Windows Security is your Windows built-in defense against malware, viruses, and hackers. Quite like other apps, it sometimes can act up. For instance, many users have complained that they see a blank or black screen when launched. In this post, we’ll discuss the issue in greater detail and have a look at ways you can fix the issue.
Why Is Windows Security Showing A Black Screen?
There are multiple reasons why you are seeing a blank or black screen when launching Windows Security. We’ll quickly enlist some of the reasons below. You can click on the links and directly jump to the section where we have discussed and enlisted the steps for the problem in that link-
- A third-party Antivirus is interfering with Windows Security. If you are looking for an alternative, here are some options.
- Corrupt system files.
- Reset or Repair Windows Security.
- Pending Windows Update
- Windows Defender Antivirus service is disabled. Enabling it may help.
Best Ways To Fix Windows Security Black/ Blank Screen Issue in Windows 11/10
Solution No. 1 – Restart Your Computer
If Windows Security is showing a blank or black screen chances are there are bugs and glitches in your system. Before you try any advanced measures to fix the issue, simply restart your computer once and then check if the issue persists or not.
Solution No. 2 – Run SFC Scan
Corrupt system files are often the root cause of Windows-related issues and if you are seeing a black or blank screen when trying to start Windows Security, it could be that there are corrupt system files. A simple Command Prompt command can help fix the issue –
- In the Windows search bar, type cmd and click on Run as administrator.
- When the Command Prompt opens type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Once the process is complete, restart the computer and check if the issue is fixed or not.
Solution No. 3 – Restart Windows Security Center Service
The service is responsible for detecting and notifying you of any security issues and pending updates. It can also help you out in case your Windows Security service is disabled. To check it, here are the steps –
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R.
- When the dialog box opens, type services.msc and press Enter.
- In the window that opens next, scroll down and locate Security Center.
- Check its status. In case it is not running, right-click on it and click on Restart.
Solution No. 4 – Reset or Repair The App
In case Windows Security is malfunctioning, Windows offers a way in which you can either terminate the app and its related processes or repair or reset it. Here are the steps to do that both in Windows 10 and Windows 11 –
In Windows 11 –
- Open Settings by pressing Windows + I key combination.
- Click on Apps from the left-hand pane.
- From the right, click on Installed Apps.
- Scroll down and locate the Windows Security app.
- Click on the three horizontal dots and select Advanced options.
- Again scroll down and click on the Repair button. Check if you are still seeing the black screen while using Windows Security or not.
- In case you are still seeing the black or blank screen, click on the Reset button.
If you are a Windows 10 user and want Reset or Repair the Windows Security app, check out this post.
Solution No. 5 – Update Windows
Microsoft regularly releases updates by the way of which it introduces new features and resolves any impending bugs and glitches. Quite likely a malfunctioning Windows Security app can get back on track with one such update. Here is how you can check for and update Windows 10. Up update Windows 11 –
- Right-click on the Windows button and select Settings.
- Scroll down the left-hand pane and click on Windows Update.
- Click on Check for updates. If there are any pending updates, click on Download & Install and follow the on-screen instructions.
Never Let Threats Catch You Off Guard
You must take prompt action whenever there are discrepancies in your Windows Security app so that malicious threats can’t bank upon them. We hope that once you have tried the steps mentioned above, you will no more see a blank or black screen when launching Windows Defender. Do let us know which of the above solutions helped you. For more such content, keep reading WeTheGeek. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter.