If you have been using a Windows computer for years, then you must have encountered Blue Screen errors more than once in your life. It seems quite irritating especially when you are in the middle of some important work.
Have not encountered these errors till now and don’t want to be in this kind of distress again, then the best possible solution is to use preventive measures to maintain your PC and avoid unexpected errors like Blue Screen.
PC maintenance is certainly a cumbersome task as keeping track of unwanted files, apps and other documents along with keeping your drivers updated are not easy. It is recommended to regularly run Disk Cleanup and Disk Check to keep your PC organized. Also, you should defragment your drives from time to time, this will keep your PC managed and decrease the occurrence of issues such as Blue Screen.
In this guide, we will talk about how to fix and prevent Blue Screen errors:
Steps To Prevent Blue Screen Errors
1. Automatic Updates
One of the most important things to remember is updating your computer. With Windows 10 introduced, the automatic updates option is a recommended setting for Windows. However, people usually choose to install updates manually due to various reasons, therefore they only get critical updates, rest are updated as and when they install it. This, in turn, makes you PC vulnerable.
If you are not an advanced user, it is recommended to set the updates to be downloaded and installed automatically. Allow Microsoft to decide which update will be important for your OS build.
All the important updates released for your PC come as a KB update. You can check them by following these steps:
- Type Control Panel in the search bar and press enter.
- On Control Panel window, click Programs->Programs & Features.
- Now locate View installed updates.
You can check all the updates installed on your computer. You can get a reoccurring error fixed if Windows support mentioned it to be resolved in the KB update.
If you don’t find the KB update downloaded, you can download it and install the fix.
2. Windows Disk Check Utility
Disk Check is available since Windows 95. It is a feature that enables you to check the health features of any drive on your PC.
To do Disk Check, follow these steps:
- Go to the drive that you want to check and right-click and select Properties.
- Go to Tools.
- Click Check in the Error Checking.
This will check your drive for file errors. If it finds any errors, Windows will try to fix the errors by either marking the sector bad or overwriting the data with the original sector.
If one of these is encountered, Windows will attempt to fix the errors, either by marking the sector as bad or by moving the files and try to overwrite the data to the original sector.
3. Disk Clean Up & Defragmentation
Disk Cleanup is a great way to remove unwanted files from your computer. It clears space by deleting unwanted files, and but also removes leftover files such as old installation files of Windows.
To perform disk clean up, follow these steps:
- Type cleanup in the start menu search bar and press Enter
- Disk Cleanup window will prompt you to select a drive.
- Click OK. Disk Cleanup will calculate the space that could be recovered.
- You will get a list of items that can be removed from your system to clear disk space, including Downloaded Program Files, Temporary files (Temp) and Offline web pages.
- You will be prompted to delete all files permanently. Click Delete files to confirm.
On the other hand, Defragmentation also helps to enhance your drive’s health. When done regularly both of the tools contribute to keeping your PC healthy. By defragmenting your drive, you structure your file system again. In other words, it is a process of locating and arranging fragments and restoring them into a whole file.
This will reduce load times, prevent data corruption, in turn, improving overall performance.
To defragment your drive, follow these steps:
- Type Defragment and Optimize drive in the search bar next to Start button and press Enter.
- On Optimize Drives window, select the drive and click Optimize.
4. Keep Your Drivers Updated
It is important to keep PC drivers updated in order to keep your computer running smoothly. Driver update can be hard to track and download that’s why you must get a good driver updater tool for Windows. One of the best driver updaters is Advanced Driver Updater.
It is an amazing tool that can deal with corrupted and missing drivers on your PC. Follow below steps to get all your PC drivers updated:
- Download and install Advanced Driver Updater on your Windows PC.
- Launch Advanced Driver Updater
- Click Start Scan Now.
- It will show you a list of outdated drivers. Click Update All to update your PC drivers
Note: If you want to exclude any driver from getting updated, remove the checkmark next to it.
Restart your computer once done. To keep your drivers updated, you can schedule a driver scan from the Settings tab to stay hassle-free.
So, in this way, you can maintain your PC health and fix and avoid blue screen errors. It is recommended to use Windows utilities to keep your system healthy and use Advanced Driver Updater to keep your driver updated. These few things will help you keep your PC healthy.