Unknown files, be it on Windows or Mac, goes undetected unless they negatively impact computer performance. The most common tell-tale sign is High CPU Usage.
In this article, we will discuss the CompatTelRunner.exe file. A file that causes performance lags slows down system boot and is the reason for over-usage of the CPU process.
Well, if you have seen this file affecting your system, you are in the right place.
Facing Slow Boot or Shortage of Space Issues on Windows?
We recommend using Advanced System Optimizer, an all in one tool that helps fix all PC related problems. This one-click optimization tool helps repair common computer errors, protects your system from malware and spyware attacks. Furthermore, it helps recover accidentally deleted files, cleans junk files, temporary files, cache, cookies, a threat to data privacy, etc.
To use this fantastic tool and fix all Windows related problems, including CompatTelRunner High CPU Usage, follow these three simple steps:
1. Download Advanced System Optimizer
2. Install and run the product
3. Click Start Smart PC Care & find Windows issues causing problems
4. Next, click Optimize to fix detected errors.
Now, let’s discuss CompatTelRunner.exe.
What is CompatTelRunner.exe?
In simple words, CompatTelRunner.exe is a Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry file located in C: WindowsSystem32 folder.
It is used to save Telemetry data collected for the smooth functioning of Windows. Moreover, CompatTelRunner.exe is also used to upgrade the system to the latest OS version and update it. This file is not visible to the users, and it poses a 0% security risk.
|Description||Part of Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry|
|Target systems||Windows 7 (with latest updates), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10|
Whatever the case be, CompatTelRunner.exe in Windows 10 is known for creating issues like High CPU Usage.
Due to which the PC becomes unstable, and the only way to resolve the problem is to uninstall the CompatTelRunner.exe file.
Now that we know what this file is let’s learn how to disable CompatTelRunner.exe.
Steps To Disable CompatTelRunner.exe
Method 1 – Using Task Scheduler
1. In the Windows search bar, type Task Scheduler.
2. Double click to open it.
3. Now, click the Task Scheduler library > Microsoft > Application Experience.
4. In the right pane, you will see specific tasks. Disable all of them by selecting each task > right-click > Disable.
5. After this, now, under the Windows folder, locate the Customer Experience Improvement Program folder.
6. Here, in the right pane, you will see certain services running. Right-click each and select Disable.
7. Exit Task Scheduler.
Method 2 – Edit Windows Registry
1. Type Registry Editor in Windows search bar and press Enter
2. You will now see the search result select Registry Editor and from the right pane, click Run as administrator
3. This will open the Windows Registry Editor.
4. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\TelemetryController
5. Right-click TelemetryController and select Rename
6. Alter the name to TelemetryControllerX and press Enter
7. Reboot your Windows system.
Now check if the CompatTelRunner.exe problem is resolved or not.
If not, move to the next step.
Method 3 – Run Group Policy Editor
1. Press Windows + R
2. Now type gpedit.msc and press Enter key
3. Head to the path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds > Allow Telemetry
4. Double click Allow Telemetry
5. In the new window that opens, click Disable> Apply > OK.
Now check if CompatTelRunner.exe is still running in Task Manager. If you see it, move to the next step.
Method 4 – Run SFC
1. Type Command Prompt in Windows search bar
2. You will not see it under the search results. Click Run as administrator from the right pane.
3. Here enter SFC /scannow and press the Enter key.
4. Wait for the scan to finish. This might take a while and do not close the system.
Note: We are running this command as it helps fix system file issues.
Method 5 – Clean boot PC
1. Type msconfig in the Window search bar and press Enter.
2. Click Services tab > Hide all Microsoft services > check the remaining ones > Disable all.
3. Next, click the Startup tab > Open Task Manager.
4. Select each startup item > click Disable > close Task Manager.
5. Reboot the PC.
This command will boot your computer with a minimum set of drivers and programs to avoid compatibility issues.
Note: Each time Windows installs new updates, you will have to do this manually.
Method 6 – Optimize Telemetry Collection
To learn how people use Windows 10, Microsoft uses telemetry data. The more you use OS more telemetry data is collected. Due to this, high resource consumption is noticed. To fix it, we should try optimizing telemetry data collection. For this, follow the steps below:
1. Exit all third party running software.
2. Type Diagnostics and feedback in the Windows search bar.
3. Here look for Improve inking and type and turn it off.
4. Next, disable Tailored experiences.
This should optimize telemetry data collection and will speed up system performance.
Method 7 – Disable Telemetry
1. Press Windows + R
2. Type services.msc > OK
3. Look for Connected User Experience and Telemetry > right-click Properties
4. Change the Startup Type to Disabled.
5. Next, under Service status, click Stop.
6. Apply > OK.
7. Reboot Windows
This is all. But if this sounds too much work, then we have an easy solution. Download and install Advanced System Optimizer. This system cleaner and optimizer performs all these tasks in one click. This means without spending too much time or anyone’s help; you can fix all Windows issues. So, what are you waiting for? Give it a try
Hope you used the above steps to resolve the compattelrunner.exe problems. Do let us know which steps worked for you in the comments section.
Is CompatTelRunner.exe safe?
The Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry process is considered 100% safe. Yet it sometimes behaves like malware.
Can I disable CompatTelRunner.exe?
Yes, the CompatTelRunner.exe file can be disabled via Task Scheduler.
Should I disable Telemetry in Windows 10?
If you face high CPU Usage due to the CompatTelRunner.exe file, disabling Telemetry is a wise choice.
MridulaCan disabling the process affect my computer in any way ??
hamid“Can disabling the process affect my computer in any way ??” not at all. i went through the whole article, and it was perfect. methods 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7 are spot on. use methods 4 & 5 are useful for spotting other processes that are running in addition to CompatTelRunner.exe this article is definitely worth a bookmark