Are you using the Wave browser on your computer? Have you recently been viewing the negative reviews about the web browser? Several security professionals have identified the Wave browser as a severe security risk. Let us find out if using Wave browser can be a threat to your data and how do you remove it from your device.
Read Also: Use The Best Privacy Android Browsers
What is Wave Browser?
Despite being created by Wavesor software in late 2015, the browser’s true origin is still a mystery. Polarity Technologies Ltd, the parent company of Wavesor software, has a tight working relationship with the Chinese company Genimous Technology Co.
Wave Browser is just a Chromium-based browser. However, there is cause for caution because it is notorious for installing itself on computers without consent. Because of this, it is referred to as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). By using installation wizards or plugins, Wave Browser can gain access to your computer.
Read Also: Most Secure Web Browsers For Private Browsing- Safest Internet Browsers
Why Should You Remove Wave Browser?
Browser hijackers & PUPs are built to avoid removal attempts and continue functioning normally. It may even pretend to be absent from users’ computers using graphical elements. Therefore, removing them from your computer might be rather tricky.
Although it isn’t a virus, it could lead to security issues if it is not uninstalled. It looks like a reliable browser that is accessible on its official website but Wave browser is a well-known browser hijacker.
This indicates that it might alter your web browser’s options, aesthetic settings, and other properties. Additionally, it can impact your web browser’s privacy settings or potentially put your sensitive and private data in danger.
Read Also: Why Use A Password Manager Over Web Browser-Based Password Managers
How To Remove Wave Browser From Your PC
If you have installed it on your computer from the official website at wavebrowser.com, everything is fine because you chose to do so. However, if you discover that it has suddenly been installed on your computer, it’s possible that it was packed with some other program. You might wish to uninstall it because that is bad behavior at this point. To do so, follow these below-mentioned methods:
1. Via Control Panel
- Press the “Windows” and type “Control Panel” in the search box.
- Click on “Open,” and the Control Panel windows appear in front of you.
- Locate & click on “Program and Features.”
- Then, a list of installed applications on your computer will appear in front of you.
- Locate the Wave browser application, right-click on it, and then select “Uninstall.”
2. Via Windows Settings
- Press the “Windows” key with the key “X” to open the “Win X” menu.
- At the top of the menu, you will find the “Apps and Features” option tap on it.
- Locate the Wave Browser application by scrolling down to the application list.
- Tap on the three-dot menu right in front of the Wave browser and click on “Uninstall.”
3. Kill Wave Browser Processes in Task Manager
There’s a possibility that your computer has a few activities and processes associated with Wave Browser. You must take all necessary precautions to remove it because it is usual for such browser hijackers to linger after being removed from your computer.
- Press “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Esc” keys altogether to open the “Task Manager.”
- Identify all Wave Browser-related processes. Watch out for titles like Genimous, Wavesor, and Polarity as well.
- Tap on “End Task” after selecting each relevant process.
Read Also: 10 Best Web Browsers For Linux
To Wrap This Up
This is how you can completely uninstall the Wave Browser from your computer. I believe you now have a better understanding of the Wave Browser and its safety issues. Because of the reasons above, you should remove the software immediately if you discover it was installed without your permission. And if you have other possible methods worth mentioning here, let us know in the comments below.