Unable to open Outlook on Windows 10? Is it not loading the Outlook application on your system? With millions of users using Microsoft Outlook, it is one of the most used email clients. Yet, it does trouble sometimes. So, if you are encountering Outlook won’t open problems on your Windows 10, you are at the right place.
This post will help fix Outlook won’t not open problems with Outlook 2016 and other latest versions. So, what are we waiting for? Let’s read further and learn about the quick workarounds we have complied to troubleshoot. Outlook will not open on my computer.
Ways to Fix Outlook Won’t Open In Windows 10
Quick Ways to Fix Slow Startup
Alongside fixing Outlook will not open in Windows 10, if you are facing a slow startup problem we suggest using Advanced System Optimizer.
1. Download, install and run Advanced System Optimizer.
2. Click Start Smart PC Care.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then fix all the errors found with various modules.
Tip: To achieve the best results, we recommend running the Deep Scan as it helps clean all the errors.
FAQ – Outlook Won’t Open in Windows 10
1. Start Outlook 2016 in Safe Mode and Disable Add-ons
To enjoy extra functionalities add-ons are added in Microsoft Outlook, and due to this, they stop Outlook from working. Hence, we need to run Outlook in Safe Mode and disable these add-ons.
To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + R
2. Type outlook /safe > Enter
3. Select the profile > Ok
4. Click the File tab > Options
5. Choose Add-ins > Go
6. Here, disable all the suspicious add-ins > OK
7. Once, disabled, exit Outlook 2006, and then relaunch the program. This should open Outlook normally. If not, move to the next step.
2. Create a new profile
Your Outlook profile stores all the settings. This means if the profile gets corrupt, you might face problems while running Outlook. To fix this, we suggest creating a new profile. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + X > Control Panel
2. Click Show Profiles > Add > give a name to the profile
3. Enter name, email address, and password > Next
This will help set up all email settings.
4. Click Finish. A new profile will be created. Select Prompt for a profile to be used > Ok
5. Run Outlook < select the profile > Ok
If everything works, you can switch back to an older profile.
3. Check Dialog Boxes
When you use Outlook, it asks for certain permissions. Say if you Dismiss All and then forget to confirm the action the dialog box will active. Due to this Outlook will stop responding normally and you will face problems. To switch tabs and see which boxes are open press Alt+tab, and close all opened dialog boxes.
4. Update Windows and install Office Updates
To avoid facing problems keeping Windows and all software up-to-date is recommended. This helps fix unknown bugs, improve performance, and add the latest features.
Windows updates can be downloaded and installed via Windows Update and Security.
Restart the system after this and check if the problem is fixed or not.
5. Repair Outlook Data File
Repairing Outlook Data File can help fix a lot of MS Outlook related problems. To repair these files, follow the steps below:
1. Close Office applications
2. Now head to Programs and Features > look for Microsoft Office > right-click on it > Repair.
3. Choose how you want to repair the program online or offline and then try to fix the problem.
In addition to this, to repair the data file follow the steps below:
4. Head to the folder where Office installation files are stored
5. Click Browse > select Outlook data file > Start
6. If any errors are detected click Repair. That’s it.
Tip: If you are a Microsoft Exchange User, you can delete data files and it will be recreated. To delete it > head to Control Panel > Mail > select email account > Data Files > Exchange account > Open File Location > exit Mail > switch back to the Explorer window > locate the file and delete.
6. Run Resentavpane Command if Outlook 2010 is giving issues
Outlook won’t open on Windows and can also be resolved using Resentavpane Command. To use it, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + R
2. Type outlook.exe /resetnavpane > Ok
3. Wait for the command to execute. Once done it will delete all customizations and will reset the navigation pane.
Doing so in many cases has helped fix Outlook won’t open problems.
7. Use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant
By running Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant, you can fix Outlook errors. To use it, download and fix all common errors.
8. Disable Compatibility Mode
If you have recently upgraded to Windows 10, we suggest disabling compatibility mode. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Right-click Outlook shortcut > Properties
2. Click Compatibility tab > uncheck Run this program in compatibility mode for > Apply > Ok
Now try to launch Outlook 2016, you should not face won’t launch problem any longer.
9. Run System File Checker Command
Corrupt system files too lead to Outlook not launching. Hence to fix faulty system files, follow the steps below:
1. In Windows search bar, enter Command Prompt > Run as administrator
2. Enter sfc / scannow > Enter
3. Wait for the scan to finish, once done try to open Outlook 2016. It should not throw any error message.
10. Close Outlook Properly
To fix Outlook won’t open, try closing Outlook properly. To do so, instead of clicking the X button, click File > Exit. This will close Outlook properly and will help fix the error.
11. Delete Outlook App Data Folder
Sometimes deleting data from the Outlook App folder also helps fix Outlook’s launch problem. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + R
2. Type %localappdata% > Ok
3. This will open the AppData folder here, look for the Microsoft folder
4. Search for Outlook folder > Delete it
Now, check if the issue is resolved or not. Once you delete Outlook App Data, restart the system and then launch Outlook.
12. Temporarily disable or uninstall VPN software
To hide IP addresses and to access blocked content, some users use VPN. This sometimes interferes with the working of Outlook. Hence, to address this issue temporarily disabling VPN is recommended. If this does not help, you can try uninstalling VPN this will help Outlook work properly without showing won’t open an error.
13. Check if you have permission to access PST and repair Outlook PST Files
All necessary permission for Outlook is saved in PST files, but if you don’t have the necessary permissions Outlook won’t open. To fix it, follow the steps below:
1. Locate the PST file > right-click > Properties
2. Security tab > see if the username you are logged in is under Group or user name section or not. If not click Edit
3. Click Add > add new user > enter object names to select > enter user name > Check Names > Ok
5. Select your name Group or user name > Full Control > Apply > Ok
In addition to this, you can use the in-built ScanPST tool. Now try to use Outlook, you should not face any problems.
When the registry key gets corrupt, you might face Outlook won’t open. To fix it, modify the following key.
However, before following these steps, we recommend taking a full registry backup.
To make changes to the registry key, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + R
2. Type regedit > ok
3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem
4. Select Profile > right-click > Delete
5. Reboot the system. Outlook won’t launch and the problem will now be resolved.
15. Try alternative email client
Even after following all the workarounds explained above if Outlook shows an error, we suggest using an alternate email client. You can try Mailbird for this purpose.
Steps to Fix Outlook Not Opening in Mac
If you are using Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2011 on your Mac, you can use the following steps to fix Outlook Won’t open problems.
1. Before applying other complex fixes see if an update is available. If you are using the older version, updating to the latest version will help fix Outlook could not open problems. To check for updates, follow the steps below:
- Select Help > Check for Updates.
- Click Update and wait for the process to finish
Now try to use Outlook, you should not face any problems.
2. If this doesn’t help try to rebuild the Outlook database. Doing so will help repair the corrupted database and fix the Outlook not an opening problem on Mac.
Note: If you are using a Microsoft Exchange account, and it is not synced with the server, rebuilding the database will delete all information. Hence, we suggest backing up Outlook data.
1. Close all Office applications.
2. Hold the Option key > select the Outlook icon from the Dock > open the Microsoft Database Utility.
3. Choose the database, you want to rebuild > Rebuild.
4. Wait for the process to finish and then restart Outlook.
This should fix Outlook will not stay an open problem on Mac.
Hopefully, the above workaround helps fix Outlook Won’t open problems on both Windows and Mac. In case you face any problem or a different fix worked for you, do share the same in the comments section.
FAQ – Outlook Won’t Open in Windows 10
Why is my outlook not opening Windows 10?
Well, there are several reasons due to which you might face Outlook not opening problems on Windows. But the most common ones are encountered due to outdated software or a corrupt profile. In addition to this, if a specific code is displayed, the problem can be quickly identified.
Why is Microsoft Outlook not working?
Different issues that can lead to Microsoft Outlook not working are:
- Damaged files
- Corrupted profiles
- Problematic add-ins
How do I force Outlook to open in safe mode?
To open Outlook in Safe Mode, follow the steps below:
- Select Outlook shortcut and then press and hold Ctrl key
- You will get a warning box asking to confirm if you want to open Outlook in Safe Mode > Yes
Alternatively, press Windows + R > and enter outlook.exe /safe > choose the profile >
That’s it. You will now have Outlook open in Safe mode.