Despite being familiar with the fact that using a phone in dark can cause some serious damage to the eyes. Most of us just can’t resist taking that last glimpse of our social media feeds before going to bed. Sure, turning the brightness to zero can help, but thankfully companies have introduced ways to apply dark themes across all apps.
So, in this blog, we have compiled all the bits & pieces of activating dark mode on popular Operating Systems, Web browsers & Social Media Platforms. Let’s start by learning How To Activate Windows 10 Dark Mode.
How To Set Up Dark Mode Based On Operating Systems?
Dark Mode is a popular design trend that has quickly find its way onto almost all devices. Let’s see how to enable it on all the major platforms.
Enable Windows 10 Dark Mode
Microsoft was one of the early adopters to add Dark Mode on Windows 10. If the dark mode is worth trying on your desktop, follow the steps below:
- Go to Start Menu > Click on the gear icon to open the Settings menu.
- Head over to the Personalization menu & choose the Colors tab.
- Under Choose your default app mode, click on the Dark option.
Enjoy Windows 10 dark mode on your desktop to the fullest!
Enable MacBook Dark Mode
Apple has made users’ life easier than ever before by bringing dark mode in macOS Mojave.
If you have recently downloaded & installed macOS Mojave:
- Then the very first pop-ups you’ll receive on your screen will be to choose between Light & Dark Mode. Once you select the desired option, your OS will boot up directly with the chosen mode.
If this isn’t the first time, you’re booting up macOS Mojave:
- Head to System Preferences. You can reach there by doing a spotlight search & typing System Preferences.
- Once it’s opened > go to General > the very first option in the category will be Appearances.
- Simply select the Dark icon to switch to MacBook Dark Mode.
Experience night mode on macOS instantly!
Enable Dark Mode Android
Depending on the device & version of Android you’re using, the steps to enable night mode on Android can differ. Below method shows the option to activate the dark theme on Android 9.0 Pie.
- Go to your Android Settings.
- Choose the Display option & reach to Advanced drop-down menu, you can locate it at the bottom of the page.
- Tap on Device theme option & select Dark from the pop-up menu.
This is how you can set up a dark theme on your Android device!
Enable iOS Dark Mode
Since most of the users already have or would be upgrading to the latest iOS 13, we will be showing how to use dark mode on the same.
Enabling dark mode in iOS is easy:
- Reach to the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Go to the Display & Brightness section.
- Under Appearances tab > select Dark to switch to the night mode.
Note: You can also switch to the Automatic button, doing so will cause your device to automatically change to Light or Dark mode according to sunrise & sunset.
Image Source: igeeksblog
If you’re on iOS 12, unfortunately, there’s no official way to enable dark mode on it, but that doesn’t mean you can’t feel the dark theme on your iPhone. iOS 12 feature Smart Invert can help you experience it. Let’s see how to enable it!
To activate iOS dark mode on iOS 12:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Go to General Settings > tap on Accessibility & choose Display Accommodations.
- Now go to Invert Colors settings, you’ll get two options: Smart Invert & Classic Invert.
Toggle the switch next to Smart Invert to change the entire interface!
How To Set Up Dark Mode On Different Web Browsers?
Darkening your browser is way easier. Just follow the step by step method to Activate Night Mode on popular web browsers: Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari & Microsoft Edge.
Enable Dark Mode On Google Chrome
When you enable Windows 10 dark mode on your system, it automatically gets applied to the Chrome browser as well. But not completely (the dark theme is applicable on tabs, search & bookmark section only), so if you wish to get full dark mode on Google Chrome, follow the steps below.
- Add Dark Reader Extension on Google Chrome.
- The extension works amazingly to darken the content of the web page as well.
On macOS & iOS
On both platforms, you aren’t required to enable dark mode separately on Chrome. Just follow the aforementioned steps to apply dark mode from System Preferences & Display Accommodations for macOS & iPhone respectively.
There’s a little different way when it comes to applying Dark Mode Android for Chrome users. You have to dig a dark theme for Chrome from browser settings.
- Launch Google Chrome on your smartphone > Go to its Settings.
- Under Themes option, choose Dark, to apply the night mode instantly.
- If you wish to see all the webpages content in dark, you have to go one more step ahead.
- In the Chrome search bar, type chrome://flags > tap enter to open it.
- On the Flags page > locate Dark option & Enable “Android web content dark mode”.
You have successfully set up the night mode for webpage content as well.
Enable Dark Mode On Safari
Safari doesn’t possess a direct way to apply dark mode. But you can still experience a dark theme on the browser. Wondering how? It has a built-in reader specifically designed for night reading.
- Open Safari on your iOS device,
- Go to any website and tap on the Reader View icon, located at the left corner of the address bar.
- Now tap on the Text button and select the theme & select the dark theme.
Normal, Grey, Slightly Yellow & Dark themes are also available with Safari!
Enable Dark Mode On Firefox
If you wish to enjoy the dark theme on Firefox only & not on the whole OS, then follow the below steps:
- Launch Firefox on your Windows or macOS.
- Click on the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines).
- Locate the Add-on option & choose Themes from the left panel.
- Enable the button right next to Dark Theme.
Want to apply a dark theme to the content of the whole webpage also? Try using a third-party extension like Dark Reader. This extension will work for your Android & iOS Firefox browser too!
Enable Dark Mode On Microsoft Edge
If you’re working with the Microsoft Edge browser, then applying Dark Mode is as easy as ABC.
- Just open the browser on your device.
- Click on the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines).
- Find Settings menu > Choose Dark Theme & that’s it!
You have successfully set up the night mode for the Microsoft Edge browser.
How To Activate Dark Mode On Social Media Platforms?
We spent most of our time using social media apps like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & Instagram. So, ever wished to browse them in Dark Mode? If yes, then keep reading!
Enable Dark Mode On Facebook Messenger
Dark Mode for Facebook Messenger was initially rolled as an Easter egg for both Android & iPhones. However, it’s now permanently available to the users.
- Launch Facebook Messenger on your device.
- Go to your Profile icon, locate at the top-left corner of your screen.
- Toggle on Dark Mode switch to enable night mode instantly.
Follow the same method to toggle off the Dark mode option on Messenger.
Enable Dark Mode On Twitter
Follow the straightforward method to apply night mode on Twitter.
- Launch Twitter app on your phone.
- Swipe right to open the Twitter menu on your device.
- Tap on the Bulb icon, located in the bottom left corner.
As soon as you tap on the icon, a dark theme will be applied to your Twitter account.
Enable Dark Theme On YouTube
If you’re using the desktop version of YouTube, follow the steps to enable night mode on YouTube:
- Launch YouTube and click on your Profile icon, located at the top-right corner.
- From the drop-down options, choose Dark Theme
- Open YouTube app on your device.
- Go to the app Settings, you click the profile icon present on the top-right to open it.
- Tap on the General option. (You’ll not find this option in iPhone, so you can directly switch to Dark Theme slider)
- Toggle on Dark Theme to apply night mode instantly in Android or iPhone.
Stream your favorite videos in Dark Mode from now!
Enable Dark Theme On Instagram
Officially there’s no direct way to enable dark mode on Instagram, so we’ll be sharing a simple trick that will help you enjoy using Instagram in a dark theme.
- Install a third-party tool Friendly for Instagram app.
- It brings several features to help you make the most of Instagramming.
- To use the application, just install it on your phone > login with your Insta ID & Password.
- You’ll be presented with lots of options to change the colors of your Instagram interface.
- Choose Dark Mode or any other color of your choice!
Not only this, this third-party has options to download IG videos, GIFs & other videos too.
Paint The World With Dark Color!
Everyone can relate to ‘being in a dark room where you got this white screen blinding you’. But now with the help of these short step-by-step guides, you can completely transform the way you interact with the digital content.
Have anything in mind you would like us to share about? Mention them in the comment section below!