Need a quick solution to fix “Windows printer driver is unavailable”? Consider using a professional driver updater utility like Advanced Driver Updater to identify outdated, missing, damaged, corrupted, and incompatible drivers on your device and replace them with the latest and most compatible versions.
Keep reading to find more workarounds to fix the problem “Printer driver is unavailable on Windows 10”!
Printer problems that lead to error messages like printer driver unavailable, a printer driver is unavailable, or the printer driver is unavailable occurs when your computer fails to recognize the printer. Not only this, if the printer driver is outdated or corrupted, then too, but you also face problems with printer drivers. Therefore, to resolve the issues listed, you need to reinstall the printer driver.
Reinstalling a printer driver might sound simple, but it isn’t. Those who have limited knowledge about the device face a lot of problems when looking for the right driver. Therefore, in this article, we will explain both manual and automatic methods to fix printer drivers that are unavailable on Windows 10. Simplest of all is undoubtedly an automatic method, as it doesn’t require you to do much work. For this, we would suggest using an excellent driver updater utility calling Advanced Driver Updater.
However, if you want to try the manual method first here, we go.
Basic Troubleshooting to fix the printer says the driver is unavailable. The enlisted steps are simple but effective; they’ll help resolve almost all printer related errors.
- Disconnect and then reconnect the printer
- Power off and then power on the printer
- Restart printer and PC simultaneously
- Try to use a different USB port.
So, these are the basic steps to fix the issues. Even though they sound simple don’t overlook them, try using these steps to fix Windows 10 printer drivers is an unavailable error. However, if things don’t work, then try using the different methods listed below:
Ways To Fix Printer Driver is Unavailable on Windows 10 (2022 Updated List)
Here’re some of the tried and tested workarounds to fix the Windows 10 Printer Driver is Unavailable issue.
Technique 1: Update Printer Driver
The error message, the printer driver is unavailable occurs if you are running an outdated driver. You can update a driver by following the steps below:
- Type Device Manager in the Windows 10 search bar and click the search results.
- This will open the Device Manager window for you.
- Now look for Printers and expand it.
- You’ll see the name of the printer you are using, right-click, and select Update Driver.
- In the subsequent window click “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
Windows 10 will now search for an update. If it is available, you will be notified. To install, follow on-screen instructions, and restart the PC when prompted. This should fix printer driver unavailable problems on Windows 10. If the problem still exists, let’s move to the next step.
Technique 2: Update Windows 10 on Computer
Sometimes Windows updates can be responsible for drivers unavailable on printer error messages. Though automatic Windows updates take care of the problem, sometimes we need to check it manually and update Windows.
To check for Windows 10 update manually follow the steps below:
- Open Setting menu by pressing Windows + I.
- Select Update & Security options.
- In the new window, click on Check for updates. If an update is pending, you will see the Download option. Click on either of the alternatives whichever is available to update Windows.
- Windows will now start downloading pending updates. In case you get a low disk space message, you can fix it by following the steps explained in the earlier post. When prompted to restart the PC now try to print the document, printer says the driver is unavailable error should now be resolved.
If this too did not help, move to the next technique.
Technique 3: Run SFC scannow
Another primary reason responsible for printer drivers is unavailable error messages on Windows 10 is corrupt or damaged system files. To fix it we can use Windows inbuilt utility SFC scannow. This will help fix corrupted files.
- Type Command Prompt in the Windows search bar.
- Right-click and select Run as administrator from the context menu.
- Now in the cmd window, type SFC/scannow and press Enter key.
Your Windows 10 will now be scanned for damaged files once detected they would be fixed by the utility. This should fix the problem. However, if it persists, move to the next method.
Technique 4: Reinstall Printer Driver (Manually)
If you are reading this method, it seems the steps above were not much of a help. Therefore, to fix the driver unavailable on the printer, we will need to reinstall the printer driver.
Searching for a driver manually is like searching for a needle in a haystack. But to resolve printer drivers is unavailable on Windows 10 we need to do it.
- Type Device Manager in the search bar.
- Navigate to Print queues option under Device Manager window
- Expand and right-click on the name of the printer > Updater driver.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software option.
- Click browser > navigate to the location where you downloaded and saved the latest driver for the printer.
- Follow on-screen instructions to reinstall the printer driver.
Technique 5: Update Your Drivers (Automatically)
Found the above method complicated? Worry not; you can skip reinstalling the printer driver and consider updating them with the latest and most compatible versions. For this purpose, we recommend using a reliable driver updater utility like Advanced Driver Updater. The application identifies old, corrupted, missing, damaged, and incompatible drivers flawlessly.
So, without further ado, let’s look at how this amazing utility works so we can immediately eliminate the annoying “Windows printer driver is unavailable” issue:
1. Download and install the latest version of Advanced Driver Updater on your PC. It is compatible with Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP & Vista versions.
2. Once successfully installed, initiate the scanning process and let this driver updater software identify outdated, missing, damaged, corrupted, and incompatible drivers on your device.
3. Within a few moments, the scanning process will be completed, and you will be able to preview the list of faulty drivers on your Windows PC, including the printer-associated driver version.
4. We recommend clicking on the ‘Update All’ button to resolve all the driver-related conflicts. Alternatively, you can find the printer driver also and hit the Update button next to it to install its latest version.
That’s it! Don’t forget to restart your computer. With the latest driver version, you will no longer face the annoying “Windows 10 .printer driver is unavailable” issue.
For most users, the problem of “printer driver is unavailable on Windows 10” should be fixed. If the issue persists, consider trying the last workaround shared below!
Technique 6: Reinstall Printer
If all the above methods fail to fix printer drivers unavailable on Windows 10 error message, you’ll need to reinstall the printer. This is the best way to fix irregularities. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Power off and disconnect printer.
- Type Add Or Remove Programs in the search field.
- Select the printer you wish to uninstall.
- Let the uninstallation process finish.
- Restart your system and then reconnect and power on the printer.
- Use the installation disc or USB to install printers.
That’s it, using these simple steps you can fix printer unavailable error messages on Windows 10.
Wrapping Up Our Guide On “Windows Printer Driver Is Unavailable” Error! (2022)
Hopefully, one of these methods will help you overcome the common printer driver-related problems, including “printer driver is unavailable” and so on. Keep your hard disk optimized, avoid installing driver updates from unofficial sources and keep your Windows OS up-to-date to avoid common PC conflicts.
Besides the aforementioned methods, if you find any other alternative solution to fix the “Printer driver is unavailable on Windows 10,” feel free to share them in the comments section below!