Crashing of Facebook and Messenger is not a new thing on a device. It mostly happens if your Android device is clogged or has not been updated for a while. Either the app or the device could be the reason for the crash. However, there could be other reasons for it too. Resolving the issue needs to follow some simple steps.
Why Does the Facebook App Crash?
There are a number of causes that may trigger an application to crash. Similar reasoning can be used to explain why Facebook keeps crashing on Android. Insufficient storage space on your device is one of the major reasons Facebook keeps closing on Android. Numerous reports have identified a second factor to be the outdated app version or the Android version which causes the compatibility issues.
Ways to Fix Facebook App Crashing On Android
In this post, we have listed the troubleshooting steps to resolve Facebook app crashing on Android
1. Restart The App
Whenever a Facebook app crashes or stops responding, you can always restart the app. Sometimes, this simple step can fix the issue. If you don’t know how to do so, let us tell you. Simply close the app and make sure it is not running in the background. Now, launch the app again and see if the problem persists or not. If this is not a temporary bug, the problem will most likely reappear with the Facebook crashing on your screen immediately or after some time.
2. Restart Your Phone
If the first step doesn’t help you resolve the issue, restart your phone, this will refresh the background processes and the app might start working properly. A quick reboot of your device is all that is needed. To make sure none of the other applications are hindering your Facebook usage, hit the Power button for 10 seconds to turn off the phone. After a few moments, turn it on again by pressing the Power button again for 10 secs. Or you can also simply use the restart option after pressing the Power button.
3. Check for an App Update
If both the above methods don’t work for you to resolve Facebook app crashing on Android issue, then move to this one. You might have not updated the app in a while. Every developer releases updates for the app to resolve issues and induce improvements. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to Google Play Store and locate Facebook app
- Check whether there is an Update button just below Facebook.
- If yes, then click on Update. This will fix all the bugs within the app
4. Clear Facebook App Cache and Data
As Facebook stores a significant amount of data and cache which could slow the device, if you clear the cache and data, you might see a change for the better in the behavior of the app. Follow these steps to clear cache and data from the Facebook app:
- Open Settings.
- Go to Apps and Tap on it.
- Locate Facebook app and tap on it to get to its settings.
- Tap Clear Cache and then Clear Data
- Restart your Android and now launch Facebook app
5. Delete the App and Reinstall
If clearing cache doesn’t work, you can delete the Facebook app, restart your device and reinstall the app.
To do that follow these steps:
- Go to the Google Play Store and search for Facebook.
- Tap on the Facebook option and you can see the Uninstall option here, tap on it.
- Check whether there are improvements.
- Now, close the Play Store and relaunch it and reinstall Facebook on your device.
Check whether there are improvements.
6. Update Android
To resolve Facebook app crashes on Android, if none of the above steps work for you, you can check for updates for your Android device. Sometimes pending updates may be the culprit. Follow these steps to update Android:
Note: Turn on Wifi to speed up the download process.
- Go to Settings.
- Locate System Update and tap on it to open.
- Tap on Check updates
- It will show if any updates are available. If yes, then tap on the update to initiate the download
7. Reset Phone to Factory Settings
If nothing worked for you, then consider resetting your phone to factory settings as a last resort to fix Facebook app crashing on Android. When you reset the device, all the data stored in the internal memory of the device will be deleted. After resetting, install Facebook and other apps. Let’s know how to do it:
- First Backup your data.
- Locate Settings from the home screen.
- Navigate Backup & reset
- Now tap Factory data reset
- You will get the option of what to preserve.
- Tap Reset phone
Now your Android phone will restart and it will be just as it came out of the box. Now reinstall the Facebook app on your device. Open it to check whether the Facebook app keeps closing issue is resolved or not.
We hope now the answer to ‘why does Facebook keep stopping on your Android’ is clear to you. Try the methods and let us know what worked for you!