If you want to change the user account name in Windows 10 that displays on your screen when you sign-in, then there are multiple ways to do it. Let’s discuss
How to Change User Name in Windows 10
You probably want to change the user name so that it looks more professional, or there could be numerous other reasons for this. If you’re going to change the user account name in Windows 10 that displays on your screen when you sign-in, then there are multiple ways to do it. In this article, we have discussed 4 best ways to change the user name in Windows 10 instantly.
Method 1: Change User Name Windows 10 via Settings
Like any other setting on your Windows 10 system, you can visit the Settings page to change the user account name. Here, it would help if you stayed logged in with your Microsoft account to change the user name using Settings. To do this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Right-click on Start menu icon and select Settings option.
- On the Settings window, select Accounts.
- Now select Manage my Microsoft account
- Next is to select Edit Profile by clicking on the drop-down menu of More Options.
- Locate the Edit Name option and click on it.
- Type the new name and save it.
That’s it. Now, you will be able to see a new Microsoft account name on your system.
Method 2: Try Netplwiz to change account user name in Windows 10
The user account settings netplwiz helps you change user names instantly on Windows 10. Let’s know how to do this?
- In the search box on the taskbar input netplwiz, and press Enter. Alternatively, you may need to select a User Account from the given options.
- Once you are on the User Accounts window, select the account for which you want to change the account name.
- Once selected, click on the Properties option given below.
- In the next window, input the new user name next to the Full Name
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
Now you will be able to see a new user name when you sign-in or sign-out the account.
Method 3: Try Local Users and Groups to Change User Name in Windows
This is another quick method to change user name in Windows. You can run a lusrmgr.msc command to do this. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Right-click Start menu and select the Run option. Alternatively, you can click Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Once Run box is open, input msc command and hit Enter. Now you will be on Local Users and Groups window.
- Here, you will find Users and Groups folders. Expand Users folder from the left pane.
- Now you will be able to see multiple user accounts. Double-click the user account you want to rename.
- Type a new user name when prompted. It will help if you input a new name next to the Full Name
- Click Apply and Ok to save the changes.
You can also use this setting to disallow the user from changing the password. To do this, check the User cannot change password option, and press Apply and OK.
Method 4: Try Control Panel to Change User Name in Windows
The last method to change the account user name on Windows is to use the Control Panel. To do this, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Press Win + R keys to open Run box. Once open, input Control Panel and press Enter. Alternatively, you can search and select Control Panel from the search box on the taskbar.
- Once you are on the Control Panel window, click on Change account type under the User Accounts
- On the next window, click the account from the given options that you would like to change the user name.
- Once selected, click Change the account name
- Now you need to input a new user name in the given box.
- Once done, click the Change Name button to save the changes.
That’s it! Now you will be able to see a new name on Window screen when sign-in and sign-out.
Now that you know different ways to change user name in Windows 10, do try them and share your experience in the comments below. If you want to know more about such tips & tips for Windows, watch this space