Microsoft has provided an inbuilt Antivirus to Windows users for free. This antivirus, Microsoft Windows Security app (previously known as Microsoft Defender) helps protect your computer from viruses and malware. However, if you want to add additional security to your PC and use a different antivirus then here are the best Windows Defender Alternatives to choose from.
Best Free and Paid Windows Defender Alternatives
Here is the list of the best free Windows Defender alternatives. However, unlike Defender, no antivirus app provides complete protection with maximum options for free. Only the basic version of the below-mentioned antivirus apps can be availed for free. To access the high-end modules you will have to purchase the app. Let us examine the Windows Defender Alternative for Free:
You can stay safe online with the tools in Avira Free Security. This free Windows Defender alternative guards against virus risks and stops malicious websites, browser trackers, and invasive adverts. With the help of the password manager plugin, you may create uncrackable passwords. And by using the Safe Shopping extension, you can shop safely, avoid fraudulent websites, and locate the best discounts.
- Identity protection with the Password Manager module.
- Accelerate PC boot time.
- Blocks all Malware including Ransomware & Spyware.
- The interface is intuitive.
- Includes convenient browser extensions.
- It has an integrated free VPN feature.
- Does not offer Web Protection.
Price: Free Basic Version
AVG AntiVirus is crucial security software that gives you the freedom to use the internet without worry. This Windows Defender Alternative for free offers 24/7 scans, which means malware is caught before it has a chance to damage your computer. You won’t waste time navigating complicated menus because there is an intuitive user interface.
- Six-Layer Security Protection.
- Blocks Unsafe links with Phishing Protection.
- Protect against malicious email attachments.
- Tech Support over the phone & chat.
- Provided Firewall.
- Allows users to conduct Boot-Time scans.
- The scanning process takes considerably longer.
Price: Free Basic Version
The built-in security of your operating system may only sometimes be sufficient and that is where Avast comes in. You can perform automatic smart scans on programs, files, and apps to look for gaps where malware can slither in, send dubious files to the cloud for examination, receive threat warnings, and more by installing this free Windows Defender Alternative. Avoid having your device taken over and integrated into a botnet by blocking harmful websites and risky downloads.
- The paid version includes VPN.
- Wi-Fi Network Security.
- Ransomware Protection.
- Quick Installation.
- Includes Password Manager
- Most extra features come under paid version.
Price: Free Basic Version
Bitdefender is a Windows Defender alternative that anticipates, detects, and instantly blocks even the newest attacks before they can cause you any trouble using cutting-edge artificial intelligence and other ground-breaking technologies. While the optimization technologies help speed up your computer’s boot-up and overall performance, Bitdefender consumes the least amount of resources.
- Anti-Phishing Protection.
- Safe Online Banking.
- Provides VPN for anonymous browsing.
- Identifies keylogger malware.
- Includes Tools for optimizing your PC.
- The app uses AI to detect potential threats.
- Repeated prompts and requests to update your plans.
Price: Free Basic Plan
5. Kaspersky Cloud Security
Kaspersky protects your PC from viruses, infected files, hazardous applications, and suspicious websites by acting as a free antivirus scanner and cleanup. This Windows Defender Alternative for free comes equipped with top-notch security tools and automatically evaluates real-time data on emerging threats to help safeguard your PC from a variety of threats.
- Detect Stalkerware.
- Safe Web Browsing.
- Optimizes Performance.
- Protect PC from all threats including Ransomware.
- Support options include phone and chat.
- Supports multiple platforms with one account.
- The premium version with all features is expensive.
Price: Free Basic Version.
Also Read: How Antivirus Helps in Protecting Your PC
If you are looking for a Windows Defender alternative and are ready to pay for it, then here are the best options for you. Remember, free antivirus apps do work efficiently but there might be a few limitations that are overcome by using paid antivirus apps. Here are the best paid Windows Defender alternatives.
6. T9 Antivirus
T9 antivirus is the first on the list of paid Windows Defender alternatives. It is one of the few antivirus apps that offer real-time protection along with other security features. This antivirus is lightweight and does not consume much of your system’s resources. It gets regular updates on virus definitions and provides users with a detailed report on the infections found, removed, and quarantined.
- Includes Startup manager to decrease PC boot time.
- Junk Cleaner.
- Password Manager module included.
- Swift & Simple to Use.
- Includes an automatic scheduler.
- Many modules to keep your PC optimized.
- Inbuilt VPN modules need to be purchased separately.
7. Sophos Home
Sophos Home Premium offers outstanding coverage for up to 10 Windows and Mac PCs. Although experts may find the UI overly simple and be frustrated that there aren’t many settings or low-level changes available, it’s good that it was created with beginners in mind. Although the web management console may be useful for individuals who want to take charge of and administer the devices of their less tech-savvy family members, the UI is also somewhat clumsy in certain areas.
- Remote Management.
- Parental Website Filtering.
- Artificial Intelligence Threat Detection.
- Real-Time Threat Prevention.
- Excellent price for securing numerous PCs.
- Lack of advanced options.
- Somewhat clunky interface.
Price: $45/Year and upwards
McAfee is a Windows Defender alternative that has many features built-in. The Internet Account Cleanup locates personal information associated with inactive accounts so you can delete it and lessen your Internet exposure. The Internet security module includes assistance with online data cleanup and VPN for a private connection. Each family member can have their own personalized identity, privacy, and device protection, all under one plan.
- Anonymous web browsing.
- Real-Time Protection
- Network Security.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 24×7 customer support.
- Password Manager.
- McAfee uses a lot of system resources.
Price: $39.99/Year and upwards
Being a comprehensive defense against viruses and other dangers, Norton Antivirus is a well-known name in the cybersecurity sector. This Windows Defender alternative includes a Smart PC Firewall that guards against unauthorized access. Additionally, it provides a 60-day money-back guarantee and 24-hour technical assistance.
- Offer free Cloud Backup with any plan.
- Password manager included for all users.
- Compatible with multiple platforms.
- A free trial version is available.
- VPN included.
- Secures Public Networks and makes them safe for use.
- Parental Control is available only in top expensive versions.
For Windows devices, Panda Security provides the best cybersecurity solution and is the last one on the list of Windows Defender alternatives. You can use Panda Cleanup to identify the applications that are set to launch at the system start and disable them if you don’t need them. Any faulty or extra registry keys that could result in operating system faults will be removed by Panda Cleanup.
- Remove unwanted Registry entries.
- Defragment the hard disk.
- Deletes browser cookies.
- Intuitive User Interface.
- Tech-Support available
- Lightweight antivirus.
- The scan results are different from others on this list.
Price: Starts at $35.99/year and goes upwards.
Your Choice Of 10 Best Windows Defender Alternatives For Windows 11 In 2023
We hope that you have enough options to choose the best free Windows Defender alternative for your PC. But personally, if you ask us, we would suggest you stay with Windows Security as it is a pretty good option. Otherwise, if you are bound to change your antivirus then remember, the free ones do not give so many features, and the cheapest one out there with maximum features is T9 Antivirus.
Please let us know in the comments below if you have any questions or recommendations. We would be delighted to provide you with a resolution. We frequently publish advice, tricks, and solutions to common tech-related problems. You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Flipboard, and Pinterest.