Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word have become indispensable tools for businesses, academics, and individuals alike. However, nothing is more frustrating than encountering a corrupted file just before an important presentation or deadline. Corrupted files are a common occurrence, and they can be especially frustrating when they affect important work documents. If you have a corrupted Excel, Word, or PowerPoint file, don’t panic. There are a few things you can try to repair corrupted Excel/Word files.
So let’s get started.
Why Does a Microsoft Excel/Word File Get Corrupted?
There are a number of reasons why Excel/Word files in Windows can become corrupted. Some of the most common include:
Sudden system shutdown: If your computer shuts down unexpectedly while Excel is running, it can corrupt the files that are currently open. This can happen due to a power outage, a hardware failure, or a software bug.
Virus infection: Viruses and other malware can also corrupt Excel files. If your computer is infected, it is important to scan it immediately with a reputable antivirus program.
Hard disk failure: If the hard disk where your Excel files are stored fails, it can corrupt the files. This is why it is important to have regular backups of your data.
File transfer errors: If you transfer an Excel file from one computer to another and there is an error during the transfer, it can corrupt the file. This is why it is important to use a reliable file transfer method, such as a cloud storage service or a USB drive.
Software bugs: Sometimes, Excel itself can contain bugs that can corrupt files. Microsoft regularly releases updates to fix these bugs, so it is important to keep your software up to date.
Here’s How To Repair Corrupted Excel, Word, and PowerPoint Files on Windows
When a file is corrupted, it may become unreadable or unusable. If you have a corrupted Excel, Word, or PowerPoint file, there are a few things you can try to repair it and recover your data.
1. Turn Off Protected View
Protected View is a security feature designed to shield your system from frequent malware attacks when opening Word files. If you want to deactivate or switch off Protected View in Excel or Word, you can do so by following these steps:
- Open MS Excel on your PC/Laptop.
- Now from the top-left corner tap on File and then choose options.
- Click on Trust Center and then tap on Trust Center Settings.
- Tap on the Protected View tab and uncheck all boxes here.
- Hit the OK
Following that, go ahead and open your Excel or Word file. You should encounter no further issues.
2. Repair via Built-In Utility
If the previously mentioned solution doesn’t prove effective for your situation, you have the option to utilize the Repair feature in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Follow these steps to initiate the repair process for a corrupted Excel file.
- Create a new Excel file and then navigate to File and then click on open.
- Browse for the corrupted Excel file.
- From the selection menu, select the damaged Excel file and hit Choose ‘Open and Repair’ after that.
- Tap on Repair.
Microsoft Word will attempt to repair the file in case of corruption. If the repair is successful, the file will then open.
3. Use Windows Settings
To address corruption in your MS Office applications, you can utilize Windows Settings to rectify the installation of Microsoft Office. The following steps can help repair all Microsoft Office applications, such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint:
- Press the Windows key with the key I to open Windows Settings.
- Tap on Apps > Installed Apps.
- Now scroll through the apps and choose the MS Office app you want to repair.
- Next, choose the Modify option located just below the program’s title.
- Select the Repair button and then the Continue button.
- After the repair is completed, you will receive a prompt to restart your computer.
4. Use MS Word/Excel Repair Tool
In critical scenarios like this, our suggestion is to install a specialized tool that offers the highest assurance in repairing Office files. There is a wide array of Excel repair software solutions in the market designed for recovering corrupt Excel files. An excellent choice among these is the Stellar Toolkit for File Repair. Let’s explore how this tool can effectively assist you in the restoration of corrupted Excel, Word, PPTs, and even damaged PDF files.
- Download and install Stellar Tool for File Repair.
- Within the tool’s interface, choose the specific Microsoft Office file you wish to repair. For instance, if you need to repair a corrupted Excel file, select ‘Excel’.
- When the window pops up, mark the checkboxes next to all the corrupted files you wish to repair.
- Tap on the Scan button, and the repair process will commence.
- Subsequently, click the Save button, and press the Enter key.
- Finally, tap on ok.
“What sets this software apart is its absolute transparency; it provides a preview of the recoverable information, conveniently displayed on the left side of the app. This means you can examine the data before initiating the recovery process.”
Repair Your Corrupted Excel, Word, and PowerPoint Files Without Any Hiccups
If you have a corrupted Excel, Word, or PowerPoint file, don’t panic. There are a few things you can try to repair and recover your data. First, try using the built-in repair tools in Excel, Word, or PowerPoint. If the built-in repair tools are unable to repair the file, you can try using a third-party repair tool. By following the methods outlined in this guide, you can significantly increase your chances of recovering corrupted files and ensure that you never lose critical information due to file corruption.