We often multitask to get two jobs done simultaneously to use our time efficiently. The same thing is practiced on our iPad as well. We can work on two apps concurrently such as answer our emails while watching your favorite movie by using multitasking feature which is included now with iOS 11.
In this post, we have listed some of the methods that could be used to split screen to multitask on iPad.
1. Turn Multitasking Features On Or Off
Before proceeding further, we need to turn multitasking feature on or off, for which you need to go to Settings. Then navigate to General and then locate Multitasking & Dock, you can do the following things:
- Allow Multiple Apps:
Turn off this option if you don’t want to use Slide Over or Split View.
- Persistent Video Overlay:
Turn it on if you want to use Picture in Picture.
Turn it on if you want to use gestures for multitasking such as, to get the app switcher, return to the Home screen, and more.
- Show Suggested and Recent Apps:
This option when turned on, will show recently used apps on the right-hand side of the Dock.
2. Use Gestures to Switch Between Apps
Sometimes, when you are working on iPad and want to work on multiple things at a time, go to home screen or just have a quick look on app switcher, you can use this:
- See the App Switcher:
Double Click the home button or from the bottom corner of your iPad screen, swipe in upward direction with one finger to get App Switcher. Once it is up, you can Swipe right with one finger to locate and launch another app.
- Return to The Home Screen:
To return to your Home screen, pinch four or five fingers together on the screen.
- Switch Apps:
To switch between apps, you can swipe right or left with your four or five fingers to go back to the previously used app.
3. Work with More Apps Concurrently With Dock
Dock is located at the bottom of your iPad’s home screen. The Dock allows you immediately launch and toggle between apps which you’re currently using. For more convenience, you can also modify the left side of the Dock and keep most used apps. On the right-hand side, you will get apps that you used recently and show your apps that you used on your Mac or iPhone. If you want to get Dock up while working on an app, all you need to do is swipe up with a finger from the bottom corner of the screen.
If you want to personalize Dock with your most used app, touch and hold the app on the home screen and drag it to the left side of the Dock. If you think that you don’t need an app on the left hand side of the Dock, then you need to touch and hold the app and drag it off the Dock.
4. Use Two Apps at The Same Time
With Dock, it is simple to access more than one app simultaneously. Bring the Dock up by swiping up at the bottom of the screen. Now drag an app out of the Dock to either make it Slide over or drag it to the left or right end of the screen to get a Split View.
a) Open Another App Using Slide Over
Slide over is used when you want to use an app that slides in front of already opened app or two open apps in Split View. Follow these steps to know how:
- Open any of the apps, you want to work on.
- Bring Dock on the screen by swiping in upward directions from the bottom of the screen.
- Now on the Dock, locate the application that you want to launch, touch and hold the second app and drag it to your screen.
If you want to launch any other app apart from the two apps in Slide Over, bring up the Dock by swiping up from the bottom of your screen. Drag the app to the top corner of the app divider. To change the position of the app which is opened using Slide Over, follow these steps:
- Touch and hold and drag it to the left or right side of the screen.
- You can change the position of the app as well, and slide it back when you want to access it. To do that, you can place your finger on and drag the app to the right and off the screen. If you wish to use the app, all you need to do is swipe left from the right-hand side of the screen.
b) Use Two Apps Simultaneously With Split View
You can work on two apps concurrently with Split View. You can write an email and check photos at the same time.
- Launch an app and bring up the Dock by swiping up from the bottom.
- Touch and hold the other app that you need to launch and drag it to the right side or left side of the screen.
- The app might come up in Slide Over, to change it, you can drag in an upward direction.
- You can adjust Split View to get the use of it. With app divider, you can adjust and give apps equivalent space on the screen. Drag the app divider in the middle of the screen.
- If you want to change Split View to Slide over, swipe in downwards direction from the top of the app.
- To close Split View, you can drag the app divider over the app.
c) Use Picture In Picture To Work On Apps While Watching A Video
Let’s say you are watching your favorite movie and have to urgently send a reply to message, you can do it with Picture in Picture.
If you’re watching a video or having a conversation on FaceTime, tap the symbol and the video screen will decrease and go down to the corner of your display.
Now open any other app and the video will resume playing. You can also change the location of the video by dragging. If you want the video to be on full screen then tap on button to do it.
5. Drag and Drop Between Apps
Drag and Drop is a very useful way to move your photos, text or files from an app to another. You can drag text from browser to Notes and a picture from your Photos library into an email and more. Follow the steps to know how to use it for Split Screen for multitasking with drag and drop:
- Open two apps on which you want to work in either Split View or Slide Over.
- Now touch and hold the thing until it lifts in the upward direction. In case, you want to select many things, touch and hold an item, drag it marginally then keep holding it whilst you tap on other items with another finger.
- A badge will show the number of selected things.
- If you want to drag and drop any text, select the text first and then touch and hold the text until it lifts in the upward direction. Now drag it to another app and drop it there.
So, these are some of the tips that you should know before using split-screen multitasking on iPad. Try them and you will be able to multitask seamlessly on your iPad.