Buying an Apple MacBook surely sounds a costly affair, especially when you are unsure about its features, disk space or whether your professional software will be supportive or not. For all cases like that, a refurbished or a second-hand Mac can break the ice halfway.
Excited? Great! But do you think checking mere physical damage and a quick discussion with the first-hand owner can solve all the problems? Totally, No! To remain safe from any kind of trouble in the future, let’s explore some unavoidable tips that you must keep in mind.
Buying A Used MacBook: Things You Should Keep In Mind (2023)
Before making this educational investment, make sure you consider the below-mentioned tips:
1. Identify The Age Of Mac
Before you move ahead to buy the second-hand Mac, make sure to confirm the serial number. Find out this serial number by clicking on the Apple icon on the top-left of the screen > About this Mac. The next pop-up will let you know other details like Processor, Memory, etc. as well.
Once the serial number is found out, open checkcovergae.apple.com and enter the serial number. Enter the verification code and the details about the device show up including the date of purchase, warranty, etc.
2. Check The Health Of Used MacBook
From health here, we mean to keep a note of its battery life! No laptop ever has a lifelong battery and buying a new one can cost approximately $200 without taxes. Surely, you do not want to spend more bucks in this situation.
Understand that an Apple battery counts 1000 load cycles providing its worst-case presentation.
As a second-hand Mac buyer, you should demand its value less than 500, safest case. Now how to find out the battery of refurbished Mac?
Hold the ‘Option’ key along with Apple icon on top-left and click on ‘System Information’. A new window comes up, click on ‘Power’ from the left slide and note the ‘Health Information’. Though if you wish to slide in official details, click the support page.
3. Confirm The Receipt + Key Check
If you are satisfied with the checks above, ask for the original receipt or digital copy (comes with online purchase). This is necessary to have an idea whether this second-hand MacBook is stolen or purchased authentically.
Apart from it, open the laptop and use all the keys. It has to be taken care that every key is working without any trouble and letters are printing on-screens swiftly.
Also, do not forget to check the display conditions or any type of color error.
4. Do Not Miss To Run Built-in Hardware Test
This is kind of really important before giving the green signal. Though the process of testing its hardware will take approximately an hour, it expresses the inner condition of the MacBook. How? Remove all the external attachments including mouse, keyboard and place the laptop on a flat surface.
- Shut down the MacBook and restart with the power button.
- Long press ‘D’ key until the Apple Hardware Test icon appears on the screen.
- Select your language, click the Right arrow. Optionally, you can also select ‘Perform Extended Testing’. Now click the ‘Test’ button.
- Once the test is done, check the result and analyze it in detail.
5. Use Cleanup My System
You finally got yourself a Macbook. Before using it, optimizing it for smooth performance is a must. For that, you can consider using Cleanup My System. It’s a top-notch Mac Cleaning & Optimization software that brings a complete package of tune-up utilities to thoroughly clean, speed up Mac and protect personal data. The application will assist you with a simple interface, making it a suitable option for both newbies and advanced users.
So, how does Cleanup My System help in your long-lasting journey with your MacBook?
- It comprehensively cleans your second-hand MacBook in a few clicks. If the previous user has left cache files, log files, or redundant applications, the software will remove them all.
- It saves disk space by uninstalling any unnecessary applications and removing old/large files.
- It helps in enhancing overall boot time by managing needless Launch Agents & Login Items.
- It comes with the Mail Attachments module, to remove all the unwanted, partial downloads and other redundant files left from the emails from the refurbished Mac.
- Deletes away all the junk files, trash items & more that can slow down the speed & overall performance of your Mac.
- Saves your time & effort, that might be consumed in manual cleaning, optimization & protection. Use the One-Click Care to enjoy a significant boost in performance.
Great, isn’t it? Try using Cleanup My System on your old MacBook and keep it running like a new, shiny machine with faster and smoother performance than ever!
Opening Up Your Re-Newed Laptop
After passing through all the steps mentioned above, your Mac is ready! Browse the websites, download new files, organize them or do anything, the laptop will behave like your own new asset. But make sure that each of the steps is taken seriously so as to avoid any kind of difficulty in the near time.