The purpose of Windows Updates is to defend Windows users against viruses and malware. Sometimes, though, they do in fact lead to problems. One such problem is the Windows update 0x80071160 error.
To safeguard your PC from unwanted attacks, Windows Update includes crucial repairs and fixes. Technical flaws in the Windows operating system are typically exploitable to attack Windows systems. The user can download and install updates from Microsoft that address these issues. Windows Update error 0x80071160 is a common issue that users encounter when updating their Windows operating system.
Read Also: 5 Easy Fixes to Resolve Windows Update Error 0x80072efe
4 Ways To Fix Windows Update Error 0x80071160
Along with significant fixes and efficiency enhancements, the update addresses a serious security flaw in PowerShell. Microsoft recently released the ‘KB4480966’ update for Windows 10 update problems. The build number for this OS update is 17134.523.
In case the update fails to install due to a Windows update problem with error code 0x80071160. You must either manually download and apply the update or restart your computer’s Windows Update Components to resolve the issue.
Read Also: How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80240034
Method 1: Download and Install the Update Manually
- Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website and enter the KB number (KB4480966) into the search field and hit the enter button.
- Install the relevant file by clicking the Download option on the website.
Read Also: How To Resolve 0x800700a1 Windows Update Error
Method 2: Restart The Windows Update Service
- Click on the Search icon from the Taskbar and type Services and open it.
- Now scroll down from the list and look for the Windows Update option and right-click on it.
- Choose Start if the service is currently stopped.
- Then scroll up and right-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service and enable it too by clicking on
Read Also: How To Fix ‘We Need To Fix Your Account’ Error On Windows 11/10 PC
Method 3: Temporarily Disable Your Antivirus Program
Sometimes Antivirus programs or software react strongly to some files, which include Windows Update files. These often can result in Windows Update error 0x80071160 and other issues with Windows updates. To see if it can resolve the problem, you can remove third-party software like a system cleaner and antivirus.
You must temporarily stop antivirus software in order to protect your laptop/PC from security risks. Reactivate your antivirus as soon as the update installation problem has been resolved.
Method 4: Reset Windows Update Components
- Click on the Search icon from the Taskbar and type cmd and click on Run as administrator to open the Command Prompt.
- Now enter the following commands and hit the Enter key after each command:
net stop wuauserv
net stop bit
- The Windows Update & Background Intelligent Transfer Service will stop after the execution of these commands.
- Open File Explorer, then go to this location and delete each and every file in the folder.
- After removing the files execute the provided command and press the Enter key:
net stop wuauserv
net stop bit
- This will reset the Windows update components and see if the Windows 10 update problem 0x80071160 error still remains.
Read Also: FIX: Unable to Set a PIN on Windows 11 (Error Code 0xd000a002)
To Wrap This Up
So, this is how you can fix Windows update error 0x80071160 with ease. So, if you have any suggestions or queries regarding the same then do let us know in the comments below. Also, if you know any worth mentioning fixes then do tell us. And for more such troubleshooting guides and tips & tricks related to Windows, Android, iOS, and macOS, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.