Windows 10 Migration seems like a tedious task. To make your life easier, here’s everything you need to know before you undergo the whole process!
Microsoft has already announced the (EOL) end of life for Windows 7, meaning individuals and businesses that want to continue receiving the security updates & support will have to move their system from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Well, undoubtedly, there are several challenges involved when it comes to Windows 10 Migration, but eventually, there are certain advantages that enterprises can enjoy:
- Better OS security
- New & advanced tools for better user experience
- An ability to redefine their Active Directory.
- Ability to build more stability & secure networks.
Other Significant Advantages Of Windows 10 Migration Includes:
- Windows Virtual Desktop remains standard, hence users can enjoy the same experience across PCs & IT Administrators can certainly deploy patches & other apps at one time.
- Comprehensive Universal Windows App store brings consistency across various platforms and devices without any hassles.
- Reduction on operational & license costs.
- Advantage of using Microsoft Cloud Services.
- Smooth operating system & quicker loading times.
- The all-new Enterprise Mobility Management eliminates the need for staging testing environments.
- Make the most out of mobile security features & MDM (Mobile Device Management).
- Benefits of enhanced security (via Windows Hello).
Check Out If You Can Migrate From Windows 7 To Windows 10?
Before proceeding, make sure what exact version you are running. (Start > Settings > System > About) If you are seeing Windows 7, it’s time for Windows 10 Migration!
- Ensure whether your PC can run Windows 10 or not. For this purpose, take this short quiz by Microsoft that will help you get a clear picture, whether a new OS will run properly on your PC or not.
- If you want to migrate to Windows 10 from Windows 7, to get improved speed, battery life, or performance, we would like to clarify that these reasons aren’t enough to decide if you should upgrade to Windows 10. If you are facing any of these issues, you can buy a new computer with Windows 10 OS and skip the upgrade.
- Even though you are happy with your current system speed and battery performance, it’s probably a good time to perform Windows 10 migration.
How Does Windows 10 Migration Tool Help?
If you want to keep your files, favorite programs, apps & settings after upgrading to Windows 10, or shifting from an old to new PC that already comes with the desired operating system, then using Windows 10 Migration will play a vital role to get the job done.
We are assuming; you certainly don’t want to manually transfer each file, reinstall all the Windows applications or configure the settings once again. So, switching to Windows 10 Migration tool is only the choice you are left with.
Checklist: Windows 10 Migration
Before moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10, IT Administrators are required to check whether the systems they’re trying to upgrade meet the following minimum requirements.
- Running latest Windows version: 7 or 8.1
- Graphics card with DirectX 9 or higher
- Minimum 1 GB of RAM (32-bit systems) & 2 GB for (64-bit systems)
- Minimum 16 GB disk space (32-bit systems) & 20 GB for (64-bit systems)
- Processor with 1 GHz of processing speed
- Display of 800*600 or higher resolution
How To Perform Windows 10 Migration From Windows 7?
Businesses that are planning to upgrade their systems in bulk are required to use Windows 10 Migration tools. Since there’s a lot of data to handle, restoring backup while installing a new OS might not help much. We are sharing the list of best tools to migrate for Windows 10. These professional migration tools can automatically deploy and manage the process.
1. Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)
It’s an official and free of cost Windows 10 Migration tool by Microsoft. The software comes quite handy when businesses need to replace Windows 7 systems with Windows 10 PC in bulk. The tool quickly captures the user state, network settings, group data, and more & saves into the USMT.MIG backup file. Once the Windows 10 migration is done, all the apps & settings are successfully restored.
The second tool in our list of best Windows 10 Migration tools, include. The tool is again designed and developed by Microsoft. The software can be used for both “in-place upgrade’ and ‘wipe-and-reload installs.’ Though SCCM is not a free tool, the Windows 10 migration tool works best for large scale companies. The application works excellent when it comes to managing Active Directory.
3. Media Creation Tool
Well, it’s an excellent old method for personal users to quickly upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, taking all the files and other data from one place to another. Just make sure to choose the option to migrate your data while upgrading. The only disadvantage that comes while using the Media Creation Tool is the migrated data can have a different location from where it was stored on the former PC or OS. Hence, you might face difficulty to locate the dedicated file you want to use.
4. EaseUS Todo PCTrans
Here’s another excellent Windows 10 Migration tool that lets you transfer all your data to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/XP in a much easier way. You need to click a few options to migrate all your applications and other files from the old PC to a new one with Windows 10. A simple workflow includes: Creating an image file where you need to move the files you would like to transfer and then Recover that data via an image file.
How To Upgrade To Windows 10 From Windows 7? (For Personal Users)
Follow the straightforward method carefully:
STEP 1- Purchase Windows 10 OS from the company’s website. The Home version costs $139 (which is one of the most popular & useful versions).
STEP 2- Microsoft will send you a 25-character code over Mail, once you purchase the OS. It’s the Product Key, looks like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX!
Please make a note of it somewhere, because you’ll soon need it.
STEP 3- From your PC, visit Microsoft’s website & download the Windows 20 Installation media tool. Run the file & accept all the T&C.
STEP 4- Click on the Upgrade this PC now, followed by the Next button.
It might take a couple of hours to install the new OS on your system, so keep patience!
Liked this article? Mind giving an Upvote? It keeps us motivated to produce more such content that can help users while handling their Windows, Mac, Android, iOS & other devices!