Several reasons you might wish to reset your Gmail password, ranging from a suspected security attack to a newly discovered desire for privacy. Even if you don’t have a special reason, changing your password every few months is usually a good idea to keep your account safe. If you have forgotten your password, you may need to retrieve it as one of the reasons to change your Gmail password. The procedure for regaining your password differs somewhat from that of changing it. You’ll find step-by-step instructions for resetting your Gmail password below. Let’s look into it.
Tips to keep in mind for keeping your Gmail account safe –
- According to security experts, you should change your password every three months.
- Stop using the same password for all of your accounts. As if one account is compromised, they are all open to compromise.
- Use a password with at least fifteen characters with a combination of numbers, letters, and special characters. You could also create an algorithm for each password to help you remember it.
- Keep your contact information updated and check it periodically. Once a hacker has gained access to your account, they will not have it for long. Notifications, backup email addresses, 2FA, and text alerts will notify you as soon as your contact information is updated.
How To Reset Gmail Password
1. Enter the Last Remembered Password –
Step 1: Go to the Gmail login page and input your email address.
Alternatively, you may go directly to the Gmail account recovery center, input your Gmail address, and then click NEXT.
Step 2: In the following step, choose Forgot Password.
Step 3: You will be prompted to enter the last remembered password.
Step 4: Enter the most recent password you recall for this Gmail account and click NEXT.
Follow the on-screen instructions to recover your Gmail account and set a new password for it.
If it works, your problem is fixed; otherwise, proceed to the next method to reset Gmail password.
2. Use the Option of Recovery Email
Note: This method only works for those who have previously set up a recovery email account with your Gmail account & verified it. Otherwise, you can move on to the next method.
Step 1: Repeat Steps 1-4 from the above method, and then if you fail to discover your last password, move to the Try another way button.
Step 2: You can opt for the recovery email method to reset your Gmail password. Enter the email address connected to your Gmail account. Once Google verifies it, they will send a verification code to the email account.
Step 3: You need to check your backup email for your Gmail password recovery. You have to search for an email containing a six-digit verification code.
Step 4: Now, on the Gmail page, input the 6-digit code you received in the mail into the relevant form.
Step 5: If the code was successful, you might now reset your Gmail password.
If this approach does not work for you, you must undergo another procedure.
3. Using Phone number
This is another famous method for Gmail password recovery. Follow the steps mentioned below to get access to your Gmail account:
Step 1-4 are the same as the above two methods.
Step 2: Now, you have to click on the option ‘Try another way’ until you reach the screen that says “Get a verification code with your phone number.”
Step 3: Enter your phone number and press the SEND button.
Step 4: Now, you will see several options for receiving the code from Google: Send a text message or receive a phone call. Choose your preferred method.
Note: If you don’t see the selections, proceed to the next step.
Step 5: Click Next after entering the verification code.
Step 6: To reset the Gmail password, simply follow the on-screen instructions.
What to Do if None of These Solutions Works?
You should be able to reset your Gmail password by now. However, if you cannot do it, try this out.
If you are not remembering the backup Gmail or don’t have access to it now, this method is beneficial. Click “Try a different question” once again. We’re now approaching earlier, less secure strategies of account protection, such as answering the security questions like “what’s your mother’s maiden name?” At least one of these should be easy for you to answer. If you answer it correctly, automatically, you will get the option to reset your Gmail password.
What Happens Once You Change Your Gmail Password?
If you change or reset password, you will be logged out of all other devices except:
- Devices that you have used to confirm your identity when you sign in.
- Some devices include third-party apps to which you have granted account access.
- The home devices from which you have given the account access.
When you know your existing Gmail password, how do you change it?
Resetting your password is as simple as clicking a link if you already know it and can access your account.
- Go to the Gmail login page and then sign in.
- In the left menu, select “Security,” then scroll down to the “Signing in to Google” section.
- If asked, enter your existing password by clicking “Password.”
- Enter and confirm your new password, then click “CHANGE PASSWORD.”
If you follow the steps correctly, you will be able to change Gmail password.
Tips to keep in mind when you are trying to recover your Gmail Account
The first step is to return to the Account Recovery page as you did in one of the solutions. Keep in mind the following points when you are trying to change Gmail password.
- Use a familiar device, such as a smartphone, a computer browser, or a tablet. If you used the Gmail account on that particular device, return to it for recovery.
- When you choose to use your last password, Google will ask for the most recent one you used, but many individuals have discovered that earlier passwords will also get you through the password reset procedure.
- Use the same recovery email you did before the account was hijacked when logging into your recovery email account.
Remembering a forgotten password can be a tedious process. Fortunately, Google provides many techniques for attempting to recover a Gmail password. As is usually the case, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure; take the necessary security precautions before getting caught in a password-related problem.
We hope the article was helpful for you in learning how to reset your Gmail password. We would like to know your views on this post to make it more useful. Your suggestions and comments are welcome in the comment section below. Share the information with your friends and others by sharing the article on social media.
We love to hear from you!
We are on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Let us know of any queries or suggestions. We love to get back to you with a solution. We regularly post tips, tricks, and answers to common technology-related issues.
Related Topics –