In this article, we will cover the steps on how to disable the registry editor of Windows 10. As you know that the Windows Registry is the hierarchical database of all the settings in your computer, it would not be wise to disable this amazing utility. However, disabling the Registry means that it would continue to function as it always does but no one (except you or an exceptionally tech-savvy guy) would be able to access it on your PC and make any sort of unauthorized changes. Blocking the Windows Registry is not an easy task and you must read this article to the end and attempt this procedure if you completely understand the steps.
Why Would I Want To Block the Windows Registry?
Tech-Savvy Kids. With computer studies being introduced as a part of most educational curriculums, kids have now become tech-savvy and tend to try out making undesirable changes in the PC to satisfy their curiosity. With the registry blocked, they may not be able to make any serious changes.
Guest Users. Disabling the registry editor is also useful especially when you have multiple guest users using your PC. This is true for computers in public places like libraries, schools, colleges, cafes, etc.
How to Disable Access to the Registry Editor in Windows 10
Using the Group Policy Editor, we’ll show you how to disable access to the Registry Editor in Windows 10 today. In a Windows domain context, the Group Policy Editor allows a network administrator to control the settings on all of the computers in the network. You can use the Local Group Policy Editor to change some Windows settings that aren’t available in the PC Settings program or the Control Panel.
Note: The Group Policy Editor is not available in Windows 10 Home operating systems.
Step 1: To launch the Run dialogue box, press Windows key + R. Then, hit Enter after typing gpedit.msc.
Step 2: Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor.
Step 3: Then, in the right pane, double-click the Prevent access to registry editing tools setting.
Step 4: Select Enabled in the upper-left corner of the Prevent access to registry modifying tools dialogue box, then click OK.
Step 5: Restart your computer after closing the Local Group Policy Editor.
Step 6: Any user who tries to access the Registry Editor after you’ve disabled access will be greeted by the User Account Control dialogue box. The following error notice appears after that.
Step 7: Reopen the Prevent access to registry editing tools setting in the Local Group Policy Editor to re-enable access to the Registry Editor. On the Prevent access to registry editing tools dialogue box, choose either Not Configured or Disabled.
Bonus Tip: Use Advanced System Optimizer To Optimize and Defragment Registry?
The Windows Registry Cleaner Software category includes a variety of programs, but Advanced System Optimizer is the finest Registry Cleaner for Windows 10. I’ve been using this software for a few years and consider myself fortunate to have discovered it. This software not only cleaned and optimized my Registry, but also improved the general efficiency of my machine, allowing it to function at its best.
- ASO includes registry management software that cleans and optimizes the Windows Registry, ensuring smooth PC performance while also reducing Registry size.
- The Disk Optimizer frees up space by removing unneeded and obsolete files from your system. It also allows users to check and manage disc space as well as troubleshoot specific disc problems.
- This program can free up RAM and memory while also optimizing your system so that you can play games without interruption. It also aids in the detection of outdated, missing, or corrupted drivers and their replacement with the most compatible and up-to-date version.
- Advanced System Optimizer comes with a robust engine that functions as a real-time system guard against Malware, Spyware, and Trojans. It also safeguards critical information and deletes browsing history.
- ASO’s Backup & Recover Optimizer allows customers to back up their files and store them on an external device. You can always recover your files from a backup if something goes wrong. It also assists in the recovery of files that have been mistakenly destroyed.
- Advanced System Optimizer also performs driver upgrades and assists in the removal of starting items and uninstalling programs.
The Final Word On How to Disable Access to the Registry Editor in Windows 10
Thus you know how to disable your Windows Registry in Windows 10 so that others cannot make major changes to your system. Another important fact is that cleaning and optimizing your Windows Registry regularly is critical. Unfortunately, this process cannot be completed manually and necessitates the use of a strong program. This is why Advanced System Optimizer is the Best Registry Cleaner for Windows 10, since it provides a comprehensive all-in-one solution for all of your computer problems.
Follow us on social media – Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. For any queries or suggestions, please let us know in the comments section below. We would love to get back to you with a solution. We regularly post tips and tricks, along with answers to common issues related to technology.