Today, without any warning, my Windows 10 computer restarted randomly, and all I could see was a blue restarting screen. This irritated me as I was in the middle of writing an article.
But I was lucky enough to resolve the PC random reboot problem. So, if you too have encountered this problem, don’t worry. We’ve got a fix for computer restarts randomly.
How to fix PC Randomly Restarts Issue on Windows 10,8, and 7
Usually, in the case of Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), Windows restarts, and this is normal. But when the PC restarts without any error, this becomes a problem. Several users have reported the issue of random computer restart without any warning or error message. When working, during gameplay, making a presentation or writing something important this happens, we might lose the work. Therefore, knowing the reason and fix for it is important. So, here we explain why this happens and how to fix the random system restart.
What Can Cause Random PC Restart On Windows Operating System?
There are a few things that are responsible for automatic PC restart. They are as follow:
- Faulty RAM
- Overheating or corrupt power supply
- Corrupt Automatic restart feature settings
- Not enough time to read the error message
In other words, we can say the problem is related to RAM or GPU or PSU (especially when it happens due to overheating). But in some cases, the corrupt graphic driver can also cause random PC restart problems.
Now, we know the common reason for the automatic random restart on Windows. Let’s learn how to fix it.
How to fix PC Randomly Reboots
Here we explain 4 fixes using which you can fix the problem. Some might be able to fix the problem after 1st fix, and some might have to try them all. So, just work your way down and see which solution works for you.
- Disable automatic restart feature
- Edit power settings
- Reinstall graphic card driver
- Check power supply
Disable automatic restart feature
Often due to faulty restart feature settings, you face this problem. Therefore, to check if it is creating a problem, we will need to disable it. To learn how to do that, follow the steps below:
1. In the Windows search bar, type My computer (if you are using Windows 10 you will see This PC). Click Properties from the right pane.
2. Click Advanced system settings.
3. In the new window that opens click Setting, under Startup and Recovery.
4. Here, uncheck Automatically restart > OK.
5. Once done, use your Windows system as you would and see if you encounter a random restart.
If it works fine, then you know Automatically restarting the feature was the problem. However, if this doesn’t help move to the next step.
Edit power settings
1. Press Windows + X keys and select Power Options from the menu.
2. Click Additional power settings.
3. Now click Change plan settings
4. Hit Change advanced power settings
5. Here, make sure you see Balanced . Now scroll down and look for Processor power management. Expand it and click the Minimum processor start. Here, set On battery percentage and Plugged in percentage it to the low state for example 5% or even 0% > Apply > Ok
6. Now, use your PC, and you should not face any problem.
Reinstall graphic card driver
An outdated, corrupt, or faulty graphic card driver can also cause random computer restart problems. To fix it, you can update the driver manually via Device Manager. But if you find it too technical or are not confident, you can leave the job for Smart Driver Care.
This Windows compatible driver updating software automatically checks your system for outdated and corrupt drivers. To use it, you don’t need information about your system, nor do you need to worry about installing the right or wrong driver. Smart Driver Care allows for updating outdated drivers and system software. You can update drivers using both Free and paid versions. The only difference is when you use the free version to update drivers, you will have to click the Update Driver option next to each outdated driver. However, if you are using the paid version, drivers can be updated in just two clicks. Not only this, but you also get a 60-day money-back guarantee.
To use Smart Driver Care and resolve random PC restart, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install Smart Driver Care
2. Click Scan Now to allow Smart Driver Care to scan the system for outdated and faulty drivers.
3. Wait for the scan to finish
4. Now click Update Driver next to the graphic driver. This will automatically download and install the driver. (you need to do this if you are using the Free version.) However, if you are using the paid version, you can click on Update All and update all outdated drivers.
5. Once done, restart your system to apply changes.
6. Use your system so you should not face any problems.
Check power supply
Sometimes due to a problem in the power supply unit (PSU), you might face random PC restarts. To check if it is creating issues, replace power cables and power supply units. Now see if you face the problem. If not, the power supply and cables were faulty.
This is all. Hope using the solutions to your problem was resolved. Do let us know which method worked for you. Feel free to comment and share your suggestion in the comments box.