Error code 0xc00000f while booting Windows 10 is a common Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) fatal error. Usually, it appears after installing new software or updating an operating system. It might look like:
File: /Windows/system32/winload.exe Error code: 0xc000000f
With time as your Windows PC gets old, plenty of error messages occur when you boot the system. Therefore, it’s essential to fix these errors.
Today in this guide we will discuss how to fix 0xc00000f error while booting your Windows PC. But, before that let’s understand what is 0xc00000f and why it occurs.
What is 0xc000000f and Why It Occurs on Your Windows Computer?
0xc00000f Error code is a common Windows 10 error and it is associated with Windows Boot Manager. In simple words when the Boot Configuration Database file goes missing or is corrupted and Windows fail to start 0xc00000f error occurs.
If you think restarting the PC will fix this Windows error then you are wrong.
Hence in this article, we will talk about various fixes to troubleshoot error 0xc000000f on Windows 10.
In addition to this, if you face error messages like:
Error 0x80070057 you can read the detailed articles on how to fix these computer error messages.
Reasons For Getting Error 0xc000000f On Windows 10
Error 0xc000000f on Windows 10 occurs due to the following reasons:
- Corrupt boot sector due to infection or power outage
- Damaged hard disk
- Corrupt system drivers, system files
- Improper shutdown
- Damage External device or power cord
How to Fix Error 0xc000000f on Windows 10
There’s no single solution to fix 0xc000000f error. A solution that might work for some might not work for others. Therefore, here we enlist all the possible solutions to fix error 0xc000000f on Windows 10.
The main reason for the error code 0xc000000f is the Boot Configuration Database (BCD) file.
Solution 1: Disable peripheral hardware
The power cord when used for long can get damaged. Therefore, checking the power cord and removing external devices is the initial step to fix error 0xc000000f.
- If the power cable is damaged or you have been using it for several years replace the power cable.
- Detach all connected hardware except keyboard and mouse to see if this fixes the BSOD error code.
- Remove CD, USB, printer, and other external devices from the ports.
- Restart your PC.
This should help resolve error 0xc000000f. If your PC restarts without error the error code try identifying the damaged hardware causing the occurrence of the error message on Windows 10.
Solution 2: Use BOOTREC.EXE Utility to Reboot PC
BOOTREC.EXE utility can help fix error 0xc000000f. To use it you’d need Windows DVD or USB installation disk.
This utility helps repair the boot files and correct the boot configuration data (BCD), that controls the launching of the Windows OS. To use it follow the steps below:
- Restart your PC and use either the USB installation disk or Windows DVD.
- Next, restart your PC and press any key when prompted.
- Choose the correct date, time, language, currency before pressing NEXT.
- Choose the operating system you want to repair.
- Click “Command Prompt” in the “System Recovery Options.”
- Type “bootrec.exe” in the prompt before pressing ENTER.
This will make the utility run automatically and repair BCD before the PC is restarted. Your PC will now reboot without error 0xc000000f appearing on the screen.
Solution 3: Use Startup Repair
Before following the steps explained below change boot order in BIOS and put CD ROM or Removable Devices as the first boot choice. To learn how to reset BIOs settings read our article.
- After changing the boot order, insert the Windows installation disk and start the computer. This will help boot from the Windows installation disk.
- Once the PC is booted from Windows installation disk, click “Repair your computer.
- Click Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Repair. Once the recovery process is finished restart your PC.
You can also boot your Windows in Safe mode and try to run Automatic repair.
Solution 4: Repair BCD
As you did in Solution 3 change the boot order to CD-ROM or Removable Devices according to the medium you are using i.e. CD or USB that has Windows installation.
1. Now, insert Windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Click Repair your computer > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command prompt.
3. Now type following commands in the same order and press enter after each command:
bootrec / fixmbr
bootrec / fixboot
bootrec / scanos
bootrec / rebuildbcd
Once all commands are entered Windows will automatically scan and rebuild BCD.
After the process is finished restart your PC.
This will help fix error code 0xc00000f on Windows 10.
Using any of the solutions explained above you can easily fix the Windows error code blue screen of death error. When there is an issue with the Windows boot manager or startup files error code 0xc00000f occurs. Therefore, fixing it becomes very essential. We hope using, the above method you were able to fix the stop code error on Windows 10.
Do let us know which method worked for you, this will help us know the most effective method.