“Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart” is a common blue screen of death error messages. To fix it here in this guide, we will provide different solutions. These fixes will cover all the standard reasons responsible for the blue screen of death on Windows 10.
Try them one by one to get rid of computer screen error and restart your system properly without rebooting in a loop.
To completely optimize your Windows 10 system, try using Advanced System Optimizer software. Offered by Systweak, this PC cleaning tool is thoroughly tested and trusted by millions of users.
Download for Windows
Now, let’s begin with answering the question of how to fix your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart Windows 10.
Also Read: Best Cleaner for Windows 10
Below is quick navigation to solutions click Detailed information to know more about them.
|Can boot Windows||Boot in Windows 10 safe mode followed by booting normally > run CHKDSK > system log… Detailed information|
|Update Drivers||Head to Device Manager update driver or can use Smart Driver Care to update outdated driver Detailed information|
|Cannot boot Windows||Do a system restore > image recovery> restore registry Detailed Information|
|Stuck in restart loop||Startup repair > system recovery > restore registry > safe mode Detailed information|
Different BSOD Error Messages
Blue Screen of Death displays various error messages most commonly, “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.” Besides, there are others too. Here we enlist those other stop code error messages also:
Stop Code: 0xC000021A
Reason for BSOD Message on Windows 10
Each stop code error tells the possible reason for the problem. Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart error message can occur due to various reasons. Here are some of the common causes of computer error messages.
- Changes in registry
- Damaged or corrupt system files
- Faulty device driver
- Improper hardware connection
- Wrong system shutdown
- Infected system
These issues lead to BSOD error messages accompanied by Windows 10 stop code registry error, Automatic Repair loop; your PC will automatically restart in one minute, etc.
Now, that we know, the reason let’s learn about the fixes.
9 Fixes to Troubleshoot Your PC Ran Into a Problem and Needs to Restart in Windows 10
Generally, after receiving a PC error message, your system restarts automatically and runs automatic repair. In most cases, this doesn’t work, and you end up getting Your PC did not start correctly, or Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart the loop. Carry out the following solutions to fix the BSOD problem in Windows 10.
Solution One –
After encountering the error message if your system boots usually, then follow the steps below to troubleshoot the problem and avoid facing the stop code error message.
1. Boot Windows In Safe Mode
If the problem you are facing is related to corrupt system files, malware, or some driver related issue booting Windows in Safe Mode can help fix the problem.
To boot into Safe Mode on a PC that boots regularly, follow the steps below:
- In Windows search, type Settings and press enter.
- Click Update & Security > Recovery.
- Advanced startup > Restart now
- Once PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart
- You’ll now see Startup Settings. Select from any of three Safe Mode options:
Enable Safe Mode
Enable Safe Mode with Networking
Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- Restart your system.
This should fix the problem, and you will now be able to restart your system without encountering stop code: your PC ran into a problem error message.
2. Run CHKDSK Command
Fix bad sectors on disk as this might be the cause of the problem you are facing. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Right-click This PC and select Properties from the context menu
- Tools > Check > Scan drive.
Since this method is secure and works like CHKDSK, we used this. Once your disk is checked for errors and all bad sectors are fixed, run your system. You should now not face, “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart” with “INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE”, error message.
3. Free up Space on System Drive
Many times if sufficient space is not available on C drive (system drive) you might face this error message. To fix it, clear junk files from the system drive or extend disk partition to create space.
4. Check System Log
Examining Event Log to find the reason behind the Blue Screen of Death is a great idea to fix things. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Event Viewer in Windows search > Run as administrator
- Unhide Windows Logs > System
- Look for the errors that occur during the time of Blue Screen of Death and fix them as per the given information.
Now, check your system. You should now not face your PC ran into problems.
If this doesn’t help, move to the next steps.
5. Update Outdated Driver
Manually updating system drivers are tricky; therefore, to make things simple and easy, we recommend using Smart Drive Care.
Developed by Systweak, this driver updating tool scans your system for a corrupt and incompatible drive. Once they are detected, it shows you a list giving you full control over whether to update or not. Being into business for 20+ years, Systweak knows what customers want. Hence, the company offers both free and paid versions (60-day-money back guarantee). Moreover, it takes backup of old drivers allowing you to revert changes if anything goes wrong.
- Once downloaded, install the program.
- Next click Start Scan Now to run a scan and identify outdated drivers
- Afterward, if you are using the paid version, you can update all drivers at once. However, if you are using the free version, you will need to update them one by one.
Now, try and see the Blue Screen of Death message on Windows 10 with stop code Your PC ran into a problem that should be fixed.
6. Run Automatic Repair
When you encounter Your PC ran into a problem and need to restart you will get Automatic Repair screen with two options at the bottom right corner.
Most of the time users use Restart option but it doesn’t work hence we will use Advanced options.
So, click Advanced options > Troubleshoot. Here look for Advanced options as clicking on it will give different options that will help solve the problem.
A short description of all the terms:
- System Restore lets you revert a computer to an older functional state.
- Command Prompt allows using command lines to run certain operations.
- System Image Recovery by using the system image created by you can give a new life to your PC. If no image is created, use another option.
- Startup Settings helps change Windows startup behavior by enabling Safe mode and inactivating automatic system restart when you encounter when Blue Screen of Death occur.
- Startup Repair is used to repair corrupt files
Now, that you know the meaning of each option let’s learn how to perform system restore.
To perform System Restore follow the steps below:
- Select System Restore from Advanced Options.
- Pick a date when your system was working fine > Restore
- Wait for the process to complete > restart your system.
- Insert the disk which has a system image.
- Select System Image Recovery from Advanced options
- Under Re-image your computer > choose system image > Next
- Follow on-screen instructions
- Restart your system
7. Revert Registry Configuration
If none of the above steps works for you as you don’t have a system image or restore point don’t worry use Command Prompt and restore registry.
To do so, follow the steps below:
- Click Command Prompt
- If you are using multiple accounts select the one you are facing the problem with and enter password
- Next, enter following command in Command Prompt window:
REN default default1
ren sam sam1
ren security security1
ren software software1
ren system to system1
copy * c:\windows\system32\config
- Exit command prompt and restart PC.
The above commands will help replace system32 config files that have been altered or corrupted. If the error message Your PC ran into a problem is caused due to registry errors, this method will work.
Stuck in Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart the loop.
Unlike the above two cases in this, your system keeps on restarting automatically in a loop. To fix it you can try recovering data from corrupt OS drivers or can use Windows Installation Disk.
If you don’t have one, you’ll have to create one. To do so read how to create.ISO using Media Creation Tool.
Once created, follow the steps to use it.
- Attach bootable media to the system with errors and let the installation files load.
- You’ll now see Windows Setup, choose Next.
- Hit Repair your computer followed by Troubleshoot then Advanced options
- Perform either of the operations based on the above explanation.
If you choose Safe Mode – the diagnostic mode to fix Windows problem, try performing the following things:
- Uninstall corrupt software
- Update outdated system driver
- Run malware
- Run SFC
8. Uninstall corrupt software
Settings > Apps > Apps & features
Select the application you think is problematic > Uninstall
9. Scan system using Windows Defender
- In Windows search bar type Settings
- Look for Update & Security
- In the new window click Windows Security from the left pane.
- Now click Virus & threat protection option present in the right pane./
- Expand Scan options.
- Choose the type of scan and click Scan Now
Fix detected infections
Type Command Prompt in Windows search
Here enter SFC/scannow command, let it run.
This should fix Your PC and run into problems.
Using the above solutions, you can fix the most dreaded message “Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart on Windows 10. You should now be relieved as you know how to fix the Blue Screen of Death with different stop code errors.
Hope you were able to resolve Your PC ran into a problem error message using the steps explained. If you face any problem, do leave us a comment, and we will try our best to help.