Choosing an excellent audio recording software for Mac can be quite a challenging task as there are a variety of options available in the market. Some of them are free, some contain a comprehensive set of tools to flawlessly record, edit, and more. While there are some paid options with premium tools designed for professional users.
To save your precious time and efforts while searching for the best audio recorder for Mac, we’ve gathered some must-have programs that you can use for recording audio for music production, podcasts, or something else.
Top 8 Audio Recorder For Mac
By default, Mac users are offered the flawless ability to record sounds directly from Mac’s internal mic, which works quite well to make quick audio notes. In case you want to record professional audio, we recommend using the following programs.
Audacity is a free audio recording software and is considered one of the most accessible solutions for different kinds of users who want to instantly get started with audio recording and editing. Talking about the UI, it has a simple & easy-to-use dashboard and you don’t have to spend a lot of time learning how it works. Additionally, it has tons of features to record, mix, organize, export different file formats & more that are certainly enough to produce a good piece of music. It offers an incredible set of effects, including bass, treble, distortion, echo, and more to refine your work. Plus, it comes with effective analysis tools like beat finder, silence finder, sound finder, and more.
- Free audio recorder for Mac.
- Suitable option for beginners.
- It has lots of effects and features.
- Provides easy stereo recording ability.
- Unfortunately, you can have up to 16 audio tracks at the same time.
- The audio recording software does not support MIDI recording.
PRICE: Free to download and use.
You Might Want To Read: 6 Best Spotify To MP3 Converters For Windows & Mac
GarageBand is another amazing option under the category of Best free audio recording software for Mac, iPhone, or iPad. Unlike other audio recorders for Mac, it lets you work on the same music projects across all of your Apple devices. It is a powerful tool for creating, arranging, and recording music. The developers keep on improving the utility with exciting subsystems, such as a virtual beat maker, drummer, and more. You can also access the massive Apple Loops library to get started with writing something new using impressive virtual instruments.
- It works with a simple drag and drop process.
- Includes an extensive library of sounds and instruments.
- Comes with various built-in audio effects and filters.
- Supports popular audio file formats.
- Basic editing feature as compared to other audio recorders for Mac.
- User interface might seem overwhelming to amateurs.
PRICE: Free audio recording software
3. Pro Tools
Pro Tools is a premium audio recording app designed and developed by Avid technology, that you can use on your MacBook. It comes with native instruments like Komlete Kontrol MIDI keyboards, music synthesizer, and more. The audio recorder software maintains its status as the best cross-platform solution for professional audio recording and editing for films, music, games, and broadcasts. Additionally, it offers a decent selection of virtual instruments and plugins for producing exceptional music pieces. This is perhaps one of the most used audio recording software in the professional world right now.
- Standard audio recorder for professional use.
- Has a great recording quality.
- Great audio recorder software for mixing tracks.
- Supports stereo and mono audio tracks at almost all sample rates.
- It is not user-friendly for beginners.
- Plugins can be expensive to get.
You Might Want To Read: MacBook Sound Not Working ? Here Are The Fixes!
4. Ableton Live 11
Ableton Live 11 is top-notch audio recording software for Mac with a wide range of tools needed in a music creation environment. Ableton Live 11 lets you create, produce and play music within an intuitive dashboard. The audio recorder for Mac keeps everything in sync and works in real-time so that you can modify and manage your creative workflow. It is an audio sequencer that can be used like any other instrument. Additionally, the audio recording tool features a large number of sound creation modules and sample libraries and innovative editing controls for creating any kind of music.
- Its compositing workflow is among the easiest to use.
- Has good MIDI controller support.
- Let’s you edit tracks quickly in real-time.
- Easy multitrack grouping and routing capabilities.
- It does not have Pitch correcting tools.
- The user interface needs updates.
PRICE: $99 for Live Intro
$449 for Live Standard
$749 for Live Suite
5. Audio Hijack
Developed by Rogue Amoeba, Audio Hijack is free to download and comes with a 15-day trial period. It is one of the best audio recording software for Mac, and it can record audio from multiple applications like Internet radio, DVD, or anything on the web. The Mac audio recorder software is suitable for recording Skype interviews and Zoom meetings. With an impressive user interface, Audio Hijack supports audio recording from an internal Mac mic, external microphone, or any other external device. Not only this, it has a built-in ability to adjust volume and add effects/filters to refine your final work.
- Has lots of inbuilt effects.
- User-friendly interface.
- Can record from all kinds of sources on your Mac.
- Manage recorded audio files easily.
- Certain features need to be installed separately.
Another top-notch audio recording app for Mac, Ardour, offers the ability to record audio, edit them, and mix tracks as per your needs and preferences. Talking about the user interface, it is quite easy to use. The audio recorder for Mac is a suitable choice for professionals like audio engineers, musicians, soundtrack editors, and composers. If we look at the functional aspect, Ardour has a lot of useful tools to offer, including hardware editing support, multi-track recording, and advanced options to edit and mix soundtracks. Moreover, you have routing, inline plugin control, etc., in the mixing zone.
- It supports multi-track recording.
- Offers lots of plugins.
- Works flawlessly with drag and drop functionality.
- It has powerful routing & mixing options as well.
- Dashboard needs to be updated.
- It does not have advanced features as compared to other audio recorders.
7. Reaper 6
Reaper is another audio recording and editing software that is an incredibly powerful, feature-packed, option than its counterparts on this list. It comes with multi-track support and has excellent multi-channel compatibility with 64 channels per track. It also provides the ability to directly record audio to mono, stereo, or even multi-channel audio files. Additionally, it allows users to record to multiple discs at the same time to avoid data redundancy. As compared to other audio recording programs, Reaper supports a wide array of file formats including AIFF, AVI, BWF, CDDA, EDL, FLAC, KAR, MIDI, MOGG, MOV, MP3, MPEG, and more.
- It has multi-channel support.
- Powerful MIDI routing system is offered.
- Supports thousands of plugins and virtual instruments.
- Supports a multitude of audio file formats.
- Expensive audio recording program.
- Not very friendly for beginners.
PRICE: $ 225
8. Logic Pro X
Last but not least in consideration, Logic Pro X is another feature-packed audio recording software for Mac that you can use in 2023. It’s a complete professional recording studio for producing great music in a couple of clicks. The first version was released in 2013 as a successor to Logic Pro 9. It contains an incredible set of tools for writing, recording, editing, and mixing beats and tracks on Mac. With Logic Pro X makes switching between production phases, from recording to arranging or mixing songs an effortless process. It includes a huge collection of instruments, effects, and loops, to create professional-sounding compositions.
- It comes with lots of advanced features.
- Supports a wide range of instruments and loops.
- It has Dolly Atoms tools.
- It comes with a 3D object panner.
- You have to purchase the Plugins.
Wrapping Up Best Audio Recorder Utilities For Mac To Use In 2023
So, these were some of our top recommendations in the category of best audio recording software available in the market for Mac users.
With these reliable audio recorders for Mac, you will be able to record any sound from your machine or via external microphones like a pro. Software like Audacity and Garageband can be the best choice for someone who is a beginner. On the other hand, individuals who want to record audio professionally can try using Pro Tools and Reaper 6. You can consider using any of them according to your needs, keeping in mind all the factors related to features, ease of use, and cost. If you have any further queries or problems, drop a line in the comments field below.