Instagram Stories is a fun feature that allows users to share photos and videos that disappear after 24 hours. However, sometimes users face issues with Instagram stories repeating themselves. This Instagram app problem can be frustrating as you may end up posting duplicate stories without realizing it.
In this article, we will discuss the reasons why Instagram stories repeat themselves and provide fixes to solve this issue.
Whether you use Instagram on your phone or desktop, the solutions outlined here will help you troubleshoot and stop stories from repeating on your Instagram feed.
Instagram Stories Repeating: Top Reasons
There are a few reasons why you may encounter repeating Instagram stories:
- Connectivity issues: Slow or unstable internet connection can lead to stories not posting properly and then repeating when connectivity improves. Stories failing to upload due to weak signals may try uploading again, causing duplicates.
- Uploading from multiple devices: If you upload stories from different devices linked to the same Instagram account around the same time, this can result in duplicate posts.
- Reposting expired stories: When your stories expire after 24 hours, Instagram saves them in your archive. If you repost expired stories from the archive, these may show up again on your profile if you still have followers who didn’t see them the first time.
- App glitches: Sometimes a bug in the Instagram app itself results in stories inadvertently getting posted twice. The app may falsely think the story failed to upload properly and then repost it.
- Spam filters: Instagram’s spam filters may sometimes cause posted stories to disappear. Later, they may reappear if the filters erroneously flagged them as spam.
- Switching between accounts: If you operate multiple Instagram accounts on the same device, switching between them while posting stories can create duplicates if you aren’t careful.
As you can see, technical glitches on Instagram’s end or due to poor connectivity are the main reasons for Instagram stories repeating unexpectedly.
Also read: How To Fix Instagram Camera Not Working?
How to Fix Repeating Instagram Stories
Solution 1: Check Internet
If your internet connection is slow or unstable, Instagram may not register the story you watched as ‘Viewed.’ Therefore, it’s important to make sure your internet is reliable.
If you’re posting stories over a poor Wi-Fi or mobile data connection, switch to a stronger network. Only post stories when you have a stable connection to avoid failed uploads.
Solution 2: Check the Instagram Server Status
If you notice Instagram Stories repeating, it might mean Instagram’s servers are having problems. Check if Instagram is down. If it is, you might face issues like being logged out, unable to view pictures/videos, and problems with loading reel videos.
Solution 3: Restart your Device
It’s a good idea to restart your device before attempting any troubleshooting. Restarting your phone closes all its services and functions, which can help eliminate bugs and glitches that might be causing issues with the Instagram app. On Android, press and hold the Power button, then choose Restart. For iPhones, press and hold the Power and any volume buttons to access the Power Menu. Once there, select Power Off and then turn it on again.
Solution 4: Force Restart Instagram App
If Instagram servers are operational and the stories keep repeating, you can try force-stopping the mobile app. Although it may not be the ideal solution for resolving the Instagram Stories repeating issue, it’s worth giving it a shot.
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Scroll down and select “Apps” or “Application Manager,” depending on your device.
- Find and tap on “Instagram” in the list of installed apps.
- Tap on “Force Stop”.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen (for iPhones without a home button) to access the App Switcher.
- Find the Instagram app in the App Switcher by swiping left or right.
- Swipe the Instagram app card upwards or off the screen to force close it.
After force-stopping the Instagram app, reopen it and check if the issue persists. Keep in mind that this is a temporary solution, and if the problem continues, it might be related to other factors beyond the app itself.
Solution 5: Clear Instagram’s cache
Clear the cached data and cookies associated with Instagram from your phone or computer’s browser settings. Over time, accumulated cached data may interfere with the smooth uploading of stories.
By removing these stored files, you can enhance the performance of the Instagram application, ensuring a more seamless experience when sharing and viewing stories.
Solution 6: Update the Instagram app
Make sure your Instagram app is running the latest version available for your iOS or Android device. Regular updates are designed to address and resolve any bugs that may lead to the recurrence of stories. By keeping your app up to date, you ensure that you have the latest improvements and enhancements, reducing the likelihood of encountering issues with repeating stories and enhancing the overall performance of the Instagram application on your device.
Check the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) for any available updates and install them to benefit from the latest fixes and features.
Solution 7: Log out and log back in
Quickly log out and log back into your Instagram account on the app or website to refresh your session. This clears out any corrupt data causing repeating stories.
Solution 8: Contact Instagram support
If you still encounter persistent issues with repeating stories despite attempting the previously mentioned solutions, it is advisable to contact Instagram’s help center to report the problem.
To do this:
- Open the Instagram app on your device.
- Navigate to your profile by tapping on your profile picture in the bottom right corner.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the top-right corner to open the menu.
- Select “Settings” at the bottom of the menu.
- Scroll down and tap on “Help.”
- Choose “Report a Problem” and follow the prompts to describe the issue of repeating stories.
Providing detailed information about the problem, including when it started and any specific patterns or occurrences, can assist Instagram’s support team in addressing and resolving the issue more effectively.
Get Rid of Duplicates Easily: Download and Install Duplicate Photos Fixer App
In addition to fixing repeating Instagram stories, you may also want to remove duplicate photos and videos from your camera roll. The Duplicate Photos Fixer app available for iOS and Android makes it easy to delete duplicate images, free up storage space, and organize your photo library.
This powerful app scans all your photos and videos to find identical copies from various sources like WhatsApp, social media downloads, camera shots, screenshots, and more. It allows you to safely delete duplicate files in one tap without losing your favorite photos.
Duplicate Photos Fixer can prove very handy in cleaning up your phone’s storage after downloading stories or media from Instagram. So get the Duplicate Photos Fixer app to remove duplicate photos along with troubleshooting Instagram Stories repeating issues.
For iOS –
For Android –
Repeated Instagram stories can be annoying, but thankfully there are ways to troubleshoot and stop your posts from duplicating. Check your internet connectivity, post from one device at a time, and avoid reposting expired stories to prevent common issues.
Keeping the Instagram app updated, toggling Airplane mode, clearing cached data, and logging out and back in can also help resolve glitches. And remember to simply give it some time before retrying if a story fails to upload.
With these handy tips, you should be able to successfully troubleshoot and resolve any Instagram stories repeating issues you encounter. Just be patient and systematic in working through the fixes. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Pinterest.