Computer-aided designing has evolved over the past few years and gone are the days when modeling an object – human, animal, furniture, or anything else, required a heavy-duty desktop with software. And, if you are looking for a 3D model maker for an iPad, you have come to the right place.
What is 3D Modeling?
|It is a technique used in computer graphics and animation for producing a 3D image of any object or surface.|
What Features You Can Expect from A 3D Design App for iPad –
3D model makers for iPad offers a host of features quite like their desktop counterparts. In fact, you might learn and explore something new every time you use an app. Here are some features that you can look for after you have installed a 3D modeling app on your iPad –
- Is the modeling engine used by the app, the same as that of professional modeling software used on a desktop?
- Can you export or import objects/ assets into the app from a variety of platforms?
- Is the app compatible with Apple pencil?
- Check the range of tools the app offers to create a 3D design.
- Most 3D modeling and animation apps for iPad offer AR (Augmented Reality) viewers. This way you can see how your object would look in the real world.
- See if the 3D modeling app can perform extra tasks apart from modeling such as lighting, rendering, rigging, etc?
7 Best 3D Modeling Apps For iPad
1. Shapr 3D CAD Modeling
Compatible with iPadOS 14.0 or later.
First on our list is Shapr 3D CAD modeling. It is one of the best 3D modeling apps for iPad. It is backed by the same modeling engine that powers the modeling Solidworks. On an iPad, you can initiate your concept and then export the file to your desktop for adding more granular details. Back in 2020, it was also the Apple Design awardee.
- Advanced modeling engine.
- Lets you easily connect with CAD software such as Creo, NX, and Catia.
- Create intricate 3D models and drawings.
- Works well with Apple Pencil.
- Export and import files of a variety of formats.
Price: You can get Pro Subscription for $37.99.
Compatible with iPadOS 12.0 or later.
Tinkercad is yet another great 3D modeling app for iPad pro. It comes straight from the house of Autodesk, the makers of Maya and 3ds MAX. Whatever it is that you can think and imagine – from 3D designs to printable parts, Tinkercad helps bring ideas to life. It helps strengthen essential skills that designers and engineers need – electronics, coding, and 3D design.
- View designs in AR
- Create 3D designs with the help of Tinkercad Codeblocks.
- Connect, code, and simulate circuit components with the help of microcontrollers like the micro:bit and Arduino.
- See how designs will look in the real world using the dedicated AR viewer.
- Apple Pencil compatibility.
Compatible with iPadOS 15 or later.
Architects, construction professionals, interior designers, and in fact many in the field of 3D designing swear by this 3D modeling app for iOS. It has an intuitive 3D design app that helps you convert your sketches into 3D models. It has a 3D warehouse that has millions of ready-made materials, parts, and programmable objects that you can download.
- For drawing 3D designs you can use Apple Pencil, multi-touch gestures, mouse, and keyboard
- AR viewing features
- Import objects and apply textures from your Photos library, files app or using your device’s camera
- Import satellite imagery, location information, etc to design with context to the real world
- Dig into granular details like hidden geometry, face styles, shadows, section planes, and section cuts.
Price: Free for 7 days after that subscription i.e. SketchUp Go starts at $119/ year
Compatible with iPad 13.0 or later
Sketch, edit, visualize, export, render or perform whatever task it is related to 3D modeling with UMake. It lets you design with a touch of a button. You can choose from a comprehensive library of elements, templates, and textures pertaining to both graphic design assets as well as furniture.
- Drag and drop templates, floor plans, scenes, interiors, and graphic design compositions onto your canvas and get started instantly.
- Use snap tools, dimensions, sketch planes, and many other elements.
- Organize your work layerwise and add Geometry grouping.
- Several presets for lighting and rendering.
- Supports Apple Pencil.
Price: Free trial available. Get a uMake annual subscription for $95.99 and a monthly subscription for $15.99.
Compatible with iPadOS 14.0 or later.
Onshape is touted as a great cloud-native product development platform. Although this app caters to more seasoned users, that said, it is great for teams as they can design, and collaborate without affecting each other’s work. It offers an exhaustive set of parametric modeling tools.
- Parametric tools to design parts in part studios and capture complex motion by creating mechanical assemblies.
- Collaborate with other team members in real-time.
- Follow mode lets you see what your teammate is seeing and you can even add comments.
- Support for Apple Pencil.
- Multi-touch gesture controls so that you can accurately interact with distinct parts of your model.
6. Sculptura 3D
Compatible with iPadOS 15.2 or later.
Love character sculpting but can’t get your hands on a tool like ZBrush, you can give Sculptura 3D a try. What makes it a credible 3D modeling app? Its advanced clay engine and tools, that, already have been tested by industry-level artists such as Rob McCallum.
- A high-res Sculpting engine saves the plight of triangles and meshes.
- GPU acceleration.
- Long undo history.
- A toolset you can easily grasp – carve, smooth, deform, cut, cylinder, pinch, sphere, flatter, move and resize.
- iCloud integration and ability to change viewpoints.
Compatible with iOS 15.0 or later.
Last but not least, we have Shapeyard. This 3D modeling app for iPad lets you create hard-surfaced and organic models with complete control of the detail you want. For beginner modelers, Shapeyard can be a great tool, to begin with.
- Intuitive 3D modeling tools for beginners.
- Effortless modeling.
- Flexible topology i.e. topology is auto-created in the resolution set by the artist.
- Entire construction history is saved. Even if you implement changes to one part, the rest won’t be affected.
- Easy texturing with procedural materials and industry-standard painting with no UVs and pixels to worry about.
Price: Free trial available. You can get the pro version for $14.99.
If you have been putting off your dreams of becoming a 3D designer just because you don’t have a heavy-duty desktop or have inadequate skills, worry not! Because first, you can start with a 3D model design app right on your iOS device and second most of these apps come with abundant learning resources with the help of which you can enhance your knowledge in no time at all. You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Flipboard, and Pinterest.