To guarantee the mouse works flawlessly on your computer, keeping the mouse driver up to date is important. Therefore, in this post, we will explain how to install and update mouse drivers to avoid facing any problems.
Often when the mouse stops working, we check the cable connection, switch ports, and in the case of a wireless mouse we change the batteries. But alongside doing all this have you ever considered updating the driver?
Outdated drivers are the most common reason for such issues, therefore when you face issues with the display, graphics, printer, or mouse try updating drivers.
Wondering, being a beginner how you can do that? No need to worry or think that much we’re here to help.
In this troubleshooting guide, we will explain how to update Microsoft mouse driver Windows 10.
So, without taking much of your time, let’s start with the steps.
2 Best Ways to Update Mouse Driver
Microsoft mouse drivers can be installed and updated on Windows 10 in 2 ways. Just pick the way you prefer and update the mouse driver on Windows 10.
List of Contents
Method 1 – Manually install mouse driver Windows 10
Note: Updating drivers manually requires patience, time, and to some extent technical skills. This means you need to visit the manufacturer’s website and collect information about the operating system, device model number, etc. Furthermore, downloading and installing incorrect drivers also involves risk. If this seems too much work or you are doubtful about doing it manually, can skip to Method 2.
However, if you would like to go with the manual steps here you go.
1. Press Windows + R to open Run window
2. Type devmgmt.msc > Ok to open Device Manager
3. Thereafter in the Device Manager window, look for Mice and other pointing devices.
4. Double-click to unhide mouse drivers. Right-click the mouse device you are using and select Update driver.
5. In the consecutive window, select Search automatically for drivers.
6. Wait for Windows to find the available driver update. If an update is available, follow on-screen instructions to update drivers. Reboot the system to apply changes. However, if you get the message, “The best drivers for your device are already installed,” you might have to follow the steps explained below.
Note: Many times Windows fails to provide the latest driver update. Hence, to ensure that is not the case visiting Microsoft Downloads for Accessories is suggested. Read further to learn how to do that.
7. Visit Microsoft Downloads for Accessories.
8. Search the model of your mouse.
9. Based on the version of Windows you are using, click the correct download link
Note: You might see a number of download options, usually the first result is for the latest driver download.
10. Double click the downloaded setup file (either .exe or .ini) and follow on-screen instructions.
11. Reboot the system to apply changes.
Using these steps, you can update the mouse driver on Windows 10 manually.
Method 2 – Automatically update Microsoft Mouse Driver Windows 10 (Recommended)
If you don’t want to perform the manual steps explained above, you can update the mouse driver automatically using Smart Driver Care.
Smart Driver Care as the name explains is an excellent program to find and update outdated drivers. Using this professional driver updater in no time, you can update the mouse driver on Windows 10. Also, to use this best driver updater, you don’t need to gather system or device information. This tool automatically knows about the system configuration and based on this information; it shows driver updates for outdated drivers. This means you don’t have to worry about making a mistake while downloading drivers as Smart Driver Care will take care of it.
Using either the Free or Paid version of the product, you can update drivers. The only difference is that the trial version allows updating drivers one by one while the registered version allows updating all outdated drivers at once. Also, it comes with a 60- day money-back guarantee and is backed by trained technical support.
To use Smart Driver Care, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install Smart Driver Care
2. Launch the best driver updater and click Scan Now
3. Wait for it to check the system for outdated drivers
4. Once you have the list of outdated drivers, click Update driver next to mouse driver and update it.
Note: If you have the paid version, you can update all outdated drivers at once by clicking the Update All button.
5. Restart the system to apply changes.
This should update the Microsoft mouse driver.
Update & Install Mouse Driver
That’s all for now, using either of the steps explained above you can update and install the Microsoft mouse driver on your system. We hope you found the information helpful and were able to update the mouse driver. If you like it share the post with others, in case you have any doubts do let us know in the comments section. Also, to get assistance regarding Smart Driver Care you can contact the support team at [email protected]