Want to play audio on Windows 10 but cannot due to the error saying “The Audio Service is not running?” My friend, you’re not alone. Other Windows users like us also face the same problem.
But there’s good news.
In this troubleshooting guide, we will explain different ways using which you can fix this problem.
Make sure you follow step by step instructions to fix the problem.
4 Ways to Fix The Audio Service is not running on Windows 10
Method 1 Modify Windows Audio services
1. Type services in the Windows search bar.
2. Double click to launch Windows services window
3. Search for Windows Audio services. For easy searching, press W
4. Right-click > Properties
5. Click Log On tab
6. Select This account type Local Service and enter the password
Note: If you do not know the password, you can set a new password > OK. Alternatively, you can click Browse button > Advanced > Find Now > select LOCAL SERVICE from the search result and click OK.
7. After selecting LOCAL SERVICE, click Apply > OK
8. However, if you are unable to save changes, you need to make changes to the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service.
9. In the Services window, look for Windows Audio Endpoint Builder > Properties > Log on tab.
10. Select Local System account from Log On tab > Apply > OK.
11. Now try to make changes to Windows Audio settings and save them. You should be able to do it successfully.
This should fix the audio service is not running an error message; however, if you face any problem, move to the next solution.
Method 2 Start Windows Audio Components
a. Start Windows Audio Services
1. Press Windows + R keys to open Run window
2. Type services.msc and press enter
3. Now search for the following services:
- Windows Audio
- Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
- Plug and Play
4. Ensure Startup Type for each of these services is set to Automatic, and the services are running. Even if this is the case, right-click each service and select Restart.
Note: If Startup Type is not set to Automatic, you’ll need to double click each service and change the Startup type by clicking on the down arrow. To do this, you will have to stop the service > change Startup type > and then restart the service.
5. Afterward, press Windows + R and type MSConfig in the Run window.
6. Click the Services tab and ensure Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, Windows Audio, and Plug and Play services are checked.
7. Click Apply > OK.
8. Next, restart the system to save changes and fix the audio service not running on Windows 10 problem.
b. Start Windows Audio Components
1. Press Windows + R to open Run window
2. Type services.msc and press Enter key
3. Again, find Windows Audio service and double click it.
4. Click Dependencies tab > unhide the components listed in the service.
5. Make sure all the components listed there are running in the Services window.
6. Restart the Windows Audio service and restart Windows 10 to apply changes.
Now check this should fix the audio problem on Windows 10.
Method 3 Run Audio Troubleshooter
1. Press Window + I to open Windows Settings > Update & Security.
2. Click Troubleshoot from the left pane.
3. Click Playing Audio > Run the troubleshooter.
4. Select the devices you want to troubleshoot and follow on-screen instructions.
5. Windows troubleshooter will now diagnose the issue and will ask if you want to apply fixes. Click Apply this fix and Restart to apply changes.
Method 4 Update Audio Driver
If the above solutions did not work, it seems the audio drive is either corrupted or outdated. To fix this, you can visit the manufacturer site and update the driver. But not everyone can do it. Therefore, we have an easy way to do it.
How to update the audio driver using Smart Driver Care
1. Download and install Smart Driver Care.
2. Click Scan Now to scan the system and detect problematic drivers.
3. Let the scan finish and then look for an outdated audio driver. If you are using the trial version, you can click Update Driver next to it.
However, if you are using a registered version, click Update All to update all outdated drivers.
4. Reboot the computer and see the audio service not running; the problem should be resolved.
That’s all using these simple methods you can fix audio service not running on Windows 10. We hope your audio problem was resolved after following the solutions. Please let us know which method worked for in the comments section. Also, please share it with your friends, and whosoever needs with updating drivers.