A RAM Drive Software is a type of application that temporarily converts your RAM into a secondary storage device and saves certain files on it. The size of your RAM depends on the size of the virtual storage space that can be created. These apps only utilize the extra RAM that is unutilized and stores temp files that are frequently accessed.
Did you know that your RAM is 200 times faster than your HDD and at least 100 times faster than your SSD?
This means you can retrieve the data stored in RAM at incredible speeds as compared to that stored on your hard disk. Now it is not possible to store all your data on RAM due to its volatile nature but you can reserve some part of your unused RAM for storing those files that are frequently used. This can only be done by using RAM Drive Software that would result in apps and files responding at a much faster rate. Also, the more RAM you have, the more can be reserved by RAM Drive Software as a temporary virtual storage device.
Some of the processes that require frequent access to files on your hard drive are playing games, browsing the internet, audio and video editing, databases, and CAD applications.
Note: A Ram Drive Software works oppositely in terms of the Pagefile.sys. The former transfers files from your hard drive to the unused portion of the RAM while the latter reserves a space on the hard disk and transfers the RAM data on your hard disk when the RAM is running low on memory.
Why Should We Use A RAM Drive Software?
There are certain advantages of using RAM Drive Software on PCs with a substantial amount of RAM.
- Improves processing speed as some of the frequently needed files can be accessed faster. This also improves the load times of your apps and games.
- Security is improved because all the data stored on the RAM is wiped out the moment it loses power.
- Utilizes the unused RAM which makes your PC faster.
- Increases your Hard Disk life as the number of read and write operations decreases with some of the data being accessed once and copied to RAM where it can be accessed multiple times without using the hard drive.
- Increase In Disk Writing Speeds as all the incoming data is first stored on your RAM and then written to your hard drive once. This allows your computer to facilitate heavy read and write operations with ease.
Best RAM Drive Software You Must Use
Now that you know what RAM Drive Software is and why it is so important to have one on your PC, let’s check out the best RAM Drive Software, and then you can pick the best one for yourself:
List of Contents
1. Primo Ramdisk
Primo Ramdisk is an amazing RAM drive software that has an easy-to-use interface and is designed to make your PC faster. It uses the unused space on your RAM and stores files like cache and cookies which are frequently used by apps or surfing the internet. This makes the response time of apps and games better than before.
- Helps utilize invisible RAM
- Dynamic Memory Management
- Allows Users to choose Volume Label and Drive Letter.
- Supports FAT/FAT32/NTFS file systems.
Price: $29.95 for one PC (Personal or Professional)
2. AMD Radeon RAMDisk
The next one on the list of best RAM drive software is the AMD Radeon RAMDisk application which delivers a flawless gaming experience and smooth browsing on the internet. This application was developed to increase the reading and writing speed of files on your system memory which would automatically improve the performance.
- Accelerate loading times of apps & games.
- The free version utilizes up to 4 GB only.
- Allows users to utilize more RAM with paid versions.
Price: Free for 4 GB, $10 for 12GB, $13 for 24 GB, $15 for 32GB and $19 for 64GB.
3. Gilisoft RAMDisk
Moving forward we have Gilisoft which is another amazing RAM drive application that creates a virtual disk space in your unused RAM that is accessible in Windows Explorer and other apps. This virtual drive can also be shared with others on a network. The disk created is faster than any hard disk and helps to obtain a higher-performing PC. Users can choose the size of the virtual drive created along with its drive letter and file system.
- Improves browsing speeds.
- Enhances gaming performance.
- Extends the life of your hard drives.
- Users can copy, move and delete files on this disk.
4. Ultra RAMDisk
Ultra RAMDisk is a RAM drive application that consumes the least amount of CPU resources and utilizes your extra RAM space into a temporary hard drive. This helps to reduce performance issues to a great extent and improves PC’s response time. It supports all Windows OS versions from XP to Windows 10.
- It supports drive creation up to 16TB
- Can be used for 128 devices.
- Create your own Drive Letter and Volume Label
- Dynamic memory allocation
Price: $29.95 for 1 PC, $49.95 for 2 PC, $69.95 for 3 PC.
5. Qiling Disk Master Free
The Qiling Disk Master is a remarkable suite of apps bundled as different modules in one master application. This app helps the users to create a disk backup with many different functions like schedule backup, compression, password protection, and disk imaging. It also supports disk defragmentation and disk recovery features like data restore OS recovery environment, and system migration.
- Supports File backup and File recovery.
- Disk Clone and Disk Management
- Other misc tools like creating bootable media and HDD health information.
6. StarWind RAM Disk
StarWind RAM Disk app provides virtual storage to its users which delivers high-performance storage, this type of storage is volatile but can be efficiently used for testing, troubleshooting cases, and other misc uses. This RAM drive tool is available free of cost and supports all types of RAM devices.
- Improves your PC’s existing performance.
- Easy and simple to use with a few mouse clicks.
- Free of charge and easy to download.
OSFMount is a multi-tasking software that was initially designed to help users mount local disk image files. However with many updates over the years, certain new modules have been added and one of them is creating a RAM drive. These drives are mounted in your RAM and provide a speed benefit over SSDs and HDDs. Applications that use cache files like games and browsers are greatly benefitted from this software as it saves all the cache files in the RAM drive which is easier and faster to access.
- Supports Windows 7,8 and 10
- Can mount images of compact disks in ISO format.
- Helps to mount local disk image files.
8. SoftPerfect RAM Disk
SoftPerfect RAM disk creates a virtual disk in your existing RAM which acts similar to a logical drive and can store certain files and cache that are frequently used. It also decreases the number of read/write on your physical hard disk and extends the durability of HDD and SSD.
- Create up to 26 RAM Disks
- Volatile in nature and will lose data after power loss
- Disk Image manipulation tools.
The Final Word on What is Ram Drive Software and List of Best Ram Drive Software
RAMDrive software is an important program that helps to increase the speed and performance of your PC and at the same time extends the life of our hard drives. With such benefits, this has become one of the must-have applications in all computers similar to an antivirus. If you are looking for a free application the Qiling Disk Master is a multi-purpose app that provides additional features including the RAM Drive module. And if you are ready to spend a few dollars then Primo RAMDisk is the ultimate software that will help improve the performance of your PC. Follow us on social media – Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.