The Downloads Folder is one of the frequently used folders on your computer. This is the folder when you can find the files downloaded from the internet – documents, audio and video files, applications, and many more. And, if left unchecked, after some time you might find the folder being piled up with files and folders. However, have you ever thought about what would happen if you ever mistakenly deleted the Downloads folder? And, how on Earth will you ever get it back? Things can get worse if you are unable to access your Downloads folder.
Ways To Restore Windows 10 Downloads Folder
Much before you start working on a probable way to restore the deleted downloads folder, let’s first have a look at a preventive measure –
1. Restore Files Using The Most Effective Method
In case, there were files that you didn’t want to lose from your Downloads folder (which you have), we recommend using a data recovery solution promptly. Why? Because it will help recover the deleted files and folders before they are permanently gone.
There are several great data recovery software. Let’s have a look at one such software – Advanced Disk Recovery. It is a data recovery solution that helps you retrieve files and folders that you may have lost because of accidental deletion, system crash, or any other reason.
Advanced Disk Recovery – Features At A Glance
- Helps recover lost files from all kinds of situations
- Supports all major file formats
- Multiple scanning modes – Quick and Deep
- Effective filters to restore files based on size, time, and data
How To Use Advanced Disk Recovery
- Download and install Advanced Disk Recovery
- Select the area – e.g. the Hard Drive
- Select the Drive
- Click on Start Scan Now
- Select the Scan Type and then click on Scan now
- Select the file or folder that you want to recover and click on the Recover button from the bottom right-hand corner of the screen
- Select the location where you want to restore the file and click on Recover
Note: It is important to note that it is not recommended to restore files at their original location as that can make the file unrecoverable.
2. Restore Windows Download Folder To Original Location
Maybe you have not deleted the downloads folder and have mistakenly relocated it to some other location. In that case, if you want to restore the downloads folder to its original location, follow the steps mentioned below –
- Open your File Explorer
- Navigate to the Downloads, folder. You will find mostly find it at C:\Users\admin\Downloads but let’s say you moved it to some other location
- Head to the location, where you have placed the Downloads Folder, right-click on it, and select Properties
4.Click on the Location tab and click on the Restore Default option
3. Replace The Deleted Downloads Folder With File Explorer
Another way to get back Download’s folder is to use File Explorer. Here are the steps for the same –
- Open File Explorer
- Search for
- From the right-hand side panel, right-click on the Downloads and select Copy
- Now, head back to
C:\Users\your name folder
- Right-click once again and then choose Paste
4. Restore Download Folders By Using System Restore
It is situations like these when you would want to undo what you have done i.e. deleted downloads folder. You will positively thank the System Restore function in Windows 10. It is highly recommended that you create a System Restore from time to time. And, in case you are unaware of how it is done, we have outlined the steps for creating System Restore.
5. Take Help of desktop.ini File
Whether you want to restore downloads folder Windows 10 or any accidentally deleted folder, the below-mentioned steps will help you restore all kinds of folders in C:\Users\%USERNAME%. To restore deleted downloads folder in Windows 10, follow the steps mentioned below –
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys
- Type the following command –
- Press Enter
- In the folder options set the protected operating system files to show
- Download the desktop.zip, extract it, and right-click on the desktop.ini file
- Select Properties
- Under the General tab, click on the unlock button and then select OK
- In the
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Downloadsreplace desktop.ini file with the one that you have just extracted
- Now, type cmd in the Windows search bar and select Run as administrator from the right-hand side. Type
attrib +r -s -h %USERPROFILE%\Downloads /S /Dand press Enter
- Restart your computer
You should now be able to get back the downloads folder and be able to use it once again.
We hope you found the blog useful. We’d suggest that you bookmark this blog so that if you have to face a situation where you misplaced your download folder or accidentally deleted the Windows 10 download folder, you’ll be able to use this blog as a ready reference. For more such content keep reading Tweak Library. Follow us on social media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.