Today, sharing files over web is quite common as it is a quick and simple process. There are many service providers who provide cloud backup and file transfer services for a subscription fee. But data security is still a major concern among all of us. Online file transfer can be accessed by hackers if some security steps are not implemented. To patch up such security loopholes, Mozilla Firefox introduced a secure file transfer platform simply known as ‘Send’. What is Firefox Send? How to share file using this feature, let’s find out answer for all such questions?
What is Firefox Send?
Firefox Test Pilot came with an experimental feature which is known as ‘Send’. Though ‘Send’ is a file sharing feature started by Mozilla but can be accessed using any modern browser. It means that any user who wish to use this feature is not bounded to use it only on Mozilla Firefox browser.
Moreover, ‘Send’ is a completely free service in which a user can send files using web based interface. It allows user to upload their file (one file at a time) on Mozilla servers, which can be downloaded at another place by using a sharable link.
In this process, Firefox completely take care about the privacy and security of files by encrypting them during uploading, which makes it more secure in comparison to other such service providers.
How to share a file using Firefox ‘Send’
- Since this feature is browser independent, therefore open any browser of your choice and in the URL type send.firefox.com and hit enter.
- Now to share any file just click on Select a file to upload.
- Browse and choose a file which you wish to upload and click on Open.
- Now after encryption your file will be uploaded to Firefox servers. So just wait till the process gets completed.
- Once your file is uploaded you will receive a sharable link. So, just copy the link and share it with the user to whom you wish to send the file.
How to download the file using sharable link
- To download the file, just open the shareable link on your web browser. This will give you the option to download the file.
- During download it will firstly decrypt the file and then download it to your PC.
Limitations of Firefox ‘Send’
- For security purpose, the file is allowed to download only once. It means that once the file is downloaded it is deleted from Mozilla’s server.
- The Firefox only hold the file for 24 hours on their servers. After 24 hours, file will automatically get deleted.
- For better operation, it is recommended to upload a file up to 1 Gb.
Benefits of using Firefox ‘Send’
Basically, security is the main benefit of using Firefox ‘Send’, as the file which you have uploaded is permitted to download only once. Also, if the file is not downloaded within 24 hours then it will be automatically deleted. Apart from this the file is encrypted before uploading on the servers. In this way, all these feature gives a confidence to the user that their data transmission is safe.
This project Send is still an experimental project of Mozilla, which means that we will surely see more features added to it in the near future.