If you own a Chromebook and want to stream music from Apple’s iTunes service, you will be happy to know that Google recently added support for Chromebooks running Chrome OS 69 or above. That said, this article explains how to install iTunes on Chromebook so that you can enjoy Apple Music once again.
How to Install iTunes on Chromebook
Strictly speaking, iTunes isn’t a Chromebook app. However, there are plenty of users who use it on their Chromebooks every day. Installing iTunes on Chromebook is straightforward if you follow the steps below. So let’s get started.
Step 1: Enable Linux Feature On Chromebook
You should first enable the Linux feature on your Chromebook to install iTunes on Chromebook. To do so, follow the steps:
1. Go to the “Settings” of your Chromebook. Locate and tap on the “Linux(Beta)” option.
2. Tap on the “Turn On” button right in front of the “Linux(Beta)” option.
3. Your Chromebook will begin installing Linux, and a terminal window will appear in front of you.
Once the Linux feature is enabled, proceed with other steps:
Note: A black window is displayed by the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of the software on Chromebooks, so keep that in mind. Therefore, you must download this exact 32-bit edition of iTunes from this page. Look for the 12.9.3 build from August 2019.
4. Run the code below to upgrade Linux to the most recent build after opening the Linux Terminal.
“sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y”
Step 2: Install Wine App
Now you will need to install the “Wine” app to enable the 32-bit app support. To do so, follow the steps:
1. Run the code listed below to install the 32-bit Wine app on your Chromebook:
“Sudo apt-get install wine”
2. After doing so, launch the Terminal and run the below command to switch Wine’s architecture into 32-bit.
“WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/username/ .wine32 winefg”
Note: Use the correct login name for your Chromebook instead of “username” in the above code. In the Linux Terminal, search for the part that comes before “@penguin” to identify the username.
Step 3: Install iTunes using Wine
1. A Wine window will appear before you click the “OK” button.
2. Execute the command listed below to install iTunes 32-bit on your Chromebook.
“WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/username/ .wine32 itunes.exe”
3. Don’t forget to change “username” with your actual username.
4. Another installation window will appear in front of you. After clicking “Next,” carry out the installation process.
5. Once the installation is complete, click “Finish,” and you have successfully installed iTunes on Chromebook.
Step 4: Create Shortcut For iTunes
You will need to create a shortcut for your newly installed iTunes on your Chromebook. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Open the “File Manager” and head towards the “Linux Files” and open it.
2. Select the three dots symbol in the top right corner and tap ” Show hidden files” from the drop-down menu.
3. Navigate to this exact path: “.local > share > application > wine > program files > iTunes”
4. Then open the “iTunes.Desktop” option “Open with Text” by right-clicking on it.
5. Search for the line that begins with “Exec=” and enter the following command right after “Exec=”
env WINEPREFIX= “/home/username/ .wine32” wine “/home/username/ .wine32/drive_c/Program Files/iTunes/iTunes.exe
6. Save the file by pressing Ctrl + S, then quit the program.
In these four steps, you can successfully install iTunes and create a shortcut for the app on Chromebook.
Final Word On How To Install iTunes On Chromebook
The entire procedure is tricky. Still, we have simplified it for you into manageable parts. Additionally, you can install various Windows Applications on your Chromebook using Wine. If you have any problems getting it to run, let us know in the comments below.