Are you encountering Double NAT Detected, error while using Xbox One, doubting what went wrong? Worry, not!
In this write-up, we help resolve double NAT detected errors that you face while playing Xbox One games.
Note: To apply these fixes, you need to have some technical knowledge and patience
List of Contents
Read More: 10 Best Xbox Emulators for PC in 2021
What is Double Network Address Translation?
Network Address Translation (NAT) when online enables devices to share one public IP address. For games like Call of Duty, Minecraft, and Overwatch, NAT plays a vital role in connectivity. However, sometimes it creates problems too.
In simple words, when the game console instead of connecting to the first router is connected to the X second router, you face a Double NAT error. For some, this might be good from a security point of view but for gamers, this isn’t great.
Hence, in this post, we will learn how to resolve Double NAT detected errors.
Sometimes a slow PC also ruins the gaming experience and prevents you from playing your favorite games.
If you too are facing this problem and alongside fixing NAT problems looking for ways to boost performance, we suggest using Advanced System Optimizer.
This all-in-one system optimization tool is great at cleaning clutter, unwanted files, and boosting system performance. Not only this, using Advanced System Optimizer, Game Optimizer you can also boost game performance.
To use this amazing tool, follow the steps below:
1. Download, install and run Advanced System Optimizer
2. Launch the best optimizer and cleanup tool
3. Click Start Smart PC Care
4. Wait for the scan to finish and fix errors.
5. Once, this is done, click Windows Optimizers > Game Optimizer and optimize game performance.
Reasons for Double NAT Xbox Errors
Clashing of multiple routers or gateways.
Ways to fix double NAT on Xbox one
1. Set the gateway to Bridge mode
If you don’t want to rewire the whole network, setting the gateway to Bridge mode is best. Also, once enabled it will disable NAT and other routing functions. To learn how to activate Bridge mode, follow the steps below:
1. Open your browser and type the default gateway address. (If you have no clue about it, you can search online for the model you are using.)
2. Log into your router/modem > configuration menu > navigate to Bridge Mode (this action varies from model to model)
3. Enable Bridge Mode > save changes
4. Reboot both gateway & Xbox One
If everything is done as instructed, the double NAT error should be resolved. If not, you can try other methods explained below.
Note: If you face problems while looking for Bridge Mode, you can contact your ISP. They will help you with it.
2. Delete your ISP router
If enabling Bridge Mode did not help, try removing the router’s ISP from the network, or the one with weaker performance. For this, follow the steps below:
- Disconnect from the router’s WAN port, and connect with your router.
- Next, plug-in Xbox One with the newly configured router
Once done the Double Nat error should be resolved.
Note: Sometimes ISP providers do not let you do this easily. This means you might have to repeat step 1 several times.
3. Fixing Double NAT if Bridge Mode is not found
If your gateway doesn’t support Bridge Mode, there’s nothing to worry about. You can still fix the Double NAT error on your router, using the steps explained below:
- Open your browser and enter the address of the router (We are talking about router address, not gateway)
- Login to router
- Head to wireless options (this option differs from device to device.)
- Edit Router to AP (Access Point) / Enable Access Point (AP) mode.
- Save changes and reboot both router and Xbox One
What is Access Point?
Basically, used to enhance the range of wireless network Access Point (AP) acts as a portal for devices to connect to a LAN.
Note: Features like QoS, Parental Controls, and NAT might not be available after performing this operation.
If you receive Double NAT detected an error while playing games on Xbox One, don’t worry, you can fix it. Using the steps explained above this problem can be easily fixed. Also, remember the main reason for this error message is the use of multiple routers on a network. In addition to this, removing the router removes the less powerful one as this will help overcome the error message.
Hopefully, the above fixes help troubleshoot the Double NAT problem on Xbox One. In case you have tried other fixes and they have helped please share the same in the comments section.
FAQ – Double NAT detected an error
Q1. What is the problem with double NAT?
Basically, Double NAT is not a problem, it is a feature that enhances privacy and security. But sometimes, it prevents you from playing online games. Hence, if you face a Double NAT problem when playing Xbox One games, disabling it is the best idea.
Q2. How do I change my NAT type from Double NAT to open?
To change NAT type from Double NAT to open via a router, follow the steps below:
- Open the browser and enter the router address
- Log in using the credentials
- Next, navigate to the wireless options > enable Access Point (AP) Mode > save changes
Q3. Is double NAT bad for Xbox one?
Double Network Address Translation is not bad for Xbox One, but it does give issues when you play online games or use Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and port forwarding.
Q4. How do I fix a double NAT problem?
To fix the Double Nat problem via gateway follow the steps below:
- Head to router login page
- Log in using the details
- Select wireless option > enable Bridge Mode > save changes
Q5. Is double NAT bad for gaming?
Double NAT does not stop devices from accessing the internet but might create problems when you play online games. Hence, if you encounter a Double NAT error make sure to switch to one router.