To see what’s eating system resources and slowing down the PC, Windows users constantly access Task Manager. With that said, it seems you happen to notice Windows 10 Bonjour process running in Task Manager and are here to know about it, right?
Worry not; this article will answer all your questions related to mDNSResponder.exe/Bonjour service running in Task Manager.
Attention: This article is part of our ongoing series explaining why you see 100% CPU usage due to different processes like
Want to get an idea about all this? Start reading.
So, let’s begin. First thing first.
What is mDNSResponder.exe?
mDNSResponder.exe, also known as Bonjour process, is Apple’s native zero-configuration network application for Mac. It gets installed automatically by iTunes and is not a virus. Does this make you feel any better? Do you want to know more about it?
Well, Windows 10 Bonjour service enables automatic network discovery, thereby allowing different computers running iTunes to interact with each other. The only problem with mDNSResponder.exe is that it runs 24/7 and uses system resources. This means that even when you are not using iTunes, it will consume system resources. Therefore, if you want to disable it, read further to know how to do that.
How does mDNSResponder.exe get installed?
As already discussed, Bonjour is an Apple-related process and gets installed with iTunes. Users don’t get an option to opt-out of this service. However, if you don’t use iTunes for sharing libraries, you can remove it.
Note: If you use iTunes, then removing mDNSResponder.exe/bonjour is not recommended. However, if you don’t use it anymore and are bothered because it runs unnecessarily, then here you go.
How to Remove Bonjour Service from Windows 10?
Note: If you think you will use iTunes in the future, instead of removing it, follow the steps explained to disable it.
How to uninstall Bonjour/ mDNSResponder.exe from Windows 10?
The easiest and simplest way to get rid of Bonjour service is to use Advanced System Optimizer. Using it, you will not only be able to remove mDNSResponder.exe but will also be able to get rid of invalid registry entries. This system optimization tool offers Uninstall Manager, Registry Cleaner, Driver Updater, Malware Cleaner, and more.
To use it and remove Bonjour from Windows, follow the steps below:
1. Download, install, and run Advanced System Optimizer.
2. Click Regular Maintenance > Uninstall Manager
3. Run the scan to see a list of all installed applications
4. Select Bonjour from the list and click Uninstall
5. After performing this step, we suggest running the Registry Cleaner module under Registry Optimizers
6. This will help clean all invalid registry entries that might also be causing problems.
7. This is the safest and easiest way to get rid of Bonjour services on Windows. So, what are you waiting for? Try this 24-hour fully functional trial version today.
8. However, if you are still thinking and meanwhile would like to disable Bonjour services manually, follow the steps below:
Workable Fixes to Remove Bonjour print and other related services
1. Disabling it via Windows Services
To disable Bonjour services, follow the steps below:
1. In Windows search bar type Services
2. Select the search result to open the Windows Services window
3. Navigate to Bonjour Service
4. Right-Click > Properties
5. Here click, the downward arrow next to Startup type and select Disabled
6. Click Apply > Ok
7. This will disable Bonjour print services and other related Bonjour services on Windows 10
8. Restart the system to apply changes.
9. Now head to Task Manager and check for mDNSResponder.exe/ Bonjour service. You will not find it running.
However, if you want to remove it, proceed ahead.
How To Remove Bonjour Service From Windows 10
1. Type Command Prompt in the Windows search bar
2. Right-click the search result and select Run as administrator
3. Here type cd..until you reach C:\
4. Now type cd program files > Enter
Note: If you are running 64-bit of windows, then type cd program files (x86) > Enter
5. Next type cd Bonjour > Enter
6. Afterward, enter mDNSResponder.exe /?
7. This will help you know the command and file you should remove.
8. So, the file we have to delete is mDNSResponder, and the command is mDNSResponder.exe –remove
9. Once you enter this command, you will get the message about successful file removal.
10. Lastly, you will need to change the .dll file. This is done so that the service doesn’t restart on its own. To do so, in Command Prompt window type: ren mdnsNSP.dll mdnsNSP.renamed
Done. This way, you have easily removed the Bonjour service and can stop mDNSResponder.exe from running.
After performing these steps, if you regret them, the only way to get the service back is to head to the Apple page and install Bonjour.
Hope this helps you remove mDNSResponder.exe from Windows 10 system. If you liked the article, please share your feedback in the comments section.
What is Bonjour services, and do I need it?
Bonjour is a service developed by Apple that helps iTunes interact with other services. It comes built-in with Apple’s OSX and iOS operating system.
Is it safe to uninstall Bonjour?
Yes, if you no longer use iTunes, then you can safely uninstall it.
Is Bonjour service a virus?
No, it is a legit file developed by Apple and is not a virus. If you have ever used iTunes, you will find this service running on your system even when iTunes is not in use.
What programs use Bonjour?
Bonjour is used by iTunes, iPhoto, iChat, Skype Gizmo5, and several other programs.
Can I stop Bonjour service?
Yes, you can disable Bonjour service from the Windows Services window. To do so, press Windows + R. Type services.msc > ok. Look for Bonjour service > right-click > Properties > Disable under Startup > Apply > Ok.
Do you need Bonjour for Windows?
Bonjour is not an essential Windows service. If you are not using any Apple device, you can easily remove it or disable it from running.
Mansi VijayI tried using Command Prompt to get rid of the issue and it really worked! Thank you so much for the solutions!
Mridula NimawatIf you have an Apple device and connect it your Windows PC to access iTunes, no need to worry. This step will help you out with removing the process.