A USB device has been a part of technology since long and is still popular due to its portability and ease of use in file sharing. But have you ever thought is the data you are storing on your Flash Drive safe? While we all do not pay much attention to the security of the data, we make it vulnerable to attacks if they are stolen or lost. In order to keep all the stored data in a secure manner, we need to make sure the data saved is secure. Some of the best techniques one can use are:
- Encrypt the data stored using a USB lock software.
- Take a backup of all the data stored in a safe location such as cloud storage.
This article walks you through the first point where we will discuss what is Encryption, its benefits and how to password protect the flash drive using a USB protection software.
What is Encryption?
In layman terms, Encryption is a method of securing data by making it unreadable into an encoded format which can only be decoded or converted back to readable format by authorized entities which have the decryption key.
Readable or plain text is encrypted using an algorithm and a key. The encrypted text is usually referred to as Cipher text. The Cipher text can be decrypted by the receiver only with the correct decryption key.
Is Password Protecting A Flash Drive Important?
While it is not necessary, it is always recommended to encrypt the data stored on a Flash drive since it may carry personal and sensitive data. The main reason is since USB drives are so small, the probability of losing them is high. So, in case of any such losses, your data will be secure from unauthorized access. Hence, it is always a good habit to password protect a USB drive.
Best USB Protection Software To Lock USB Drive:
1. Gilisoft USB Encryption:
As discussed, the best method to password protect your Flash drive is to use a USB protection program. Amongst our search for the best program, Gilisoft USB Encryption stands first in our list.
With a 5-star rating on CNET, Softpedia, EuroDownload it is pretty evident how amazing the program is. With Gilisoft USB Encryption it gets easy to encrypt flash drive and secure your important data.
Gilisoft USB Encryption provides security by dividing the flash drive into two categories namely, secure area and public area.
The public area is used to store the normal files whereas, secure area is to store the important and sensitive data. All the files that are stored in the secure area are encrypted and can be accessed by authorized entities with the set password.
It stands out from the other USB lock software because of its varied features which are described below:
- Enhanced password protection engine based on 256-bits AES on-the-fly encryption that secured data effectively.
- Supports multiple external storage devices including USD drives.
- Easy encryption of all kind of data including files, documents, folders etc.
- Is compatible with Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Windows 7/8/10 (both 32 and 64 bit)
- Can easily be relied upon because of its multiple layer patent pending protection method.
- Comes with a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to use.
- Continuous upgrades for a more refined safety and it free for lifetime.
2. USB Safeguard:
Yet another USB protection software is USB Safeguard that uses the AES-256 algorithm to secure files, folders, etc by encrypting them and protecting them with a password.
Some of the best features of this lock USB drive software are:
- Supports multiple external drives such as flash drive, external drive, SSD etc.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Uses AES-256 algorithm to secure files.
- Automatically locks the drive when not in use or is unplugged from the device.
|It is seen that protecting your personal and sensitive data is a mandate for everyone.There may be instances where you may have unauthorized access to your PC and ends up compromising your important data.
For this, you can always have a File Shredder program installed that permanently deletes files from your Windows PC making them unrecoverable.
To know more read 10 Best File Shredder Software for Windows 10, 8 & 7
3. Rohos Mini Drive:
Rohos Mini Drive is one more amazing software to password protect your USB Flash Drive. It works by creating partitions that are hidden on your disk keeping your data safe and secure. It easily encrypt and password protect your files stored on the flash drive and hence makes an amazing USB lock software.
Some of its features are:
- Easy creation of encrypted folders on the USB drive.
- AES 256-bit method of encryption.
- Compatible with Windows 10/8/7.
4. Kruptos 2 Go:
This is again an awesome USB lock software that provides utmost security to your USB drive. All you need to do it, drag-drop the files/folders into the secure vault of Kruptos 2 Go and the files gets encrypted automatically. This helps to protect your data from any kind of unauthorized access.
Some of the features of this lock USB drive software are:
- Prevent illegitimate access thus protects from identity theft.
- Easy to use Interface.
- Support multiple file types.
These were some of the best password protect USB drive software, using which you do not have to worry about losing your sensitive data stored on a USB drive. While having a software is always a good idea, people are also using Cloud storages to have their data safe and secure.
One such amazing cloud storage application is RightbackUp from Systweak Software.
“RightBackup is an online storage service that keeps your data safe and backed up off-site, away from your home or office, is that it’s safe from theft, fire, and other local disasters.”
Do let us know how you liked the article, please key in your valuable suggestions and feedback in the Comments section below.