A graphics card is such an important component of a modern-day computer or laptop. Be it heavy-duty games that have high-resolution graphics or powerful software that are power-packed with larger-than-life interfaces and features; all need a good graphics card to function well. When it comes to graphics cards, AMD is a force to reckon with, hands down! However, recently many gamers have complained about AMD driver crash issues on their PC. In this guide, you will find a compilation of the best troubleshooting methods that can fix AMD drivers keep crashing in Windows 10?
Jitter no! Here are some workarounds that could help you resolve the issue.
Ways To Fix AMD Driver Crashing on Windows 10
Step No. 1 – Install and Update Latest AMD Drivers
An outdated or corrupt driver can be one of the first and foremost causes of why your AMD driver is crashing on your Windows 10 computer. To fix that, first, we’ll uninstall the current AMD driver using the Device Manager –
1. Open Device Manager by pressing Windows + X and then select Device Manager
2. Click on the Display Drivers dropdown
3. Right-click on it and click on the Uninstall device button
Now, you can try and install the driver from the manufacturer’s official website to fix AMD drivers crashing in Windows 10. However, installing and updating drivers is not a simple task. And, if you want to save yourself from accidentally installing a wrong driver, you can instead use a driver updater software like Smart Driver Care that will help you get your hands on the right AMD driver and can prevent AMD drivers from crashing on your Windows 10.
“Smart Driver Care – Features At A Glance”
- Easy to use interface
- Large database of drivers
- One-click driver update
- Option to backup and restore existing drivers
- Customizable settings
Here’s how you can scan and update outdated or corrupt drivers using Smart Driver Care –
1. Install and Run Smart Driver Care
2. Click on Scan Drivers
3. You can either select all drivers and then click on Update All or select individual drivers and then click on the Update Driver button placed against each driver.
Step No. 2 – Modify TdrDelay Value In Registry Editor
To resolve the AMD driver crashing in Windows 10, you can try changing the Registry Editor’s TdrDelay value. Since making changes to the registries may lead to system issues, we recommend taking a backup of registries beforehand. Here are the steps to change TdrDelay values in Registry Editor –
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows key + R
- Type regedit in the dialog box
- Navigate to the following path –
- On the right-hand side, right-click anywhere and choose New
- Then choose DWORD (32-bit) or QWORD (64-bit)
- Rename it as TdrDelay and double-click on it and set the Value data to 8 and base to hexadecimal
- Click OKto save changes
- Restart your PC.
This is yet a new fix suggested resolving AMD drivers crashing in Windows 10 in 2021.
Step No. 3 – Uninstall Your Browser
Many users have reported that quite strangely, their browser has led to malfunctioning of the graphics card. Browsers such as Chrome or Firefox might cause AMD drivers to crash in Windows 10. You should remove your browser to fix AMD drivers crashing in Windows 10. You can instead use some of the other best browsers for your PC.
Step No. 4 – Fix Corrupt System Files
Sometimes a missing file system or a corrupt file can be the reason why your AMD driver is crashing on a Windows 10 laptop or computer. This can be resolved with the help of SFC /scannow in Command Prompt. Here is how you can repair system files and fix the AMD graphics driver crashing in Windows 10 using this function –
- Type CMD in the Windows search bar
- From the right-hand pane, choose Run as administrator
- When the Command Prompt window opens, type SFC /scannow and press enter. Wait for a while as this process may take a few minutes
- Restart your computer
With this step, all the corrupted files will be replaced, and the issue shall be resolved.
Step No. 5 – Clean Your Graphics Card
Even if, after using all the above workarounds, your AMD driver is crashing on Windows 10, you can try cleaning your Graphics card. It could be that excess dust or dirt might be causing the graphics card to malfunction. To comprehensively clean the graphics card, you would have to open the computer case and clean the surrounding fan and graphics card itself. However, we recommend that you take professional assistance for the same and this can fix AMD drivers crashing in Windows 10.
Step. No. 6 – Disable Automatic Driver Updates
One way you can fix the “AMD driver crashing in Windows 10” is by disabling automatic driver updates. Here, you can stop Windows from automatically updating drivers. Here are the steps to disable automatic updates for drivers in Windows 10 –
- Go to the File Explorer and click on this PC and right-click on it
- Then, click on Properties
- Click on Change settings under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings
- Click on the Hardware tab and then on Device Installation Settings
- Choose No and then Save Changes
- Click on Apply and then OK
Now, restart your computer and check if the issue has been resolved.
Step No. 7 – Update Windows
Quite like many other issues, if your AMD driver freezes or crashes in Windows 10 and you update your computer’s operating system, you can resolve the issue. This is because the update would patch any bugs causing problems, for instance, it can resolve any compatibility issues with the driver.
- Press Windows key + I and open Settings
- Click on Update & Security
- Click on Windows Update and then Check for updates
If there are any updates, make sure you install them. Once, you have installed the updates, restart your computer or laptop and check if the issue of the AMD graphics driver crashing in Windows 10 has been resolved or not.
1) Why does my driver keep crashing?
Drivers are software that establish communication between hardware and software and are known to crash when they become corrupt (virus infection, damaged sector, etc) or are incompatible with the hardware installed.
2) Is there any other alternative to Smart Driver Care?
We have tried and tested many driver updater applications and recommend Smart Driver Care as one of the best software. However, if you are looking for an alternative then we suggest using Advanced Driver Updater which is a fast and simple-to-use app that can update all your drivers in no time.
3) Can I delete old AMD drivers?
Any drivers that have become outdated can be safely removed by using the AMD Cleanup Utility. This free-of-cost tool can remove all installed AMD driver files and registries from your system. Once removed, you can then run the driver scan using Smart Driver Care and download/install the latest drivers in your system.
4) What causes a GPU to crash?
Your GPU can crash due to many reasons like heating issues, overclocking the GPU, insufficient airflow, dust accumulation, fan errors, etc. You can use a GPU temp monitor app to check the temperature of your graphics card.
The above-mentioned troubleshooting methods are recommended by experts on various troubleshooting forums. These methods have received positive responses and users have claimed that they have fixed issues of AMD drivers crashing in Windows 10 in 2021. There is no need to try all the methods but rather try each one and then check if the issue has been resolved. Once fixed, you can ignore the rest of the methods. Updating Drivers of your system with Smart Driver Care will reduce the time and effort taken as well as ensure that your system runs flawlessly delivering optimal performance at all times.