Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg recently revealed that WhatsApp will get a new feature called ‘Chat Lock’. This feature will provide users with the ability to safeguard their private chats by locking them behind a password and storing them in a separate folder.
With the ‘Chat Lock’ feature, users will have the peace of mind of knowing that their private conversations are protected and secured. The newly announced feature ensures enhanced privacy by granting access exclusively through biometric authentication or the user’s smartphone passcode, such as a trustworthy fingerprint. This innovative approach provides an added layer of security, giving users complete control over their most confidential conversations.
WhatsApp New ‘Chat Lock’ Feature
“New locked chats in WhatsApp make your conversations more private. They’re hidden in a password-protected folder and notifications won’t show sender or message content,” Mark Zuckerberg said.
“It also automatically hides the contents of that chat in notifications, too,” said WhatsApp.
This remarkable feature ensures not only the protection of chats but also discreetly conceals their contents, safeguarding sensitive information from prying eyes. With Chat Lock, users can rest assured that intrusive notifications won’t inadvertently expose confidential details. This unique functionality is specifically tailored to address real-life situations where individuals may share their phones with family members or find themselves in environments where others may have access to their devices.
How to Enable and Use WhatsApp’s News Chat Lock Feature
This new feature joins the ranks of other privacy-focused functionalities such as disappearing messages, end-to-end encryption, screenshot blocking, encrypted backups, and many more.
Users can easily access this option within the chat’s info settings, allowing them to customize their privacy preferences with ease. However, for those who haven’t set up device authentication, such as a fingerprint, phone password, or Face ID, WhatsApp ensures a seamless experience by prompting them to set it up before enabling the Chat Lock feature.
Here’s How to Use Whatsapp Chat Lock Feature –
- First thing first, check if there is an update for your WhatsApp app. Tap and hold on to the app icon for at least two seconds > App info > Advanced > App details. It will take you to the Google Play Store, if there’s an update available tap on
- Open WhatsApp on your device and look for the chat you want to lock in the chat list.
- Tap on the profile picture of the particular contact or group.
- Look for a fresh option labeled “Chat Lock” positioned just below the disappearing message
- Activate the Chat Lock functionality to fortify your privacy measures, and establish authentication by utilizing your phone’s password or biometrics, if supported.
How to Access Locked Chat Folder –
- Open WhatsApp and swipe down.
- Now tap on the Locked Chat folder.
- Validate your identity effortlessly by either confirming your Face ID, inputting your password, or simply touching the fingerprint sensor.
Well for the time this article is being written, we have not received this new feature, but with a global rollout, the company is making Chat Lock available to WhatsApp users across Android and iOS devices worldwide.