Apple has always been known for being different from the rest in its league. Each new launch means new features to look forward to while some would just be welcomed with shrugs and skepticism. The latest surprise by the company is the absence of home button in iPhone X that literally left Apple fans feel homeless. While nothing can be done about this missing feature for now, there are other features too that have been changed in iPhone X. One of such functions that has been shifted is the Device Firmware Upgrade(DFU) mode.
This shift of the DFU mode has left many users hassled and we understand that. So, in this tutorial we will show you how to put the iPhone X into DFU mode. Just follow these simple steps
What is DFU Mode?
DFU mode is a state where your iPhone can interface with iTunes without booting the operating system. When an iPhone is in DFU mode, the screen is completely black.
Why You Need DFU Mode On your iPhone X?
You can use DFU mode for downgrading/upgrading firmware and also customise the firmware for a jailbroken device.
So, let us have a look at a easy to follow, step-by-step tutorial on how to put iPhone X in DFU mode.
Steps To Enter DFU Mode On iPhone X:
Before starting the procedure, make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. Also, it is suggested that you take a complete data backup of your iPhone.
Once updated, follow the steps below to enter DFU mode on your iPhone X.
- Connect your iPhone X with your computer using cable and launch iTunes.
- Now, switch off your iPhone by tapping on Settings > General.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the options and tap on Shut Down.
- Next, Power off your iPhone by swiping the slider to the right.
- Once the phone is switched off, press and hold the Power Button or Side button on the right side of your iPhone for 3 seconds.
- After that, press and hold the Volume Down button located on the left side while still holding down the Power button. Keep holding both the buttons for approximately 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, release the Power Button or Side button, but continue to long press the Volume Down button for approximately 5 seconds. You will see a message from iTunes, “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.”
- Release the Volume Down button as soon as you see the above message.
- If your iPhone screen turns black, it means that you have successfully entered in the DFU mode. iTunes will then send an alert to your iPhone and it will be restored.
Note: In case you do not see the black screen, it means you have performed the steps incorrectly. You will have to repeat the steps above all over again to enter into DFU mode.
In this article, you have learned an easy way to put the iPhone X in DFU mode, but you do need to be careful while using it. When you enter into this mode, you need to be aware that functioning of your phone can go haywire in case of physical damage to the device.
If a DFU process is interrupted, there is a possible chance of an iPhone with minor issues getting worse or in some cases becoming completely unusable.