If you are struggling with a black screen issue on your Windows laptop, then it is time to fix it following a few simple steps. It includes hardware and settings tweaks that help you fix this annoying problem. Let’s discuss how to do it.
Ways To Fix Black Screen Issue On A Laptop (Windows)
Few quick ways could save you from unnecessary trouble caused due to the black screen. The primary solutions include:
- To restart the explorer.exe process
- Enter safe mode and undo recent changes
- Hard reset the system
- Reinstall memory
- Laptop service
Now that one of these methods has worked on your laptop, you also need to follow the below-mentioned steps.
Solution 1: Restart The Explorer.Exe Process
Explorer.exe is an essential process on your system that manages a lot of crucial aspects of your system, including desktop, taskbar, etc. It is possible that this critical process is disabled or closed due to unknown reasons or virus attacks. In this case, the process is closed; in that case, the desktop and taskbar will become invisible on your PC, showing your black screen. To fix this issue, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- On the Task Manager window, select the Details tab.
- Here, scroll through the list to find a process called explorer.exe.
- Once you find it, right-click on it and select End Task or End Process.
- Reboot the laptop and check if the problem is fixed.
In case, you are not able to see the explorer process, follow below-mentioned steps to run it on your own:
- On Task Manager window, click on File and select Run New Task option.
- Once you are on Create New Task dialog box, type explorer.exe, and press Enter.
- Now, the process will run to help you fix the problem.
If you find the desktop is running, then you may need to restore your system to a previous state. It will be useful to avoid further issues occurring again.
Solution 2: Enter Safe Mode and Undo Recent Changes
There are probabilities that the recently installed programs on your system are incompatible and causing black screen on laptop. To fix this problem, you can try to run your system into Safe Mode. To run your Windows 10 system into Safe Mode, check this guide.
Once you have run your system into safe mode, try to undo all changes you have done recently. Try to uninstall the program that you have installed recently, which might be causing trouble. You can also undo any updates you have performed recently. If nothing works in such a case, then System Restore is an excellent solution to keep your system back to a previously known safe state.
Solution 3: Hard reset your laptop
Another solution to fix the black screen issue on a laptop is to hard reset your Windows laptop. To do this, follow these steps:
- Turn off your laptop and disconnect all peripheral devices.
- Remove the battery from your laptop. If it is not removable, skip this step.
- Disconnect the power cable attached to your system.
- Press and hold the power button for approx one minute.
- Next is to connect the power cable again and turn on your laptop.
- Turn off your laptop.
- Insert the laptop battery and turn your laptop again.
That’s it. It will probably bring back your device screen to life.
Note: The hard reset process mentioned here may not work well with all laptop makes & models. You need to consult the manufacturer’s guide to find out the way to hard reset your laptop if these steps don’t work.
Also Read: How to Fix Google Chrome Goes Black Problem
Solution 4: Reinstall memory (RAM)
Another reason that could cause a black screen issue on your laptop is RAM. The RAM mightn’t be installed correctly or causing trouble due to other issues. To fix the black screen issue on your laptop, you need to reinstall the RAM on your system. To do this, you can simply remove the RAM from your laptop, clean it and try to reinstall it to fix the problem.
Solution 5: Get Laptop Service
If everything else fails, get your laptop serviced. You can talk to the professionals at the manufacturer’s service center to let your laptop repaired. It will surely help you fix the black screen on a laptop problem.
Now that the black screen issue on your laptop is fixed, we recommend you to follow these two steps:
- Restore laptop from a restore point
- Update device drivers
Restore laptop from a restore point
To do this follow these steps:
- Search Restore in the search box and select Create a Restore Point option.
- On System Properties window, click System Restore button.
- Once you are on System Restore wizard, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the restore process.
Update Device Drivers
Another effective step is to update all the outdated drivers. To do this, search & select Device Manager in the search box on the taskbar. Once you are on Device Manager window, expand one of the categories and right-click on it select “Update Driver”. Alternatively, you can use the best driver updater software for Windows for quick and effective results.
So, this was a quick discussion on how to fix the black screen issue on a Windows laptop. Do try these steps and share your experience in the comments below.