The Click to Run feature is introduced to update Microsoft’s Office suite 2010 or later products. Yet, many users have reported high disk usage issues due to officeclicktorunexe. The problem can be fixed by disabling Office Click to Run feature and cleaning junk from the PC. In this article, we will explain different ways to fix high disk usage caused due to Office Click-toRunexe. Also, we will discuss the trusted and reliable Advanced System Optimizer – the best PC Optimization tool. To know in detail about the product, read the review.
What is Microsoft Click to Run Feature?
Microsoft Click to Run service is a way to install and launch Office products quickly in the background. The service helps reduce the time required to install the product. Furthermore, even before the Office programs are installed, you can access existing documents without waiting for the installation to finish.
If you want to use a feature that is not yet downloaded or installed, the Click to Run will help you use it by finishing the process. This is why when officeclicktorun.exe causes High Disk Usage; things get complicated. But don’t worry, we have a solution to this problem.
Note: You must access the administrator account to follow the fixes below. If the account you are using lacks admin rights, ensure to make changes and get administrative privileges.
How to Fix officeclicktorun.exe High Disk Usage?
Method 1 – Repair Office Click-to-Run Service
When the Office Click-to-Run gets corrupt, you face a high disk usage issue. To fix the problem, try repairing Click-to-Run itself.
- In the Windows search bar, type Control Panel > select the best result and open it.
- Go to Programs and Features. If you cannot see it change the view mode to Large icons.
- Select the Office suite you are using and click Remove/Change button.
- Select the settings you want to keep > click Repair.
- This should help fix the issue.
Method 2 – Download Version of Office Without Click-to-Run
To altogether ditch the Click-to-Run service in Office, uninstall the current version of Office Suits and download the version without the features. To do so, follow these steps:
- Visit the website from which you purchased Microsoft Office. Click here to visit the official website and find your downloads.
- Go to your account to find the version of the Office suite you’ve purchased.
- Click Advanced download settings > select the version that doesn’t require the Q: drive. This is the office version without Click-to-Run.
- Download and install Office again and check if this helps.
Method 3- Disable Click-to-Run service & Clear Cache Files
Disable the Windows service manager feature to use the installed version of Microsoft Office without Click-to-Run. To do so, follow the instructions given below:
- Press Windows Key + R key and open the Run window.
- Type services.msc > hit Enter key.
- Locate Microsoft Office ClickToRun Service > right-click > select Properties option.
- Click the General tab > under Startup type > select Disabled. This will stop the Click-to-Run service from running at the restart.
- Go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Spw and C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\OfficeFileCache one by one and clear all the files.
- Enable Click-to-Run service and set it to Automatic
- Reboot the PC and check if you are still facing issues or not.
Method 4 – Uninstall Office Click-to-Run
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows + R keys altogether.
- Type control > change the view to Large icons.
- Click Program and Features > Microsoft Office Click-to-Run > Remove/Change > Uninstall.
- Wait for the process to finish. Restart the PC and see if the high disk usage issue is fixed or not
Method 5 – Disable the Office Click-to-Run process
If nothing has helped so far, try disabling the service from the Task Manager. Follow the steps below to learn how to do it:
- Press Windows + Shift + Delete and open Task Manager.
- Right-click the officeclicktorun.exe > select Disable.
- Exit Task Manager and restart the PC. You should be able to fix the high disk usage caused due to officeclicktorun.
We hope you found the guide helpful in removing the Microsoft Click-to-Run issue. If you’ve tried another solution that has helped, share the same in the comments section. In addition, we suggest using the best PC Optimization tool – Advanced System Optimizer- to keep the PC optimized and junk-free. With the help of this tool, in no time, you can clean the clutter and clean your PC. Also, you can get rid of duplicate files, update drivers, scan your PC for malware threats, and do much more. The system tweaking tool is a comprehensive PC cleanup tool that helps enhance system performance and keep common Windows issues at bay. To use the tool, click the button below to get it.
Q1. What is OfficeClickToRun exe?
The service is related to Microsoft Office products and helps manage background updates.
Q2. Can I disable OfficeClickToRun.exe?
Yes. To disable the serivce press Windows + R > type services.msc > press Enter key. Find Microsoft Office Click-to-Run > right-click > Properties > General tab > Startup type > Disable > Ok > Reboot the PC
Q3. Is Microsoft Office Click-to-Run necessary?
Yes, it is an important component of the Office Suite; disabling or uninstalling it is not advised.
Q4. What does the program do Microsoft Office Click-to-Run SXS OfficeClickToRun.exe?
The Microsoft Office Click-to-Run SXS means you might be running Office 365 simultaneously with other versions or editions of Office. While OfficeClickToRun. Exe is a resource coordinating and background process that helps manage Microsoft Office products-related updates.