|Blog Summary: It can be certainly tough to stay connected with people who live far away. But thanks to some great video calling apps, you can instantly interact with anyone face-to-face via virtual meetup sessions. Apps like WhatsApp Messenger & Zoom continue to top the list of “Best Video Chatting Apps (2023)” but there are a bunch of other platforms out there that are worth trying.|
|Did You Know? The global video conferencing market is projected to grow from $6.87 billion in 2022 to $14.58 billion by 2029, at a CAGR of 11.3% in the forecast period.|
Best Free Video Calling Apps For Android & iPhone (Updated Guide)
FaceTime & Google Duo (now known as Google Meet) are undoubtedly one of the most prominent choices for starting instant conversations via voice & video calls. Here’s a rundown of other popular video chats apps for Android & iPhone users you can use right away!
1. WhatsApp Messenger
You’ll not find a better VOIP app than WhatsApp to make free calls just using your phone number. It’s a complete package for all types of contact sessions, be it personal messaging, video calling or sharing images, videos instantly, WhatsApp is the best app to reduce the gap between you & your dearest ones.
- Start video or voice call with up to 32 people.
- Message or mute participants during calls.
- Invite people to a group call by sharing a call link.
- Multitask while minimizing the in-call video screen.
- Customize their own avatars on the video chat app.
- Supports file sharing up to 2 GB.
- Get reactions via emojis on each message.
- In-chat polls to know everyone’s opinion on a subject.
Also Read: Best Lock Apps For WhatsApp
Popularly known for conducting work conferences, lectures, webinars, and virtual get-togethers, Zoom is considered one of the greatest video chat apps to use in 2023. This business-level video communication platform offers a slew of features like file sharing, attendance taking, translating captions for meetings, and more. Moreover, it encrypts all video & audio data with AES-256 encryption for secure connections.
|PRICE: Basic = Free, Pro = $149/Year, Business = $199/Year, Business Plus = $250/Year|
|SIZE: 95 MB|
|AVAILABILITY: Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, Linux & Web|
|OVERALL RATING: 4.5|
- Chat with internal & external contacts.
- Ability to share files within the app.
- Blur the background accordingly.
- Suppress background noise.
- Supports Live transcriptions.
- Ability to clip & share highlights.
- Schedule a video meeting & join with a single tap.
- Customize Siri shortcuts for hands-free voice commands.
Next, we want to introduce you to Signal Private Messenger, a stunning video chat app for Android, iPhone & web users. Packed in a clear interface, it offers a secure connection with texting, voice & video calls across the town and oceans. The application doesn’t demand any extra login, as it uses your phone number & address book to build your connections.
- Supports messaging, voice, and video calls.
- Start group video calls of up to eight people.
- Use Stickers to express emotions.
- Share videos up to 100 MB, images up to 8 MB & GIFs up to 25 MB size.
- Communications are end-to-end encrypted.
- Use disappearing messages to keep your message history tidy.
- Move your Signal account from one device to another.
- Customize chat colors, wallpapers & themes.
4. Facebook Messenger
One of the most popular & convenient video chat or VoIP applications is Facebook Messenger. It provides an instant messaging experience as well. Aside from standard features to maintain a close connection with your FB contacts, it offers exciting features to make secret chats, share stories of the day, & so on.
- Host group video calls with up to 8 people.
- Record & send voice and video messages.
- Express yourself via stickers, GIFs, and emojis.
- Add face filters while video calling.
- Share files, photos & videos in a single tap.
- Watch videos, TV shows & more with your friends.
- Customize your reaction with emojis on each text.
- Cross-app messaging & calling support
(Connect with Instagram friends directly)
You probably saw this coming, right? Listing out the best video communication apps, but not listing Skype is certainly not possible. It allows users to make voice and video calls, send instant messages, and share files with other Skype users. The app is widely used for both personal and business communication and can be downloaded across different platforms and devices, all thanks to the excellent call quality it offers. Moreover, it provides quick integration with your phone’s address book. Hence, you can effortlessly connect with your friends & loved ones.
|PRICE: Free, paid pricing plan starts from $2.99/Month|
|SIZE: At least 32 MB|
|AVAILABILITY: Android, iOS, Tablet, Desktop, Web, Alexa & Xbox|
|OVERALL RATING: 4|
- Enjoy crystal-clear audio & video calling experience.
- Immersive & full-screen video experience.
- Group video calling for up to 50 people.
- Blur the background conveniently.
- Supports call recording & live subtitles.
- Packed with handy drawing tools & Q&A.
- Send chat invites to anyone who doesn’t use Skype.
- Supports group screen sharing.
6. Google Chat
Formerly known as Hangouts, Google Chat is a multifunctional application that helps you meet every kind of communication need. You can make national & international calls for free, share pictures, videos, and emojis, do video conferencing, share location & just whatnot. It features all the essential options for instant communication & managing your work requirements.
- Enjoy one-click virtual meetup sessions.
- Build collaborative chat rooms.
- Schedule video calls in advance.
- Share files with your friends, colleagues & family.
- Options to filter conversations & content you’ve shared.
- Set themes between Dark & Light modes.
- Supports Google Workspace content creation & sharing.
From HD video calls to encrypted messaging, Telegram is a wonderful communication app that features all the essential features to connect with people globally. The latest version of the app allows up to 1000 participants in a telegram group call. It’s an excellent messaging & video chatting application that lets you share large videos and different types of documents up to 2 GB each, and even set up bots for specific tasks.
- Group video call with up to 30 people.
- Control noise cancellation while video/voice chat.
- Powerful photo and video editing tools.
- Hassle-free file transfer support.
- Send self-destructing photos/videos with a timer.
- Supports sharing your screen.
- Secure your chats with a passcode and biometric security.
To make instant voice or video calls, there’s no better application than Viber. It works on all kinds of phones and tablets. Its top-class privacy & security features for enhanced communication & data sharing experience make it one of the best apps for video calling & prompt messaging. Also, you can enjoy an ad-free experience with Viber.
- HD video & voice calls.
- Syncs automatically with other devices.
- Fun Stickers.
- Group Chats.
- Make international calls.
- Switch between chat rooms quickly.
- Block contacts.
- Hide ‘Seen’ status.
- Doodle on any picture.
- Integration with Facebook, Twitter, Cortana & more.
Designed specifically for gamers, Discord is a popular group messaging app. You can just start a server & chat with like-minded people & just talk about any topic. The video calling application mostly focuses on voice, group, and DMs for game lovers. If you’re a Twitch streamer with a great audience size, you can certainly rely on Discord for managing your following.
|PRICE: Free, Nitro = $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year & Nitro Classic = $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year|
|SIZE: 67 MB|
|AVAILABILITY: Android, iPhone, Web & PC Versions.|
|OVERALL RATING: 4.5|
- Private or group DM.
- Screen sharing.
- Voice calls, texting & a free video chat app, specifically for gamers.
- Share GIF & emojis.
- Send Instant invites to add friends to your server.
- Manage all game groups in one client.
IMO is another excellent video calling application to make high-quality video, voice & unlimited messages. The app works amazingly well over 3G & 2G networks. It lets you share photos, videos & other files with ease. You can undoubtedly rely on this video chat app for Android, iPhone & desktop to avoid SMS & Phone call charges.
- Send texts or audio messages to IMO friends.
- Make an audio/video call.
- Group video chatting.
- Make your conversations more expressive by adding stickers & emojis.
- Share photos, videos & other multimedia files.
- Block contacts.
- See the Last Seen of your IMO contacts.
- Access multiple chat clients at the same time.
- Multilingual support is available for this free video chat app.
Claimed as the most secure collaboration platform, Wire is a lesser-known video calling application. Right from testing to sharing photos to audio conferencing & HD video calling, you can find every medium to connect with your dear ones in the best way possible. Wire also supports fingerprint scanning to secure your chats in a better way. Make the most out of it & invite your friends & family to share files via guest rooms.
|PRICE: Free, Pro – $5.83/Mo & ENT – $9.50/Mo|
|SIZE: 67.6 MB|
|AVAILABILITY: Android, iPhone, Windows & Mac|
|OVERALL RATING: 3.0|
- End-to-end encrypted group chats.
- Voice calls & one-click video conferencing.
- File sharing & screen sharing support.
- Group voice calls can support 10 members.
- Support emojis, GIFs, videos, link previews, sketching & more.
- Audio filters for voice messages.
- Share texts & photos during calls.
- Integrate Wire with corporate apps & services.
- Invite partners, and teams to collaborate through unique guest rooms.
- Increase privacy via ephemeral messages & device fingerprinting.
Tango gets off to a pretty decent start, all thanks to the fact that it’s available on probably all devices, Android, iPhone, PCs & even Windows phones. With a more than 400 Million user base, it’s one of the best apps for video calling & creates live stream videos. It also has chat rooms for casual conversations with strangers. Being on a video call with Tango, you definitely lose less data & better quality.
- Make 450 minutes of video calls using 2GB of data.
- Share songs via Spotify.
- Add filters & effects throughout the video chat.
- ‘Find Friends Nearby’ is a feature to locate other Tango people close to you.
- Lets you capture & share photos & videos with friends in real time.
- Chat or make voice calls.
- Play games during video chat.
- Enjoy Live streaming possible & join other people through this free video chat app.
So, What’s Your Take On The Best Video Calling App Available Today?
All video chatting apps have their advantages, some offer incredible feature sets while some offer an amazing experience with limited bandwidth. Hence, choose the application that fulfills your needs the best! If you think we’ve missed a popular name on this list, then do mention it in the comment section below!