Unable to log in to Windows 10 or 7? Being stopped by the “User Profile Service failed the logon,” error message? Don’t Panic!
It seems the user profile is corrupt or has incorrect permissions. Here we will explain how to fix the problem or create a new one if need be.
A lot of annoying things like 100% CPU usage, 100% disk usage, disk almost full, and similar issues are encountered by Windows users. But the most frustrating of all is the corrupt user profile, The User Profile Service service failed the logon, error message. If you or anyone you know is dealing with this problem, here’s the fix.
Now that we know the possible reasons, let us learn how to Fix the User Profile Service Failed the logon Windows 10.
Best Ways To Fix User Profile Service Failed The Sign-In
Method 1 – Restart your PC
This might sound kiddish or apparent, but try restarting the machine, as it is your first line of defense. Thereafter, try to use the machine you should not face the problem. If this doesn’t work, move to the next step.
Method 2 – Boot into Safe Mode and Check Profile Service Status
When you encounter profsvc service failed the sign-in, try booting into safe mode and check the status of Profile Service. To do so and to fix the corrupted file, follow the steps below:
To learn how to boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 and 7 click here.
1. Reboot your Windows machine 2-3 times, this will bring up the Automatic Repair Window.
2. Click Troubleshoot > Advanced options. Click Startup Settings after getting into the Advanced options window.
3. Select Startup Settings > click Restart to proceed.
4. Press F4 to enable Safe Mode.
5. Thereafter, press Windows + R and type services.msc > Ok.
6. Choose User Profile Service from the right pane. Right-click > Properties.
7. Change the Startup type to Automatic and confirm the Service status, it should be running. If not click the Start button > Ok.
8. Exit Safe Mode, reboot the PC and check if The User Profile Service Failed The Sign In on Windows 10 & Windows 7 is resolved or not.
If not, nothing to worry about, let’s move to the next step.
Method 3 – Create New Profile
Sometimes due to corrupt or misconfigured Windows registry, you can face User Profile service failed the logon Windows 10 & 7. Hence to check and fix the problem in this step we will make certain configuration settings in Windows Registry.
Before making any changes to the Windows registry, we recommend taking a complete backup of the Windows Registry. For this, you can try using Advanced PC Cleanup – the best cleaner and optimizer that helps take a complete registry backup.
To use it follow the steps below:
1. Launch Advanced PC Cleanup
2. Click the three horizontal lines present in the top left corner > Settings
3. Select Backup & Restore from the left pane > click Take a Full Backup
4. Wait for the action to complete.
After backing up the registry, you can try following the steps explained below. In addition to this, if you want to learn how to backup Windows registry manually, read our post on Steps to backup Windows Registry.
1. Reboot the system and keep pressing “F8” until “Advanced Boot Menu” is displayed
2. Using arrow keys, select Use Safe Mode with Networking, option > hit Enter > restart the PC.
3. Login to your account.
4. Your PC will now run in Safe Mode.
5. Next, in Windows search bar type View advanced system settings > select it
6. Click Advanced tab > Settings > User Profiles
7. Select the profile you want to delete > Delete > Ok
8. Open Run window by pressing Windows + R
9. Type regedit > Ok
10. Head to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>Current Version>Profile List
11. Next, click folders with the name S-1-5 (SID key) followed by numbers.
12. Look for the user profile you want to delete from the right pane. Note: ProfileImagePath will show the user profile name.
13. After finding the right SID, right-click the SID key in the left pane and hit Delete.
14. Thereafter, restart the PC and see if the issue is resolved or not. Doing so will create a new profile automatically.
Method 4 – Modify Registry Settings
If you don’t want to create a new profile, you can try making changes to registry settings and fix the corrupt profile. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Boot your PC into Safe Mode following the steps explained above.
2. Press Windows + R > regedit > Ok
3. Navigate to
4. Select the registry key and locate folders that begin with S-1-5 (SID key), followed by numbers.
5. Select S-1-5 folder > locate ProfileImagePath entry in the right pane, double click it. Make sure it has the user profile name you are facing a problem with.
Note: To check user account right-click > Edit String > here you can see Value data.
6. Reboot the system and see if the problem is resolved or not.
Using these steps, you can resolve The User Profile Service Failed The Logon User Profile Cannot Be Loaded. We hope you find the article informative, and it has helped resolve the problem. Please do drop your feedback in the comments section.
Frequently Asked Question
Q1. How do I fix the User Profile Service failed the logon?
To fix the User Profile Service failed the logon you need to make some changes in Windows registry settings. To do so press Windows + R type regedit > ok Navigate to
Look for the folder named S-1-5 followed by numbers. Rename the folder that ends with .Bak to .BK and one with .BK to nothing at the end.
Now reboot the system and see if it helps.
Q2. What does it mean when the User Profile Service failed the logon?
When you log in to Windows and you see User Profile Service failed logon it means the UserProfile is corrupt and misconfigured. You will either have to create a new one or make some modifications to the existing one.
Q3. How do I fix the User Profile Service failed the sign-in Windows 10?
To fix User Profile Service failed the sign-in, follow the steps below:
- Boot into Safe Mode
- Thereafter, type Command Prompt in the Windows search bar
- Select search result > Run as administrator.
- Type the following command- net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
- Log off from the current user and then try to log in to the administrator account that is enabled.
Note: To disable admin account follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no in command prompt
This will help fix the problem.
How do I fix ProfSvc service failed Windows 10?
- In the Windows search bar, type Command Prompt
- Select search result > Run as administrator.
- Type the following commands in the command window:
sc config ProfSvc start= auto
sc start ProfSvc
- Press Enter > exit command prompt.
- Reboot the machine.
This should help fix the problem.