Browser errors like ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH are one of the most common issues many Internet users face these days. Most users get super-annoyed when they see this unexplained error message on their web browser, but it is relatively easy to resolve. All you have to do is follow the correct troubleshooting steps!
This error mainly happens when your web browser detects an issue with the SSL certificate version of the website. In this post, we’ll go through a couple of workarounds for fixing the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH problem, which can be quickly followed by novice users as well.
You might want to read:
- How to Fix “Error Code: SSL_error_handshake_failure_alert” in Browsers?
- How to Fix ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR in Google Chrome
What does the ERR_SSL_VERSION Error Mean?
This error message indicates that the server and client (i.e., the visitor’s browser) is unable to create a secure, encrypted connection owing to an unsupported protocol. So, if the browser encounters a misconfiguration or an invalid URL, it may display the error “ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH,” eventually preventing you from accessing the site.
Besides the SSL Certificate getting misconfigured, there are plenty of reasons why you may encounter the annoying error message “err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch on Chrome, Edge, or other browsers.
Leading causes of SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error?
The ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error message is your browser’s way of preventing you from visiting malicious websites. There are various reasons why a web server and a web browser fail to implement a common SSL protocol, resulting in the error message. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH:
1. Invalid SSL certificates – The SSL certificate for the domain (the site you wish to visit) may be given to a different domain name alias, resulting in a certificate mismatch error.
2. Outdated TLS versions – The web server might be using an old TLS version that your latest web browser version doesn’t support.
3. Due to a QUIC protocol – Though it is a Google initiative that serves as an alternative to typical security methods, it may cause a mistake & you can establish a secure connection.
4. A misconfiguration in the antivirus application may cause a false alarm, resulting in the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH.
5. Cached data in a web browser may not reflect a website’s security upgrade.
You might want to read:
- How To Fix Google Chrome Installation Failed on Windows 11
- Ways To Deactivate or Fake Location on Chrome, Firefox & Edge
How To Fix ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Error
Follow the troubleshooting methods one by one to eliminate “err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch on Chrome, Edge, and other web browsers.
Method 1: Clear out the SSL Cache
Clearing out your web browser’s cache can fix the issue if things get out of sync. It just takes a few steps to do this:
STEP 1 – To open Internet Properties, hit the shortcut keys – Windows + R altogether, and as soon as the Run dialog box appears on the screen, type “inetcpl.cpl” and press Enter button.
STEP 2 – Navigate to the Content tab and hit the Clear SSL state button.
STEP 3 – Now, click the Apply button and hit the OK option.
STEP 4 – Reboot your computer to save your changes!
Hopefully, clearing the SSL cache helps you fix the error message “ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH.” If the issue persists, try another workaround!
Method 2: Run SSL Server Test
If you get this problem, performing an SSL check on the respective site’s certificate is the best way to troubleshoot the error. We recommend using Qualys SSL Labs’ free SSL check tool. It is pretty reliable and easy to use. All you need to do is enter your domain into the Hostname form and press the “Submit” button.
You may also conceal public results to see what people say about the website. Scanning your site’s SSL/TLS settings on your web server may take a minute or two. So, keep patience!
Your SSL certificate verifies that your website is exactly what it says. It is crucial that the name on the certificate and the name of your domain match. Furthermore, a reputable CA (Certificate Authority) must provide the SSL certificate.
If these simple conditions aren’t met, you may encounter the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH error message on Chrome or other browsers. Using Qualys SSL Checker tool is the best choice to verify whether there is a discrepancy in the certificate name. If the solution is not able to recover a certificate for the site, then the notification will appear, and you will understand why you were facing this error.
A mismatch might occur as a result of any of the following events, according to the Qualys report:
- The site shares an IP address with another SSL-enabled site.
- The website is no longer active.
- The domain links to an outdated IP address that hosts another website.
- The website uses a content delivery network (CDN) that does not support SSL.
- The certificate did not include the domain name alias.
- You may also inspect the certificate information to determine whether it matches the current site.
Method 3: Clean/Optimize your PC and Update your Operating System
This error message ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH in chrome/edge can occur when files on your computer haven’t been updated to their latest versions or your PC is packed with unnecessary browser junk, caches, cookies, and other redundant data.
The most recent SSL certificates are incompatible with older operating systems (OS). Browsers will also stop supporting newer technologies on older operating systems. For example, Chrome discontinued its support for Windows XP in 2015.
We highly recommend our users to take the help of a reliable PC Cleaning & Optimization software Advanced System Optimizer to solve this issue. It comes with a highly effective Smart PC Care Solution that runs a comprehensive scan to identify and eliminate common PC issues related to disk, drives, and registry. It has dozens of cleaning, optimization, and security modules to keep your computer optimized.
- Performs hard drive defragmentation for improved performance.
- Remove unnecessary junk files & other residues to free up RAM.
- Identify and update outdated drivers.
- Corrects erroneous registry entries.
- Extracts and removes hidden privacy-invading traces.
- Uninstall unwanted/old applications.
- Finds & removes unnecessary accumulated duplicate files.
To use Advanced System Optimizer, follow the steps mentioned below:
Step 1 – Install the software from the official website, or you can click the Download button provided below.
Step 2 – You can efficiently complete the setup process by following the on-screen instructions. After that, launch the software and run a thorough scan on your computer using the Smart PC Care module.
Once your PC is thoroughly cleaned, it’s time to clear the browsing traces. For this, you can navigate to the Privacy Protector module, where you can run a quick scan, find and eliminate the browsing history, caches, cookies, and other hidden traces that make computers prone to common attacks and infection, including ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH.
Now, reboot your PC, and your issue should be fixed by now. Additionally, do not forget to update your outdated Operating System and installed applications regularly. If you are unaware of the process, you can follow the guide mentioned below:
FAQs | More About “err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch” error
1. What is this error ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH?
The primary reason for this problem is that your computer is unable to establish a secure connection with the website. This issue is caused by the website’s use of an SSL certificate. An SSL certificate is used on websites that handle sensitive information such as credit card numbers or passwords.
2. How do you fix ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH?
The main approaches to fix this error are:
- Examine the SSL/TLS Certificate & take necessary actions.
- Turn off the QUIC Protocol.
- Delete Your Web History/Cache.
- Turn off your antivirus and firewall.
3. How do I fix unsupported protocol?
You can quickly fix the unsupported protocol, just follow the steps mentioned below:
- Check Your System’s Date.
- Chrome’s QUIC Protocol should be disabled.
- Delete Browsing Data.
- Clear the SSL state.
- Examine Your Antivirus Settings.
- Extensions should be disabled.
- Examine Your Firewall.
- Change Your Internet Security and Privacy Settings.
4. How do I clear the SSL state in Chrome?
- Launch the Start menu. Then, look for and launch Internet Options.
- Select the Content tab from the dialogue box that displays.
- Clear SSL State should be selected.
When the web browser and the web server do not support the same SSL protocol version, the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH chrome/edge occurs. Some possible causes include an outdated TLS version, a mismatched certificate name, or a misconfiguration of the website’s SSL settings. You should now know what to do if you need to fix this problem.
Out of all the suggested solutions, we believe that cleaning the computer and optimizing it is the best approach. Follow method four and use the Advanced System Optimizer to enjoy a stable performance. Additionally, it will allow you to remove all the junk files and other redundant data from your entire PC. Follow us on social media – Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
- How To Fix Your Connection was Interrupted Error on Google Chrome
- Stuck With Google Chrome White Screen Error? Here’s How To Fix It (2022)
- How To Solve ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED Chrome Error
- How to Fix Chrome OS is Missing or Damaged Error
- How To Fix ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED Error In Chrome On Windows 10
- This Site Can’t Be Reached Error In Chrome