For gamers Discord, a popular chatting app is a lifesaver. This app solves two major problem gamers face:
- How to interact with other players
- How to organize people to play games in a sync
But when this magical and free voice and text tool for gamers lags or Discord servers lag, or Discord doesn’t update then?
Simple either you need to fix it or live with the problems. No one wants the latter so, here we are with a solution for Discord lagging issues on Windows 10.
Once you read the complete article, you will know how to fix Discord not updating, Discord servers lagging problems. You can also check best voice changer apps for Discord.
8 Simple and Easy Fixes to Resolve Lagging Issues With Discord on Windows 10
Some users might be able to fix the problem by trying a solution or two, while others might have to try more. So, don’t worry, just work your way down until you find the resolution for your problem.
- Close Redundant Programs
- Update Drivers
- Disable/Enable Hardware Acceleration
- Change Power Settings
- Clear Discord Cache Files
- Reset Discord Voice Settings
- Update Discord
- Reinstall Discord
Close Redundant Programs
Software conflict is one of the significant reasons for Discord lagging issues. Therefore, to resolve the problem, we will need to close unnecessary programs. To learn how to do it, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + X keys
2. From the menu select Task Manager
3. Here, under the Processes tab check CPU and Memory usage. This will help identify the processes consuming most system resources.
4. Right-click the program, which is consuming resources and select End tasks from the context menu.
Note: We do not recommend ending a program that you are not familiar with, as it might be required for your system functioning.
Once done, restart Discord and see if it works fine without giving you lag issues. If not, read on and try other solutions.
Generally, when you are using faulty, corrupt, or incompatible graphics or audio driver issues with video and audio occur. Therefore, installing the latest and compatible driver is recommended.
You can do it manually via Device Manager or visiting the site with a genuine update is available. But remember this is a lengthy and complicated process. Therefore, here we have something easy and handy. In just a few clicks with Smart Driver Care, you can do it.
Smart Driver Care, as the name implies, is a tool that smartly scans your system for outdated drivers and updates them. Moreover, before updating the drivers, it takes a complete backup of the old driver and even helps update outdated programs. To use this tool, you don’t need to know your system details. Simply download and install Smart Driver Care and run the scan by clicking on Scan Now button.
You can update drivers using both Free and Paid versions. The only difference is first in the free version, and you will have to update each driver individually while using the registered version, you can update all in one click. Secondly, the free version doesn’t allow taking a backup whereas in the trial version this feature is available.
Most important of all the product comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee. This means you can try the full version for 2 months. Compatible with Windows 10 and older Windows versions this is the best driver updater tool.
To know more about Smart Driver Care, click here.
How to use Smart Driver Care
Download and install Smart Driver Care
Click Scan Now to run this best driver updater tool and scan the system for outdated and corrupt drivers.
Wait for the scan to complete.
If you are using the trial version, you will have to click Update Driver next to the driver you wish to update. However, if you are using the registered version, you can click Update All to update all outdated drivers on your Windows 10 operating system.
Disable/Enable Hardware Acceleration
When you run an application, the average CPU resources are used. However, for heavy tasks like screen sharing, running Discord, streaming games, other hardware components are also used.
If the hardware you are using is good, you can try enabling Hardware Acceleration. This will help fix Discord lag or update issues. But if you are not sure about the hardware or it is feeble don’t try the following steps as it might create more problems.
To enable/disable hardware acceleration follow the steps below:
- Run Discord > click the gear icon to open Settings.
- Click Appearance.
- Here, if Hardware Acceleration is enabled, disable it and vice versa.
- Click Okay
- Relaunch Discord and see if the issue is fixed or not.
If not, there’s nothing to worry we are left with a few other ways to try and fix Discord lagging or Discord updating issues.
Change Power Settings
To save energy, the power plan on all Windows operating systems is balanced. Sometimes Discord starts to lag due to these settings. To see if this is creating a problem and fix it follow the steps below.
1. Type Control Panel in the Windows search box.
2. Make sure the View is selected as a Large icon. Now look for Power Options.
3. Double click Power Options.
4. Click Create a Power Plan option from the left pane.
5. Next, select High performance.
6. Define display turn off time and computer to sleep time and click Create.
7. Now restart your computer to apply changes and use Discord.
This should fix the problem, and Discord will now run without any lag or update issues.
Clear Discord Cache Files
We all cache files and cookies slow down the system performance. Therefore, to see if there are creating a problem clear Discord cache. To learn how to do it, follow the steps below:
- Close Discord. To make sure it is not running head to Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Here look for Discord if it is running right click > End task.
- Now press Windows + R keys
- In Run window, type
%APPDATA%/Discord/Cacheand press Enter key
- Select all the files in this folder by pressing Ctrl+A and hit the Delete key. This will clear the cache files.
Now restart Discord and see if the problem is fixed.
Reset Discord Voice Settings
You might be thinking, how making changes to voice settings can help, but it does work. Inappropriate voice settings also create Discord lagging problems. Therefore, to fix the problem, try resetting the settings to default. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Launch Discord and click on the gear icon.
- Click Voice & Video > Reset Voice Settings > Okay
- Share screen to see if the issue persists
This should fix the Discord lagging problem on Windows 10.
It is highly unlikely that due to an outdated version of Discord, you might be facing this issue. But there’s no harm in trying this fix and updating Discord. To update Discord and fix lagging issues, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + R keys
%localappdata% > Ok
- Double click the folder names Discord
- Again, double click Update.exe and wait for the update process to start and finish.
- Relaunch Discord. This should fix Discord lag or update issues.
However, if none of the steps has worked so far, then we are left with the last step, i.e. reinstalling Discord.
Steps to reinstall Discord
- In Windows search bar type Control Panel
- Here, under Programs option-click Uninstall a program
- Look for Discord and click Uninstall
- Once done reinstall Discord.
This is all from our side. We hope one of the fixes explained above helped fix Discord lagging issues on Windows 10. Please leave us a comment to let us know which solution worked for you. However, if you have any questions or suggestions, please do share that too in the comments box.