Many Windows 10 users complain to encounter Steam Disk Write Error when either updating a game, opening a game that needs to be updated or downloading a game. If you too are facing the same error message and being prevented from playing a game, here’s a guide with a quick solution to fix Steam Disk Write error.
|Note: Instructions explained below will work on Linux and Mac also.|
Why do you Encounter Steam Disk Write Error – Windows 10
When during game update Steam is unable to download and save data on computer storage you receive Steam Disk Error While Downloading. This error is generally accompanied by the following error messages:
Besides, you can encounter disk write error when:
- The Steam folder or drive is write-protected
- The hard disk is corrupt
- Firewall or antivirus installed on Windows 10 machine blocks Steam from downloading and saving data
- Due to outdated or corrupt files in the Steam directory
13 Ways to Fix Scan Disk Write Errors
Method 1 Restart Steam and PC to Fix the Disk Write Error – Launch Steam window. Top-left corner > Steam > drop-down …. Detailed steps
Method 2 Clear Steam Download Cache – Launch Steam > Settings > Downloads > Clear Download Cache…. Detailed steps
Method 5 Update outdated drivers – Download Smart Driver Care > run scan > download driver update …. Detailed steps
Method 6 Delete o KB files – Run window > %ProgramFiles(x86)% > Enter > Steam > steamapps > common …. Detailed steps
Method 7 Run flushconfig – Run window > steam://flushconfig > Enter Steam folder …. Detailed steps
Method 8 Verify integrity of game files – Steam > Library > Right the game using which you are facing a problem …. Detailed steps
Method 9 Remove disk write protection – Command Prompt > Run as administrator > diskpart > …. Detailed steps
Method 10 Delete corrupted file log – Run window > %ProgramFiles(X86)% > Steam > logs > …. Detailed steps
Method 11 Check firewall – Launch firewall > disable …. Detailed steps
Method 12 Disable antivirus program running on your system – …. Detailed steps
Method 13 Other workable fixes …. Detailed steps
How to Fix Steam Disk Write Error?
Official Steam Troubleshooting
Method 1: Restart Steam and PC to Fix the Disk Write Error
No matter what the problem is restarting, a system always helps. Even when you face BSOD, disk error you do it, and Steam disk error is no exclusion. To restart Steam and PC follow the steps below:
Steps to restart Steam:
- Launch Steam
- Click Steam in the top left corner > open drop-down menu
- Select Quit Steam or Exit from the menu.
- This will close Steam.
- Re-launch it, if you are logged out, re-login.
Now see check and see if the steam disk write error is gone or not. If this doesn’t work, try restarting the PC. To do so, follow the steps below:
Restart your Computer:
- Click the Windows icon > Power icon.
- Select Restart to fix the steam error on Windows 10.
Method 2: Clear Steam Download Cache
If the above method doesn’t work, try clearing Steam Cache
- Launch Steam > Settings.
- Downloads > Clear Download Cache.
Re-launch Steam and see if it works and the disk write error message is solved or not.
Method 3: Run Steam as an Administrator
Sometimes running the application as administrator helps solve specific issues. Therefore, to resolve Steam Disk Write Error, we can try running Steam as Administrator. This will give extra permissions, thereby fixing errors.
- Head to the Steam folder
- Right-click Steam.exe > Properties
- Click Compatibility tab > under Privilege > check mark the box next to Run this program as an administrator > Apply > Ok.
This will run Steam as administrator and will help fix Write disk error when downloading or updating a game on Steam.
Method 4: Move Game Folder
To fix Steam disk write error try installing the game on another drive. If the error is due to hard disk failure, this will help. If this works, create a new Steam Library folder on the new drive and install games. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Launch Steam
- Head to Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders > Add New Library Folder
Now try downloading Steam games you should not face Steam Disk Write error while downloading.
Method 5: Update outdated drivers
An outdated or corrupt driver can be responsible for this error message. Hence, to fix it, we will try updating the driver and will see if the problem is fixed. If you don’t want to install it manually, you can use Smart Driver Care to install it automatically.
Smart Driver Care is an advanced driver updating tool that scans your system for outdated drivers and installs them in a single click. To use it no need to know hardware name, model number, the program detects all of it to download and install the correct driver.
The best part about this driver updater is that you can use both the Free and paid version. Using the Paid version, you can download all outdated drivers at once; however, in the trial, you will have to download and update each driver one by one.
1. Download and install Smart Driver Care.
2. Click Start Scan to run the program and detect outdated drivers.
3. If using the paid version, click Update All. In the case of the trial version click Update next to each outdated driver.
4. Restart your computer to save changes.
Now try updating the game or downloading it so you should not face disk write error.
Method 6: Delete o KB files
Sometimes due to 0 KB file, you might face disk write error when running Steam games. To resolve it, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + R keys.
- In the Run window, type %ProgramFiles(X86)% and Enter.
- Head to Steam/steamapps/common.
- Scroll and look for a file with 0KB size. If you find any, delete it.
- Re-launch the game or repeat the process you followed when you received the error message.
This will fix Disk Write Error, and the problem will be fixed.
If this too doesn’t help move to the next step.
Method 7: Run flushconfig
This will help flush cache files and fix Steam games error message:
- Completely close Steam.
- Press Windows + R.
- In the Run window, copy-paste steam://flushconfig and press Enter.
- When you get a box to confirm an action, click OK.
- Restart your PC.
- Press Windows + R keys
- In the Run window, copy-paste %ProgramFiles(X86)% and press Enter.
- Look for the Steam folder and double click it.
- Find Steam.exe and double click this will launch Steam.
- Next, try updating or downloading a Steam game to check if the write disk error on Steam is fixed or not.
Still, no luck? Worry not, here we have other fixes too.
Method 8: Verify the integrity of game files
When certain game files are corrupt, you might face this issue. Hence to resolve and check if all files are in place, verify the integrity of game files.
- Launch Steam > LIBRARY
- Right the game that is giving issues > Properties.
- Local Files > VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES…
- Wait for game cache verification to finish.
- Exit Steam. Re-open it and now check if the problem is fixed or not.
Method 9: Remove disk write protection
If the disk you are using is written protected chances of you facing this error message increase. Therefore, to fix it follow the steps below:
- In Windows search bar type Command Prompt
- From the search result select it and click Run as Administrator from the right pane.
- Type diskpart, press enter.
- Next, type list disk enter followed by select disk # enter followed by attributes disk clear readonly enter.
Ensure to press Enter key after each command.
- Exit Command Prompt.
- Attach the hard drive. Now run the game to download or update it and see if Disk Write Error While Downloading is gone or not.
Method 10: Delete corrupted file log
Corrupt means something that’s not correct. If Steam log files are corrupted, you might face this error message. To fix it follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + R keys together.
- Copy-paste %ProgramFiles(X86)% and press Enter.
- Head to Steam/logs/content_log.
- Scroll down to find the “failed to write” error. If you find the file, follow the name and path of error, delete the corrupted file, and then see if the problem is fixed or not.
However, if there’s no file close the window and then try to update or download a problematic game.
Method 11: Check firewall
A firewall can prevent Steam from connecting to servers. Therefore, to fix the problem, try adding Steam to the safe list or disable it temporarily to check if the problem is fixed or not.
Method 12: Disable antivirus program running on your system
Besides the firewall, your antivirus can be the culprit too, behind Disk Write Error when downloading or uploading Steam games. To confirm, try disabling the antivirus and add Stem to the exception list.
Method 13: Other workable fixes ….
If none of the above steps worked, try reinstalling Steam as this could help fix unknown Steam issues responsible for Disk Write error.
|Do not uninstall Steam as this will delete all game progress and other settings. Simply, reinstall Steam on the same location.|
Repair Library Folder
Sometimes due to change in user’s permission installed Steam games might give an error message. In such a case refresh permission. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Launch Steam > Settings.
- Click > Downloads > Steam Library Folders > Right click on folder > Repair Folder
This will help fix error messages you receive while downloading or updating a Steam game.
Change Download Region
Content on Steam is divided into geographical regions. This means the Steam client automatically detects regions and uses content servers of that region. Sometimes due to overload, you might face the error message. To resolve, try switching to an alternate download region using another server and see if this helps.
To do so, head to Steam > Settings > Downloads > Download Region.
This is a bit of a lengthy process as you will have to test several regions other than your own.
Restart Modem or Router
If you have not restarted the modem or router for long, you might face problems. Try restarting them as this could help fix Steam disk write error.
To get maximum speed and to use all CPU resources people do overclock. But this slows down system performance. Hence to resolve to disable overclocking and fix things.
With this, we come to the end of the post on how to fix the Steam Disk Write error message. We hope the steps explained above helped fix the error message.
However, if you still face the problem, you can try changing the network and connect the PC to a new one. Sometimes a different service provided helps fix Disk Write error Steam. Alongside you can check RAM for errors. To do so press Windows + R keys. In the Run window, enter mdsched and press Enter.
This will bring up the Windows Memory Diagnostic. Restart the system and see if disk write error while downloading a Steam game is resolved or not.
Please let us know which step worked for you. This will help us and readers know the most effective method.
Steam Disk Write Error FAQ
How soon can we repair the Steam Library folder?
If a firewire connection form or internal connection is being used, it should take about 20-30 minutes. However, in the case of USB, this time is just double.
Why won’t any of my Steam games launch?
It seems your antivirus or firewall is blocking Steam games. Therefore, to resolve it, try disabling both firewall and antivirus temporarily and try running, downloading, or upgrading the Steam game.
Do all Steam games work on Windows 10?
Yes, Steam is fully compatible with all versions of Windows 10.
Try any of the above-given solutions to fix Steam disk errors. In case you have anything to share please let us know. Also, connect with us on our social media handles.