The error code 0xc00d6d6f has been encountered by several users when they updated Windows 11 to the latest version. The error in question surfaces when a user tries opening media files using a media player on Windows. Even worse, some users have also reported that the error code 0xc00d6d6f was accompanied by several errors pertaining to the functionalities of Windows.
If you have encountered the error code 0xc00d6d6f while opening media files, here are some ways you can quickly resolve the issue.
How To Fix Error Code 0xc00d6d6f While Opening Media Files
1. Use Another Media Player
Error Code 0xc00d6d6f could surface when you are using a specific media player which could also be your Windows 11’s media player. In that case, you may want to give another third-party media player a go. If you still face the error code 0xc00d6d6f when opening media files regardless of the media player, head-on with the next steps.
2. Run Video Playback Troubleshooter
One of the first steps you should take if you encounter error Code 0xc00d6d6f when opening media files, is to run the Video Playback Troubleshooter on your Windows 11/10 PC. Here are the steps for the same –
1. Open Settings by pressing the Windows + I key combination.
2. From the left-hand side, select System, if not already selected.
3. From the right-hand side, click on Troubleshoot and then, further click on Other troubleshooters.
4. Under Other, click on Video Playback
5. Hit the Run button.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions and apply them.
Check if you have been able to fix the issue and if you are now able to open media files.
3. Update Sound and Video Drivers
A missing, corrupt or outdated driver can be the reason why you have encountered the error Code 0xc00d6d6f when opening media files. In such an event, you can either choose to manually update the drivers. Or, you can take a smarter and a faster route and involve a driver updater utility.
Smart Driver Care is one of the best driver updater tools for Windows 11. Here are some of its notable features –
- Easy-to-use and attractive interface.
- Update outdated and corrupt drivers.
- Backup drivers before updating them.
- Restore backed up drivers.
- Scheduled driver scans at your desired time.
- Exclude drivers that you don’t want to appear in the scanning.
How To Use Smart Driver care?
1. Download, run and install Smart Driver Care.
2. Click on the Scan Now button.
3. Wait till the tool looks for outdated and corrupt drivers.
4. From the list of drivers, select your video driver and then click on the Update Driver button.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Note: The free version limits you to update 2 drivers in a day. To update more drivers you can opt for the premium version which also ensures peak hardware performance as well as fewer app crashes.
4. A System Restore May Be Of Help
A System Restore will take your Windows operating system to a time when it was functioning just right and more importantly when you were able to open media files on any media player without having to run into error Code 0xc00d6d6f. If performing a System Restore sounds like a new concept to you, needn’t sweat, here is an in-depth guide that will take you through the whole process.
Talking of a System Restore, this is one move that can help you with many issues that we hope you don’t run into in the future. For instance, many users have reported that by performing a System restore they were able to reset Windows 11 PC.
5. Uninstall Windows Update
Windows updates are crucial as they bring along new features and they are also important from a security standpoint. That being said, updates can be counterproductive at times. So, if you have encountered error Code 0xc00d6d6f when opening media files after updating your Windows 11 to a new version, then consider uninstalling the update and then check if the issue has been resolved or not. Here are the steps for the same –
1. Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
2. In the dialog box, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter
3. From the left bar, click on View installed updates.
4. Locate the recent Windows update that starts with KB. You will be able to find this under the Microsoft Windows section.
5. Right-click on it and then further click on Uninstall.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Now check if the issue is resolved or not.
Playing media files across several file formats across all media players is a part of seamless experience that Windows provides. Hope with the help of this blog, you will be able to get back that experience and will be able to resolve the error code 0xc00d6d6f. For more such content, keep reading WeTheGeek.