I would like to know, have you tried fixing, ‘Application Has Been Blocked from Accessing Graphics Hardware‘ error message when you try playing video games?
If yes, let us know what you tried and did it work or not in the comments box below.
However, if you haven’t found the answer and are looking for one, my dear, you are in the right place. Here, we will discuss workable fixes to resolve ‘Application Has Been Blocked from Accessing Graphics Hardware.’
What is the Graphics hardware?
As the name explains, graphics hardware is computer hardware accountable for creating graphics and displaying them on the PC via video card, graphics adapter, graphics accelerator, etc.
The issue with graphics hardware mostly occurs when you attempt to run video games. Besides this, if third-party software interferes with the driver, then you face this error. To fix this problem, you apply the fixes explained below.
Reasons for Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware, error.
Although the exact reason for the error message is unknown, there are certain speculations. They are as follows:
- Outdated or faulty graphics driver
- Visual programs conflicting with one another
Worry not; you can easily fix this error message and can play video games flawlessly. To resolve the issue, follow the steps below.
How to fix the Application that has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware error?
By the end of the article, you will be able to fix the error message and learn how to update drivers automatically.
Table of Content
- Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter
- Update Graphics driver
- Run SFC Scan and DISM
- Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
Solution 1: Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter
Windows 10 offers a built-in tool to automatically fix errors caused due to volume errors, broken shortcuts, etc.
To run System Maintenance Troubleshooter, follow the steps below:
Note: To run System Maintenance Troubleshooter, you need an administrator account.
1. Press Windows + R
2. Type, msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic > ok
3. Click Advanced > Run as administrator > Next
4. Wait for the process to complete; if any errors are detected, the System Maintenance troubleshooter will fix them automatically.
Now, try to run the video game; you should not face the Application which being blocked from accessing graphics hardware and error. However, if the problem persists, move to the next step.
Solution 2. Update Graphics driver
The device driver helps the operating system and the software to interact with hardware. In simple words, it is the translator between the software and the hardware that ensures instructions are smoothly carried by hardware and software.
When the device driver is outdated, a corrupt or faulty device stops functioning properly, and you might face BSOD or Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware error. Hence, to fix this error, we need to update the outdated drivers.
This can be done via Device Manager the old-fashioned way or updated automatically in a few clicks.
If you choose to do it manually, you need to know the device’s model number, name and version of the operating system, bit, and other details. To learn how to update drivers manually, click here.
However, if you value time and know doing so manually can be tricky, here’s how to update drivers automatically.
1. Download, install and launch Smart Driver Care.
2. Click Start Scan Now and wait for the scan to finish.
3. This best driver updater will list all outdated and corrupt drivers.
4. Once you have the scan result, click Update All to update the outdated drivers.
Note: Clicking Update All will prompt you to purchase the product. If you don’t want that, you can update 2 drivers for free. However, we suggest updating all drivers as this will fix the Application that has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware and fix other driver-related issues.
5. After updating the driver, restart the PC; you should no longer face the error.
Solution 3 – Run System File Checker and DISM
Sometimes when system files get corrupted, you might face “the Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware” errors. We can use System File Checker (SFC), Windows built-in utility that checks for system file errors to fix it. To use it, follow the steps below:
1. Type Command Prompt in the Windows search bar
2. Select the search result > right-click > Run as administrator
3. Here, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
4. Wait for the command to run.
5. Once done, reboot the system.
Note: If SFC doesn’t help or cannot run it, we suggest performing Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) scan. This will help repair Windows images. To run DISM, follow the steps below:
1. Open elevated Command Prompt
2. Type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth > Enter
3. Wait for the command to execute.
4. Now, restart the system and run the video game; you will not face any problem.
Solution 4 – Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
If none of the steps have helped so far, let’s try running hardware and device troubleshooting. This will help diagnose and hardware related issues. To use it, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + I
2. Select Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Hardware and Devices
3. Run the troubleshooter
4. Windows will now scan the system for any issues. This process might take time, so wait for the process to finish.
5. Next, follow on-screen instructions to fix detected issues.
6. Once done, restart the system; this should fix the error message and help play your favorite video games.
Using the solutions explained above, we hope you can fix the Application that has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware error and is enjoying playing video games. However, if you face any problems, do let us know. Also, we’d love to hear from you about which solution worked, do let us know the same in the comments section.
Before ending the post, a small tip for advanced users.
Note: We do not recommend making any changes to Windows Registry as it is an integral part of Windows. A small mistake can make the system inoperational. This means you should use this step only when you are sure about making the changes; else, you can skip it. To make changes in the Windows registry, follow the steps below:
Press Windows + R > type regedit.exe > here navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE — SYSTEM — CurrentControlSet — Control — GraphicsDrivers. Right-click the empty space > New
Select the DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name it TdrDelay
Double click the TdrDelay key and change the value to 8 > ok
Reboot the system.
We hope by following these steps, you could fix the Application that has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware. If you want us to write on any other topic, do let us know.
Mridula NimawatUpdating devices drivers helps.
Shankthanks for this blog.. now i can fix this issue