VPN is a great way to stay anonymous while browsing the internet. It is for the same reason that it is gaining more and more ground by each passing day. If you want to obtain in-depth information of what a VPN is and how to set it up on your Windows 10 PC or laptop, read this. To give you a glimpse of what it does, it helps you bypass geo-restrictions and access all those websites that you can’t otherwise with a normal internet connection. You can easily access restricted social media websites, watch country restricted Netflix or Hulu libraries and whatnot.
Another important aspect of having a VPN is to know how to disable VPN on Windows 10 or turn it off when in need. The reasons could be many. Maybe the VPN you are using is slowing your internet down; perhaps your employees are misusing the VPN facility. In this blog, we’ll have a look at some of the ways through which you will be able to turn off the VPN or disable it temporarily in Windows 10. Here are some of the best VPNs for Windows 10 PC.
4 Ways To Disable VPN On Windows 10
1. Using View Network Connections
These are the steps that can be used to disable VPN, which is configured using the VPN management software, which is already there in Windows 10.
- Type and select View Network Connections in the search bar next to the Windows icon
- Under Network Connections, you will be able to see all the connections which you use to connect to the internet
- Look for the VPN that you wish to disable from the list of connections presented
- Once you have chosen the VPN, right-click on it and select Disable
2. Using Network And Internet Settings
If you want to know how to permanently or temporarily turn off VPN in Windows 10, then you can use the network and internet settings to do just that.
- Press Windows + I keys and open Settings
- Click on Network & Internet
- Under Network & Internet select VPN
- Click on the VPN that you want to disconnect
- You can either click on Disconnect or Remove
You can even disable VPN on Windows 10 by clicking on Change adapter options and then right-click on your VPN and choose disable.
3. If You Have A VPN Client
For Windows 10, one of the best VPN clients apart from the list of VPNs we have mentioned above is Systweak VPN. Make sure you check out the complete review of Systweak VPN. To disable it –
- Click on the up arrow key on your Windows taskbar also known as system tray
- Locate Systweak VPN (or your VPN clients) icon and right-click on it
- Click on Exit
To disconnect Systweak VPN, push the ON/OFF slider to the left.
Systweak VPN Features At A Glance
Here’s Why You Should Choose Systweak VPN
4. Using Local Group Policy Editor
Like mentioned above if, at any instance, you find that your employees are misusing Windows 10 VPN. Here’s a tweak you can do to group policy editor to disable Windows 10 VPN –
- Press Windows + R keys which will open the Run dialog box
- In the Run dialog box type gpedit.msc
- Follow the below-mentioned path
Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Network Connections\Prohibit access to the New Connection Wizard
- Double click on Prohibit access to the New Connection Wizard and click on Enabled radio button
- Now click Apply and then OK
In The End
We’d again like to say that we are an ardent supporter of using VPN especially when you are using a public Wi-fi like the one on an airport or cafe, or are browsing the internet while on travel. You should also know how to disable VPN on Windows 10 when required. If this blog has helped you, do give it a thumbs up by upvoting it.
Follow us on social media – Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.