There are high chances that you use Gmail as your email client. It is advisable to backup Gmail emails from time to time to keep emails safe just in case something goes wrong with your account. Your quest for how to backup Gmail mails can land you on one of the important Gmail tips and tricks. Apart from backing up emails, you would also be able to access any attachments that are linked to your emails. If you are wondering how to backup Gmail emails, we have got you covered.
Best Ways To Backup Gmail Emails
Method No 1 – Using Google Takeout To Backup Gmail Emails
This method can be used to archive Gmail emails manually . You must remember that using Google Takeout to backup Gmail emails does take some time. Here’s how you can backup Gmail emails using Google Takeout –
- Go to https://myaccount.google.com and sign in using your Gmail account
- Under Privacy & personalization located on the left panel, click on Data & personalization
- Under Download, delete, or make a plan for your data, choose Download your data
- Now, you will be asked which data you wish to include. It is advisable that you deselect all and choose Mail
- Once you are through with this, click on Next step present at the bottom of the page
- Here, you can Customize archive format by choosing your desired Delivery method, Export type, and File type & size
- Once you have customized archive format, click on Create Archive
It would take a considerable amount of time (a few hours to a few days) for the archive process to finish. But you needn’t worry as soon as the archive is created, you will be notified via email.
Method No 2 – Backup Gmail Emails Using Gmail Settings
To backup Gmail emails, you will have to enable the IMAP access in Gmail account settings
- After you have signed into your Gmail account click on the gear icon present at the top-right and click on Settings
- Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
- Add a forwarding address, and Check Enable IMAP radio button
You can also view Gmail Email Offline Using Google Chrome
- Open Gmail in Google Chrome
- Select Settings (gear icon), and choose Settings
- Just below the General Tab you will find Offline, click on that
- Check Enable offline mail
Note: There needs to be enough space available for you to use offline mail else you will find the option disabled.
- After having made changes to sync and security settings as per your likings select Save Changes
- Now enter mail.google.com in your browser’s address, and you will be able to access your mail offline.
Method No 3 – Using Outlook To Backup Gmail Emails In PST Format
Owing to the fact that Gmail emails can be very critical, you might want to take a backup of all the emails. If you have Outlook, you can take a backup of all your Gmail emails in PST format. Here’s, how you can take a backup of Gmail emails using Outlook –
- Select File and choose Add Account
- In the Auto Account Setup that opens enter details like your name, Gmail address (in the Email Address field) and Password
- Click on the Next button
- Once your Outlook has synced with your Gmail account, click on Finish. You will now see that all your Gmail emails have started to appear in Outlook as well
- Now again open File, choose Open & Export
- From the Import and Export Wizard, choose Export to a file, and click on Next
- Choose Outlook Data File (.pst)
- Choose the Gmail account that you want to export and also include subfolders and click on Next
- Now, Browse for the location that you wish to save your data in, and click on Finish
Creating A Backup Of Files And Folders Is Equally Important
Since we are emphasizing so much on backing up Gmail emails, we would also like to take this opportunity to establish that creating a backup of all files and folders on your PC is equally important. Your PC could be subjected to several kinds of mishaps (though we hope it doesn’t !), for instance, your PC is on the verge of crashing down or it could be that your PC has been attacked by Ransomware.
Much before that happens, why not keep a backup of your existing data intact. You could utilize many cloud backup and storage services. For example, Right Backup is one of the safest, easiest and the most secure online storage that helps you create a backup of all your files and folders and puts it on the cloud. You can also customize scheduling your backup and manage it across several devices.
Download Right Backup
Hope you found this information to be useful. Do let us know if the steps mentioned above have helped you in creating a backup of emails in Gmails. Also, Do not forget to subscribe to Systweak Blogs and our Facebook Channel and YouTube Channel for interesting tech-related articles.