Renaming Windows files in bulk is a tedious process. To be honest, if you are short on time and still have to organize files, you can’t go about renaming files manually. That’s where you need a dedicated file renamer software. Such tools help you set criteria and rename files automatically. In this blog, we have enlisted some of the best bulk file renamer utilities for Windows 11/10 PC.
What Is A File Renamer Utility? How Can It Be Helpful
While we have enlisted some of the nifty ways to bulk rename files, dedicated file renamer software goes a long way. But, what actually is an auto file renamer?
A file renaming utility makes it simple to rename a large number of files in a few clicks. The main intent of an auto file renamer is to organize and manage files more efficiently. Here are some real-life examples of how one such utility can be helpful –
- Helps batch rename multiple photos by adding date, location, and other EXIF data.
- You can add customizable templates when managing files for a project. The team members can easily understand file relationships with a project.
- When performing academic research, you can insert multiple variables in file names such as author name, keywords, dates, etc.
- After you have downloaded multiple files, you can exercise sequential numbering to avoid overwriting issues.
- For important legal and business documents you can use the date stamping feature so that it becomes easy for you to track what date changes were made to which file.
Best Auto File Renamer Software
Here is a list of some of the best utilities with which you can rename files on your Windows PC in a hassle-free manner –
1. Bulk Rename Utility
Bulk Rename Utility is a free file renaming tool. It helps rename files and folders based on flexible criteria. You can add date/ time stamps, insert text, replace numbers, convert cases, add auto-numbers, process folders, and subfolders, and do a lot more. It is a lightweight batch file renaming utility and doesn’t consume much of your system’s resources.
- Rename multiple Windows files according to many criteria.
- Preview files before renaming them.
- Can handle folders with over 100000 entries.
- Keep track of file name changes.
- Change file modification and creation time stamps.
- Cluttered interface and lack of ID 3 v 2 support.
2. Easy File Renamer
Easy File Renamer helps rename all kinds of files and folders – audio, videos, documents, photos, and all other file types. It doesn’t just allow renaming files and folders on your PC but also on the cloud storage. It helps utilize over 10 file renamer rules. Apart from renaming you can also bulk copy and move files, and edit music and iTunes tags.
- Rename MP3 songs with rules based on music tags. You can even load songs from iTunes.
- The tool doubles up as a data copier and mover.
- Comes with multiple rules to batch rename files on a PC.
- You can even rename files on the cloud as well.
- Edit ID3 tags from within the interface.
- An Internet connection is required to use the Cloud Renamer Feature.
3. EF Multi File Renamer
EF Multi File Renamer, as the name suggests, helps rename multiple files, or even whole directories. It offers clear predefined renaming rules. In case you are an advanced user you can also add complex rules to existing rules. Each set of rules has their own settings. One of the best parts of this tool is that you can save rules and use them later.
- Windows Explorer-like interface.
- Comes with easy to complex rules for renaming files. These rules can be saved for later use.
- Preview files before renaming them. Error recognition if name conflicts.
- Undo the last renaming operation.
- Support for third-party plugins.
- The premium version is a little on the pricier end.
4. Advanced Renamer
Advanced Renamer is a software that helps rename multiple files and folders at once. You can easily configure renaming methods and manipulate file and folder names in multiple ways. One of the aspects that we liked is the fact that before renaming files you can verify the output. And, in case of errors or undesirable output, you can undo changes.
- 14 ways to change names, timestamps, and attributes of files.
- Move and copy files to different locations.
- Construct new file names by adding, replacing, removing, changing cases, or giving new file names based on information about the file.
- Verify output and if it’s not as per your liking; undo the complete batch.
- Change the name of MP3 files using the ID3 function, and add the codec or resolution of a video to the filename.
- Limited functionality with EXIF and ID3 tags.
ReNamer is a powerful and flexible bulk file rename utility that offers various ways in which you can rename Windows files in batches. It offers suffices, standard renaming procedures, case changes, and prefixes. It also lets you add number sequences, change file extensions, remove the contents of brackets, and much more. With this auto file renamer, you can combine multiple renaming actions in a logical sequence.
- Support for regular expressions as well as PascalScript rules.
- Rename folders, Unicode capable, and process regular expressions.
- Support for a variety of metatags like SHA1, ID3v1, ID3v2, EXIF, OLE, AVI, etc.
- Support for multiple languages.
- Too many rules can be overwhelming for some users.
6. File Renamer
File Renamer is a credible lightweight tool that you can install from the Microsoft Store. It looks like a native Windows 11/10 application and takes advantage of the OS’s features. One of the aspects that we liked about this batch file renaming tool is that it lets you preview changes and you can then decide whether or not you wish to continue or not.
- Use regular expressions.
- Change extensions if need be.
- Replace and insert character strings.
- Convert case (upper, lower, title, or sentence case).
- Facilitates enumeration.
- Occasional crashes
7. 1-abc.net File Renamer
1-abc.net File Renamer lets you add as many files as you wish to a file list. You can then change the file positions and define how you want the file names to look like. To a file name, you can add a date and time, customized text, file creation date, single expressions, or any other criteria that you can think of. You can even see the final file names.
- Keep track of renaming actions via activity logs.
- Back up files before renaming them.
- Multi-lingual support.
- Save and restore renaming tasks.
- Rename files on portable devices such as SD cards and USB drives.
- Not supported by the latest Windows versions.
File Renaming Made Easy With Best File Renamers
Renaming multiple files on Windows is certainly no easy feat. Therefore, having a dedicated bulk file rename utility can ease up your file renaming process letting you rename hundreds or even thousands of files in a matter of a few clicks. If you are looking for a file renamer utility for Mac, here are some great file renaming tools for Mac.
If you found this post helpful, do give us a shoutout and if you use one such tool do share your experience in the comments section below. For more such content, keep reading WeTheGeek. Follow us on social media – Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.