When it comes to digital video, AVI is one of the most popular formats. It is regarded for its high-quality playback. However, when it comes to Mac, there are many users who face playback issues. But, fear not! We have come up with a list of some of the best AVI players for your Mac. The below-listed apps won’t just help you play AVI files on Mac but will also offer several features that will enhance your productivity around AVI files.
Best AVI Players for macOS (Free and Paid)
1. Cisdem Video Player
It is one of the most popular and lightweight apps with which you can play AVI files on your Mac including MacBook Pro. It supports a wide range of file formats such as MP4, MKV, MOV, MP3, and many others apart from AVI. For any task, you won’t need any third-party plugin and you can perform all the tasks with the help of Cisdem Video Player only.
- Play 1080p/ 4K/ 5K with no buffering.
- Advanced hardware acceleration to decode source media files faster thereby ensuring smooth playback.
- Support for both external as well as embedded subtitles; it can associate subtitles files located in the same directory.
- Convert videos so as to play them on other devices (Pro version)
- Shuffle, loop, or repeat playback in a playlist.
Pricing – Available as a free Mac AVI Player. Pricing starts at $19.99/ PC for a lifetime.
2. Elmedia Player
It is one of the best AVI players for Mac with which you can play AVI files on your Mac and various other file formats. It also supports streaming on Smart TVs and other DLNA and AirPlay-compatible devices. While it is available as a free AVI player, you can also subscribe for its paid variant in order to enjoy more features. Here are some of its notable features.
- Various playback controls like tweaking subtitles, syncing audio and video, setting speed and many others.
- Autoload AVI file on Mac whose subtitles you have saved already.
- Many video quality enhancement features for AVI files.
- Tweak contrast, brightness, sharpness, and other aspects of your AVI files.
- Inbuilt loop with which you can play specific scenes.
Pricing – Free version available. Pricing starts at $19.99
JustPlay is yet another simple and lightweight video player that is capable of playing an ocean of video and audio formats. The developers ensure that new updates are released frequently in order to fix bugs and issues. For instance, recently, the inability to turn off the option “Resume playing from where playback was stopped” was fixed.
- No additional codecs are required as it supports all major file formats including AVI.
- Various audio equalizers depending on music and spaces.
- Flexible screen settings – fit player window as per video size. You can even preserve the aspect ratio.
- Deinterlacing option to fix irritating horizontal stripes on fast-moving objects.
- Various options to tweak video image settings – saturation, brightness, contrast, etc.
Pricing – $4.99
4. Total Video Player
It is one of the highest-rated apps on the App Store with which you can play AVI files on Mac. It comes with advanced decoding technology that ensures that no lagging surfaces while you are playing back AVI files on your Mac. It supports all kinds of media files including MP4, 1080p, H264, FLV and MOV files. It even supports CD and DVD audios as well.
- Play corrupted or incomplete videos
- Manage media files through the professional playlist.
- Adjust text color, size, and font of subtitles.
- Enjoy the same effect of 1080p video even if it is in 1080i format.
- Easily capture screenshots.
Pricing – $9.99
5. VLC Media Player
In the world of media players, VLC media players hold a respectable place. It is one of the best media players on Windows and so it is on Mac as well. It is a free AVI player for Mac that plays almost any multimedia file and it is also capable of playing various streaming protocols as well. It comes packed with various features, some of which are mentioned below.
- Drag and drop media playback.
- Plays various file types with ease.
- Balance audio playback with audio normalization.
- Can double as a video downloader.
- Play videos from various streaming platforms.
Pricing – Free
It is a powerful movie player for Mac that is capable of playing AVI media files apart from various other file formats. To play AVI files you can also use QuickTime player or FFmpeg decoder for each video codec and then you can reopen using other decoders instantly. It supports features such as digital audio out (S/ PDIF), decoder acceleration, high-quality subtitles, and many others.
- Supports all kinds of subtitles including 3D substitutes.
- Supports single Windows as well as multiple files.
- Various options to manage playlists.
- You can rotate and flip videos.
- App sandbox supported
Pricing – $4.99
It is yet another popular multimedia software to play AVI files on Mac. It has a user-friendly interface and it offers high-quality video playback. MPlayerX is regarded for its speed, simplicity, and a variety of customization options. One of the highlights of MPlayerX is that as long as the file names are numbered in a folder, the app will read and play the next playable file for you.
- Easy playback control gestures – pinch, tap or swipe to control playback.
- Drag and drop video.
- Support for subtitles of not just Latin but even Eastern Asian, Hebrew, and Arabic languages.
- Play videos from many platforms such as YouTube, Instagram, Vimeo, etc by directly dragging links into the interface.
- Plug in your SPDIF cable and MPlayerX will output raw DTS/AC3 stream without the need of any extra settings.
Pricing – It is a free AVI player for Mac
Enjoy Seamless AVI Playback On Mac
Now that you have some of the best AVI media players for Mac, you can say goodbye to all playback issues. With players like Elmedia Player, Cidem Video Player, VLC Media Player, and many others you can enjoy media files in high quality. If you have a favorite that didn’t make it to the list, do let us know in the comments section below. For more such content, keep reading WeTheGeek. You can also reach out to us on Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Flipboard and Pinterest.