The world we know is constantly changing and so is the technology, trends, and our way of living. Almost a decade ago, the skill of typing was for professionals who worked on computers. And today, with everything turning digital and online, typing skills are required by almost everyone, from professionals to school children. Thus it becomes important for kids to master typing skills since childhood as this would not only be beneficial now but later on as well. This article focuses on the best fun typing games for kids among the many available in the app market.
For Adults, who want to improve their typing speed and accuracy, click here.
List Of Best 10 Typing Games For Kids To Learn Faster
There is one thing for sure, that until the course is designed under the “Learning Can Be Fun” pattern of education and skill development, it is going to be very difficult for the parents to get their children to start anything. Keeping that in mind, I have listed only those apps that can be termed as fun typing games for kids. These web apps are free to play and practice and are suitable for kids of all ages.
List of Contents
1. Free Typing Game
The first one on the list of free typing games for kids is the Free Typing Game web app. This website offers three different options to its users namely Games, Lessons, and Tests. It is recommended to start with the Lessons first and then practice with the Games and finally, the Tests would help determine how much you have learned. Some of the other features are:
- There are 30 different lessons to choose from.
- Different game themes to keep the children interested.
- Available in English & Spanish
- Customization of games and lesson is possible
Moving on, towards the next free typing game for kids, we have KidzType that has a huge collection of typing games and allows users to choose the difficulty level. This is one web app where parents will have to check the games to identify which one is most suited for their kids. Some of the difficult ones include Car Rider and Bull Spell. Other features include:
- Includes various lessons classified into the top, middle, and bottom rows.
- Also includes exercises and practice
- The finger chart helps to understand the basics of typing
- Offers a free certificate after kids successfully pass the typing test.
3. Learning Games For Kids
Learning Games For Kids website is one of the fun typing games for kids that offers many different games, including typing that helps kids memorize the entire keyboard. There are over 20 different options to choose from and the challenges range from easy to hard. This app also includes a speed and accuracy test. Other features are:
- It includes Spelling and Art games as well.
- There few animated videos that include the alphabet, vowels, colors, etc
- Lessons include typing, syllables, and analogies.
When looking for typing games for kids in kindergarten, you cannot miss checking Turtle Diary which covers over 30 games like Balloon Typing, Under Water Typing, etc. Users can select the difficulty level along with the keyboard area to practice. There are a total of 51 lessons for typing which are grouped under Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced category. Some of the features are:
- Includes a lot of games for children in Preschool up till 5th
- There are a lot of learning videos and quizzes.
- Printable section includes worksheets and coloring
- There are teaching tools that help parents and teachers to train the children.
Also Read: How To Use Google Docs For Voice Typing
5. Slime Kids
Slime Kids provides a lot of options for kids to choose from among different games that all focus on improving the typing speed of the children. These games do contain familiar concepts like shooting aliens or playing Pac Man but with a modification inclined towards letters and typing them.
- There are no lessons or tests but a lot of challenging typing games.
- This website also contains children’s book reviews.
- Users can also play educational games other than typing like Wordspector and Letter Weave.
Another one on the list of free typing games for kids is Typing.com. This website provides difficult and challenging typing games which are entertaining at the same time. Some of the interesting games are Keyboard Jump and ZType. It supports English, Portuguese and Spanish languages.
- Helps keyboard strokes of Punctuations and Special Characters.
- Special lesson for the numeric keyboard.
- Many games, tests, and themes to choose from.
Also Read: 7 Best Typing Tutor Software For Windows
Talking about fun typing games for kids, one cannot miss ABCya which has many games categorized under different grades. In addition to the grade-wise sorting, the games are also sorted under various categories like Math, Food, Story, Art, Music, etc. Although there is no separate category yet for typing games, users can access these games by typing “TYPE” in the search box followed by Enter.
Some of the other features include:
- Over 100 games to choose from.
- A separate section for Parents & Teachers.
- Games are sorted into various
8. Dance Mat Typing
If you were looking for free typing games for kids that were developed by/for a well-known organization, then your search ends right here. Dance Mat Typing is managed by the BBC which is one of the most popular news stations across the globe. This teaching tool has four levels consisting of three stages divided by letters and rows.
- Helps with Touch Typing.
- Levels can be accessed from the same point the next day.
- Very easy and intuitive interface.
9. Nitro Type
Nitro Type is an amazing fun typing game for kids which are suitable for teachers and students alike. This tool is developed by teaching.com and is great for typing practice. This game is a racing game which is a worldwide real-time typing competition.
- There is one Typing game that matches the standards of professional racing games.
- Teacher’s dashboard for tracking student’s activity.
- Users can create and join teams and invite friends.
The final free typing game for kids is Typetastic that has around 14 fun games where you can practice typing. These games have 3 levels and are fun and interesting to play. Some of the most enjoyable games are Astro Bubbles & Letter Trucks.
- Introductory games.
- Special training for numbers and symbols.
- Timed tests.
- Typing Fluency.
Bonus Gaming Apps for Kids
Typing is undoubtedly an important skill that your kid should learn, but two amazing apps can help your children learn Alphabets and Math at an early age. Let us check these apps which are available on the Android platform for now and can be easily installed on tablets and smartphones.
Bonus App 1: ABCD Drawing App
ABCD Drawing App is a fun app that innovatively teaches kids the English Alphabet using musing and drawing as support tools. This app makes learning and writing the alphabet fun and enjoyable especially for toddlers. It is a small app of 10 MB and does not consume most of the phone’s resources. Some of the features include:
- Learn Alphabet: Each letter has a unique shape and sound that helps pick up things faster.
- Musical Drawing: Listen to music and leans about different colors and shapes – all-in-one.
- Practice Writing: Tap on any letter of the alphabet and run your finger creating its shape.
- Colour Book: Fill colors in different shapes and characters.
- Free to use
- Learn, play, and have fun at the same time
- Uses all senses
- No ads
- Learn alphabet, numbers, colors, and shapes
- None Identified
Bonus App # 2: KidsMathApp
Now that your kids know all about alphabets, it is time to teach him/her some basic mathematics. This is one subject that many children run away from but with KidsMathApp, your kid will feel different about Math and that too in a positive manner.
KidsMathapp is a learning app that can train young children with the basics of mathematics namely, Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division. It provides a unique learning experience and encourages kids to use more of the app as they receive medals as they progress. The difficulty level increases with each level and is easy to use with a simple app interface.
- Free to use
- Learn, play, and have fun at the same time
- Enhance cognitive ability
- Learn Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide
- None Identified
The Final Word On 10 Typing Games For Kids To Learn Faster
It has become important for parents and teachers to introduce typing games to their children and students as early as possible. They are enjoyable which makes it fun to use them quite often and while the children are having fun, they do not realize that the familiarity with the keyboard and typing skills are being subconsciously inculcated into them.
For any queries or suggestions, please let us know in the comments section below. We would love to get back to you with a solution. We regularly post tips and tricks, along with answers to common issues related to technology.