Windows 11 is now available for all Windows desktop users as a free upgrade from Windows 7, 8, and 10. If you have an older PC that doesn’t support Windows 11, don’t worry — there are ways to install Windows 11 on an unsupported PC.
Unfortunately, Microsoft does not officially support installing the latest version of Windows on older machines. You may run into problems if your computer lacks the proper hardware or software to support the new OS. However, there are ways to get around these limitations and install Windows 11 on almost any machine.
This article covers the minimum system requirements to install and run Windows 11 on any device, whether they’re officially supported or not. If you meet those requirements and want to know how to manually install Windows 11 on an unsupported PC instead of waiting for the update to arrive automatically, keep reading.
Minimum Requirements To Install Windows 11 On Your PC
- A processor of at least two cores and clocked @ 1GHz or more. 64-Bit processor.
- A minimum of 4GB RAM.
- A minimum of 64GB storage space.
- Secure Boot, UEFI capable system firmware.
- TPM (Trusted Platform Module) 2.0
- Must work with WDDM 2.0 driver and comply with DirectX 12 or later.
- A 9-inch or larger monitor with a resolution of at least 720p.
In case your system doesn’t meet the requirements mentioned above, don’t worry. We’ll teach you how to set up Windows 11 on an unsupported PC. The entire procedure has been divided into manageable parts from beginning to end.
How To Install Windows 11 On An Unsupported PC
First, we need to download the Windows 11 ISO files, and here’s how you will do it:
1. Download Windows 11 ISO Files
- Click on this link to open the official Microsoft Windows 11 software download page.
- After landing on the page, scroll down to the option “Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO)” and tap on the drop-down arrow icon.
- Select the only available option “Windows 11 (multi-edition ISO), and click on the download button.
- Now select the product language by clicking on the drop-down option adjacent to the “Choose one” and hit the “Confirm” button.
- Now click on that “64-bit Download” button.
This will take some time because the Windows 11 ISO file size is more than 5 GB. While it downloads, let’s move on to step 2.
2. Alter The Windows Registry To Bypass Some CPU Checks
The next step is to edit your Registry to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware. When you restart your computer and choose the next option, the computer will overlook any issues with your CPU, even if TPM 2.0 is required.
- Press the “Windows” key with the key “R” to open the “Run” dialogue box.
- Now type “Regedit” in the blank space and hit the enter key.
- Here, look for the navigate to the exact following path “
- Now right-click in the blank space in the right pane, choose “New,” and then pick “DWORD (32-bit) Value.”
- You can change the name of the value to “All, “UpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU” once it has been created.
- Now that the new value has been added, double-click it and type 1 into the blank space below the “Value data” box. Finally, press OK to finish and exit the registry editor.
Now we will look at the final step to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware.
Read Also: How To Change DNS Server in Windows 11
3. Install Windows 11 Via ISO File
- Once the ISO file is downloaded, press the “Windows” key with the key “E” to open “File Explorer.”
- Navigate to the ISO file, right-click on it, and choose the option “Mount” once the drop-down menu appears.
- Your computer will now have a virtual disk. To begin the installation procedure, open it and locate & open the “setup.exe” file by double clicking on it.
Note: It’s important to note that these actions could impact Windows 11’s functionality and stability. Exercise caution and, if possible, test it out on a different device from your primary PC.
Wrapping It Up
This is how one can successfully install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware. Even if there are other possible methods to install Windows 11, this is probably the simplest. If you find it useful, share it with your friends and family, and tell us if you know any other method simpler than this. Also, give this method a try and let us know your experience in the comments below. Follow us on social media – Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.